Super Mario Bros. movie getting a comic continuation

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Super Mario Bros. movie getting a comic continuation

Post by FaxModem1 »

Digital Spy
Super Mario Bros: The Movie' gets comic book sequel
Published Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 6:56am EDT | By Hugh Armitage | 10 comments
Tweet 34
Submit
Super Mario Bros: The Movie will receive a comic book sequel.

The comic book creators have been meeting with the film's writer to create an in-canon follow-up.

Super Mario Bros: The Movie 2

© Applebaum/Hoss

Super Mario Bros: The Movie 2

"Following discussions with original writer Parker Bennett, Steven Applebaum and Ryan Hoss have scripted a new adventure that continues right where the film left off," reads the project's website.

"Join Mario, Luigi and Princess Daisy as they explore new locations and creatures inspired by the games, yet adapted in the film's unique cyberpunk style."

The story will incorporate elements that had been intended for a movie sequel.

The 1993 film Super Mario Bros: The Movie starred Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper.

Watch the final scene of the film below:

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a ... z2d8wtO3D5
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
The cliffhanger, in case you forgot it.

So, who would have ever thought this cliffhanger would get resolved?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Super Mario Bros. movie getting a comic continuation

Post by Borgholio »

I never gave it much thought. My childhood was raped by that movie.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Borgholio wrote:I never gave it much thought. My childhood was raped by that movie.
Fuck you, that movie was great.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Wow, just wow...

I never would have seen this coming. Isn't this the movie that's generally cited as the reason why adaptations of video games to other media generally doesn't work, and is almost universally panned as horrible. Though to be fair I don't think I've actually ever seen the movie since I went to see it with my late grandmother when it first came out almost 20 years ago. About the only distinct thing I remember was the King Koopa was a guy who turned into a T-Rex or something, and the goombas weren't little mushroom men. Perhaps I'll have to see if it was ever released on DVD. As a lifelong Mario fan I feel I need to give this a fair shake, no matter how horrible it may potentially be.

Damnit, between this and the MLP comics I may yet end up buying comic books. To think that not being into comic books and not playing real D&D were the only nerd cliches I didn't fulfill. Oh well, I still know noone in real life who plays D&D so I guess I still have that...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah, great at being possibly one of the first (of many) video game movies that resemble the original material in name only. Where were the Goombas (the real ones, not the shrunken headed zombies)? Where were the Koopa Troopas? How was King Koopa just a guy with a funky hairstyle? When did the Mushroom Kingdom turn into a steampunk dungeon resembling a cross between LV-426 and Total Recall?

Sorry, I went to see that movie with high hopes and found myself wondering when we'd actually get to see "Super Mario Brothers"
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Let's be honest. A straight adaptation would be unfilmable, or would suck, as the Tomb Raider movies.

They did the best they could.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I loved that film as a kid, and I don't think it's a horrible watch. But Super Mario Bros is something that isn't well-suited for live-action depiction, simply because the setting is so colorful and whimsical. Stuff that looks fine in animation would look either frightening or bad in live-action/CGI form. The closest the movie came to depicting something in the games well with live-action stuff was Yoshi.

A comic book follow-up could be good for that storyline, since they can draw whatever they want and stylize the whole thing. I just don't know what story they'll be telling, since Bowser's dead and the King of the Dino City is now "human" again.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm of the mind that anything with Bob Hoskins is worth watching, but I liked SMB mainly because it didn't take itself seriously and was pretty batshit crazy. Also, I was young and the Dungeons and Dragons movie was still years off. I haven't read a comic since my high school buddy loaned me some Spawn anthology, but this might be worth a look for the utter insanity.
Spekio wrote:Let's be honest. A straight adaptation would be unfilmable, or would suck, as the Tomb Raider movies.
I personally enjoyed the Tomb Raider movies for what they were: Indiana Jones knock-offs with Jolie looking incredible. Most of the movies problems were that the villains didn't feel threatening (in anything other than a "I'm evil because evil is cool" sort of way) and the weird pacing and frivolous scenes with emphasis on things like Jolie and Butler having a motocross race when there's people around who are known to be paranoid murderers. I don't think the faults have anything to do with the source material, just poor implementation.