New Harry Potter Spin Off Films to be written by JKR

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

New Harry Potter Spin Off Films to be written by JKR

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them
Warner Bros. has announced a new Harry Potter-related film series based in the world of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie will be an “original story and will mark Rowling’s screenwriting debut. It is planned as the first picture in a new film series.”

What’s more, the series will focus on the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Newt Scamander. According to Rowling, the first film will be set 70 years before the first Harry Potter book in New York.

MuggleCast is back! Listen to our new episode discussing the Fantastic Beasts movie news.

Here is J.K. Rowling’s full statement about today’s announcement:

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

“We are incredibly honored that Jo has chosen to partner with Warner Bros. on this exciting new exploration of the world of wizardry which has been tremendously successful across all of our businesses,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “She is an extraordinary writer, who ignited a reading revolution around the world, which then became an unprecedented film phenomenon. We know that audiences will be as excited as we are to see what her brilliant and boundless imagination conjures up for us.”

In addition to today’s movie series announcement, Warner Bros. and Rowling have also agreed on distribution deals related to The Casual Vacancy television miniseries as well as a continued theme park partnership.
Apparently JKR Does not have enough money?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Harry Potter Spin Off Films to be written by JKR

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I want to know what that world looks like outside of Britain, so I'm delighted at the prospect of seeing magical New York.

Edit: Depending on how much time this series covers, we could also see stuff like the rise and fall of Grindlewald happening in the background. Great opportunity to develop the setting.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

My thing is remember the great expectations with the new Star Wars movies and with the new Indiana Jones and the let down.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Different situations. Different films in different series made by different people.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah, how about we wait and see rather than immediately assuming it's going to be bad.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Coming on the heels of Universal confirming Jurassic World, my reaction is the same: Enough already. Please!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

They're making something different from the other Harry Potter films. There's a new premise, a new story, and a new protagonist. This should be applauded. Their are series that lack such originality.

And a wonderful thing about this idea is that it has a premise that virtually ensures adventures all over the world. We could really see the wizarding world for the first time.

This could suck. But it could also be fucking excellent.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

They also didn't let it stew in classicness for twenty years before deciding to do more with it as well.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Wasn't a big fan of the films, but maybe being written for the silver screen from the start will make this better. As others have said, wait and see.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Also, this will be the first film written by Rowling. Of course, that could be a bad thing since she has no experience writing screenplays.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm sure that for such a potentially big-ticket project, there will be no trouble bringing in someone experienced to consult?

Anyway, Rowling not having money... heck, she might just be looking for ways to keep busy. Even if her royalties give her enough to live on a comfortable middle-class lifestyle for the rest of her life, she might still find she needs to do something productive to feel fulfilled, and since she's been tremendously successful for many years by writing, finding something new to write and a new creative project to engage in might well be something she's perfectly happy to do... and the salary still wouldn't hurt. :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I see no problem with her continuing to write stuff, she's a good author. If she writes more stuff in the HP world I'll happily buy and read it. It's not like she's some hack who had one successful book and is using that to hype up new stuff.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

To give her her due. I was joking about the money thing. It sounds like its more Warner Brother wanting more from the franchise than anything else.

JKR has been trying new things for the fun of it it seems. The Casual Vacancy, the mystery book under a pseudonym. And even here, she's trying something new in writing a screenplay.

Still, this could be good. But I'm not instantly hyped for it.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm not instantly hyped either, i don't see a reason to be all squee or whatever the term is. But nor do I see a reason to be "it'll be shite."

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

My position is not "It will be bad" but "Lets wait and see"
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm optimistic in that I think this has the potential to be incredible. However, it's possible that that potential will be wasted
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Considering the poor quality of the main films, with the possible exception of Azkaban, my expectations are low to start with. But it could be fun to see an extension of the wizarding world.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I never really understood the extensive love behind the style over substance that was Azkaban.

Anyway, to be cautious about a series of movies unrelated to the talent behind the main series trikes me as horrendously irrational. Steve Kloves, the weakest link, is not involved. Cuaron and Newell likely won't be. It would be nice if Yates was, but he won't be. New people with Rowling having more involvement is good.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Chimaera wrote:Considering the poor quality of the main films, with the possible exception of Azkaban, my expectations are low to start with. But it could be fun to see an extension of the wizarding world.
I think the relatively poor quality of the main films was their source, at least once they started taking from long source material but only keeping to one movie. They were books first and basically ported. If I understand this correctly, this is actually being written for the screen right?
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

I don't know. I always thought the HP universe was pretty shallow, constrained as it was to the POV of a teenager that lived outside the most interesting parts of it. I'll be interested to see just what they can do with this, how they can open up the world.

I really have no reason to not like this project, besides the usual internet hipster kneejerk "they're remaking the same things again!" so we'll see how it goes. I'm almost completely certain that I've outgrown the series, but this is the sort of idea that I can get behind.

Also. Simon_Jester: just comfortably middle class? :)