And the new Batman is......

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: And the new Batman is......

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Batman wrote:Um no it isn't. Because David Prowse didn't say a word as Skywalker Sr, James Earl Jones provided the voice.
I realize this. That was my point, hyperbolic thought it was. My point being that when you arbitrarily decide to discount all the scenes of Bale as Bruce Wayne, you are left with a lot of scenes of him just in the suit in action sequences. I realize it isn't the best analogy because he does speak as Batman, too. But when you are trying to decide how good of an actor he is at playing the character, I think it's idiotic to completely cut out all the scenes where he is, you know, acting.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

A good batman actor imho plays essentially 3 roles in when playing batman "bruce wayne", "dark knight" and sort of merger of the first 2 to show that he's suppose to be the same person in and out of the batsuit.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Richard Donner Cut sounds interesting...but not 55€ worth of interesting (price for the UK import at amazon.de).

And I think you're exaggerating, Ziggy (at least if I understand what you're saying). Sure, without the Bruce Wayne moments there are a lot of action sequences with Bale as Batman, but throughout the trilogy he has plenty of dialogue in-costume too, and I do think that's enough to at least tentatively establish how he does as Batman compared to his Bruce Wayne performance, which I thought was the point under discussion.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The reason people never had a problem with Batman not having a drastic voice change before BB, TDK and TDKR is because, in universe, people were fucking idiots, which fans became fine with, hence making them idiots.
This is a world where an investigative, Pulitzer prize winning journalist can't recognize Superman because he puts on a pair of wire frame glasses even though she works with him EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not to mention the ENTIRE STAFF of the biggest, most prominent newspaper in America are just as stupid as Lane.

The Nolan Trilogy was the first live action or cartoon version where Batman's voice actually matched how I read him in my head. Even the Timmverse version isn't enough of a change to justify everyone being a complete idiot about Batman not being Bruce Wayne.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Havok wrote:The reason people never had a problem with Batman not having a drastic voice change before BB, TDK and TDKR is because, in universe, people were fucking idiots, which fans became fine with, hence making them idiots.
No, that does not make the fans idiots. If this is the cross you want to die on, fine, but other people are not idiots just because their suspension of disbelief for a work of fiction is more resilient than yours.
This is a world where an investigative, Pulitzer prize winning journalist can't recognize Superman because he puts on a pair of wire frame glasses even though she works with him EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not to mention the ENTIRE STAFF of the biggest, most prominent newspaper in America are just as stupid as Lane.
Christopher Reeve does a good job of selling it in his movies, changing his posture, mannerisms, tone of voice and the things he talks about, which is apparently enough to stop "Hey, don't you think John from Accounting looks like God?" progressing to "Oh my god, he is God!" Even if it wouldn't actually work in real life, it's an interesting idea done well.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hahahahahahaha... Dude there is suspension of disbelief, which by the way numbnuts, we are already on board with reading comic books in the first place, and then there is accepting complete idiocy. Superman is complete idiocy which is why I have never bought or liked his comics or felt that he is worth much other than a guest star or in an ensemble piece like Kingdom Come where the dumb ass secret identity aspect isn't an issue. (Remember how everyone sees Captain Marvel/Billy Batson in a tuxedo and instantly recognized him... Oops he should have put on glasses :lol: )

And yeah Reeves did as good a job as you can do, but you are telling me that the most prominent journalist in the most prominent newspaper in the U.S. and her photographer and Editor in Chief aren't going to be able to figure it out? When they have seen him in both versions within arms reach? Get the fuck out of here with your "resilience" bullshit. It is accepting idiocy pure and simple, which by the way, is why writers have been trying to come up with reasons for decades as to why it works. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

One of the all too rare things I like about Man of Steel is that Lois knew who Superman was from very early on.
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

But the problem is that I can still easily recognize Bale beneath the mask. His first version of the mask which was just a ski mask is much better at concealing his identity than his final bat-mask.
Similarly the movie goes out of its way to explain how Wayne Enterprises placed separate large orders for masks and bat-ears so as not to arouse the suspicion but then Bruce just paints the one of a kind military prototype vehicle black and takes it out for a spin.
What none of the military officers and Wayne Enterprises engineers recognized the thing when they saw it on TV?

Papering over plot holes doesn't really pay out if it draws the attention of the audience to even bigger ones.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman