And the new Batman is......

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

And the new Batman is......

Post by Dartzap »

Bit of a blindsider *cough*
Ben Affleck has been cast as Batman in a forthcoming Superman sequel, bringing together the two superheroes in one film for the first time.
The 41-year-old will star opposite British actor Henry Cavill, who will reprise his role as Superman from the most recent film, Man of Steel.

Director Zack Snyder revealed the big screen superhero mash-up at a comic convention in San Diego last month.
Production is expected to begin next year for release in the summer of 2015.

"We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular super heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill and then some," Warner Bros President Greg Silverman said in a statement.

Mr Snyder, who also directed Man of Steel, said in a statement that Mr Affleck will provide an "interesting counter-balance" to 31-year old Cavill's Clark Kent.

"(Affleck) has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world
sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne," said Snyder. "I can't wait to work with him."

The sequel - which has yet to be given a title - will reunite Man of Steel stars Amy Adams (Lois Lane), Laurence Fishburne (Perry White) and Diane Lane (Martha Kent).
Christian Bale most recently played Batman in director Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Michael Keaton and George Clooney have also donned the black mask and cape in previous Batman films.

Ben Affleck's film Argo, which he starred in and directed, won an Academy Award for best picture earlier this year.

The superhero genre is not new to Mr Affleck, who previously starred as the blind hero in the 2003 Daredevil film based on the Marvel Comics.

Batman and Superman are part of DC Comics universe, which is part of the Warner Bros Entertainment division.

Revenues from the latest films featuring Superman and Batman have exceeded $1bn (£655m) in recent years.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: And the new Batman is......

Post by Gandalf »

I'm confident that he can do a decent job.

Seeing the angry social media outbursts reminds me of when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker. It's not like Affleck can't act or something.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Affleck can't act though. This is why he's far better respected as a director or producer. He's always wooden as hell and unengaging. But I'm kinda not fussed about this sequel, so I'm not going to go ape over it.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Nerdageddon in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

:lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

I was hoping they were going with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. But other than that, I don't really care much.

On Affleck, while I liked his first two directing efforts, Argo left a bad taste, since it made a the CIA agent the hero, spitting in the face of the true heros ( i.e. the canadian ambassador) and the other countries embassies, because "FUCK YEAH 'MERICA!".

EDIT:

Saw this, had to share.

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Affleck can't act though. This is why he's far better respected as a director or producer. He's always wooden as hell and unengaging. But I'm kinda not fussed about this sequel, so I'm not going to go ape over it.
He also said that playing Daredevil was a "humiliation" for him.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Affleck was the BOMB in Phantoms yo! *HIGH FIVE*
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If 'Man of Steel' is any indication I don't really care much one way or the other about this movie, but I don't feel Affleck will inevitably be a bad Batman. I liked him well enough in 'Daredevil', who is an at least superficially similar character.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Seems that Bryan Cranston has signed a six picture deal to play as Lex Luthor. Rumor only but it seems that it'll be confirmed once Breaking Bad ends.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Cranston's a good actor, but it's strange to think of the guy who played the goofy dad on Malcolm in the Middle playing one of the greatest super villains in history.

Edit: a six film deal? They must have high hopes about the success of the films.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Cranston's a good actor, but it's strange to think of the guy who played the goofy dad on Malcolm in the Middle playing one of the greatest super villains in history.
Have you seen Breaking Bad? Actors are capable of playing multiple types of roles.
Havok wrote:Affleck was the BOMB in Phantoms yo! *HIGH FIVE*
Phantoms like a motherfucker! *high five*

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm not saying Cranston can't play Luthor. I'm looking forward to it. But it still seems strange.

I haven't seen much of Breaking Bad. It doesn't seem like my kind of show.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm not saying Cranston can't play Luthor. I'm looking forward to it. But it still seems strange.

I haven't seen much of Breaking Bad. It doesn't seem like my kind of show.
Then you don't realize how well Cranston can play a villain.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Just about confirmed that Cranston will be Luthor.

The six picture deal might end up being ten. Yowza!
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Man, I do so love studio delusions of grandeur. :lol:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

fgalkin wrote:Man, I do so love studio delusions of grandeur. :lol:
Maybe the stinger at the end of these films will be Luthor gathering the defeated villains to be part of the Legion of Doom?

- George Carlin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
One thing that WB/DC can do is Superman and Batman. It isn't any kind of stretch to think they can get 6 movies out of them.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

They proved they can do Batman. Superman's last two films were rather dour all things considered and could have done a lot better.

I still remember what happened with the first Batman film series. They managed a decent 4, but 5 killed the franchise for about a decade.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Justice
Youngling

Post by Justice »

Havok wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
One thing that WB/DC can do is Superman and Batman. It isn't any kind of stretch to think they can get 6 movies out of them.
From what I understand, it's not full films, but appearances. For example, Affleck will appear in 13 films, meaning he's going to be going around into a lot of other films in secondary roles or cameos. Seems the same with Luthor.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Majin Gojira wrote:They proved they can do Batman. Superman's last two films were rather dour all things considered and could have done a lot better.

I still remember what happened with the first Batman film series. They managed a decent 4, but 5 killed the franchise for about a decade.
5? I thought there was only 4 "Batman", "Batman Returns", "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin", unless you mean a movie series based on the Adam West TV-series.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Lord Revan wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:They proved they can do Batman. Superman's last two films were rather dour all things considered and could have done a lot better.

5? I thought there was only 4 "Batman", "Batman Returns", "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin", unless you mean a movie series based on the Adam West TV-series.
Nah, you're right. I got the number wrong.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I'm cautiously optimistic, I've only ever really seen Affleck in Daredevil, but considering that was 10 years ago, we can all stand to move on from...that. As for how secure the DC movies are, Man of Steel has made in the region of $650 million, plus from what I heard, many tens of millions more from licensing and advertising. Obviously that doesn't mean every DC film in the future will hit those figures, but I think it bodes well for the future.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You a stockholder or something?
I don't care how much money the movie makes, I care about enjoying the movie, and for the live-action post-Reeve era, where Clark is concerned, they're zero for two. Superman Returns was 'meh' at best and that was with it using the Williams theme. 'Man of Steel' was an abomination unto Nuggan.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:You a stockholder or something?
I don't care how much money the movie makes, I care about enjoying the movie, and for the live-action post-Reeve era, where Clark is concerned, they're zero for two. Superman Returns was 'meh' at best and that was with it using the Williams theme. 'Man of Steel' was an abomination unto Nuggan.
Though I love Reeves' take on Superman, the last two of his Superman movies sucked donkey balls. Superman 3 blew chunks other than the witty "evil" Supes part. Quest for Peace was pure unadulterated crap. No redeeming feature. Hell, Superman Returns was batter than 3 & 4.

Superman movies have been a hit or miss even with Reeves.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Batman wrote:Superman Returns was 'meh' at best and that was with it using the Williams theme.
The chaingun scene was good. There were a number of scenes like it in the movie, but that was the only one that really worked for me.