Batman Inc. #13 (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Batman Inc. #13 (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

Ding Dong Grant Is Gone!

So it's finally over. The Mad Scotsman's finally finished with the Bat after 7 years.

While there have been parts I liked, I can't say this is going to go down as one of my favorite Batman runs. I'm just tired of Morrison's writing style, his interpretation of Pointy Ears, and his meta-commentary. I especially don't like how he ruined Talia -- though I grant that destruction began with Rucka and Death and the Maidens. For me at least, Talia works better when morally gray.

That having been said, I don't think I disagree with the commentary he's delivered here. Like Leviathan's Ouroboros, Bats is trapped in an endless loop. Robins come and go, but Bruce will also survive. By nature of being a corporate-owned super-hero in a serialized medium, he can never truly triumph over any of his foes or grow. There's no end to his story, yet it always paradoxically comes full circle for each new run-- like the Ouroboros.

This is one reason why I've been tiring of the DCU for a while and have been leaning more towards stuff like Vertigo. It's also why I've stopped following characters and instead focused on authors whose takes I like.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to compare this finale to the early issues of his run. I think Morrison honestly 7 years ago thought he could shift and alter the paradigm and iconography and gradually realized that corporate demands make that impossible.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Batman Inc. #13 (Spoilers)

Post by Grumman »

I was going to ask how they ruined Talia, but after seeing the scans I don't need to. Ew.

(Although my first thought was "Why is Batman dressed like Judge Dredd?")
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That... made no sense.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Kathy Kane was set up in the last volume of Inc., but it really only appeals to 1970's Batman fans.

I can't help wondering if it might have made more sense is Morrison had been allowed to finish his story within the pre-New 52 continuity instead of having to accommodate the changes.

It's kinda like how part of me wishes Johns has been allowed to wrap up his GL run before having to move it into the reboot continuity.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The hell is this crap?

I mean, the artwork, the dialogue....sounds like any crap comic. Totally indistinguishable from any other comic.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I think I'd like that part about matching wits with mental patients better if it was part of a different plot. Maybe if she'd been, I don't know, staging an intervention by killing all his rogues currently in Arkham Asylum, a bitter line about how he's holding himself back by treating them like equals would fit well.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Thanas wrote:The hell is this crap?

I mean, the artwork, the dialogue....sounds like any crap comic. Totally indistinguishable from any other comic.
Chris Burnham's been trying to channel Frank Quitely, but I miss the pencils of Andy Kubert, JH Williams, or even Tony Daniel.

I've also been wondering if Morrison's run -- or at least the second half, the Batman Inc.-era -- was deliberately written as a satire of the character and DC's corporate practices.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

People bought this shit? Really?
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Imperial Overlord wrote:People bought this shit? Really?
I didn't. :)

But evidently enough people have for Morrison to churn out 50+ issues over the last 7 years.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Fuck that was bad. I already knew Grant wasn't called the Mad Scotsman for nothing, but damn, that coupled with that artwork? Seriously? One of your flagship titles, and that's the artwork inside of it?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Anyone who thinks Talia of all people is going to stay dead please raise a hand.
I see I have, once again, forgotten about the usefulness of proper pockets on the utility belt. And who's Batdredd?
Also, Kathy Kane. 'I' had to look her up when she made her reappearance in the DCU and live there. Other than 'The Silver Age was so much better than modern comics, let's bring it all back' was there any point to that?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Batman wrote:Anyone who thinks Talia of all people is going to stay dead please raise a hand.
I see I have, once again, forgotten about the usefulness of proper pockets on the utility belt. And who's Batdredd?
Also, Kathy Kane. 'I' had to look her up when she made her reappearance in the DCU and live there. Other than 'The Silver Age was so much better than modern comics, let's bring it all back' was there any point to that?

I assumed she was Batwoman...

Also, Bat, what's up with the cow?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There's no cow in any of those pictures?
And yes, she's Batwoman. She also didn't exist in modern Batman mythology until The Powers That Are Apparently Stark Raving Mad Be decided to bring her back because, obviously, everything Silver Age is so much better.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Batman wrote:There's no cow in any of those pictures?
http://abload.de/img/batmanincorporated201s3y2o.jpg

There is on the last panel of this one.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Technically, that could be an oxen as I don't see any udders but I'll happily admit I oversaw that one.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Imperial Overlord wrote:People bought this shit? Really?
Comics publishing has long relied on the fact that people will buy any old shit if you put the right brand on it.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

And yes, she's Batwoman. She also didn't exist in modern Batman mythology until The Powers That Are Apparently Stark Raving Mad Be decided to bring her back because, obviously, everything Silver Age is so much better.
They also brought her back so that they could write her as a lesbian.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Eframepilot wrote:
They at least got Greg Rucka to write her, who is one of the handful of writers in the comic world who is actually good at writing women, and an artist who can actually produce art. You can do something worthwhile with that, as opposed to this garbage writing and garbage art.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Eframepilot wrote:
Batman wrote:And yes, she's Batwoman. She also didn't exist in modern Batman mythology until The Powers That Are Apparently Stark Raving Mad Be decided to bring her back because, obviously, everything Silver Age is so much better.
That's a different one. A better one, from what I've seen of both.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman: 'BatDredd' is Jason Todd; he was posing as the new Wingman earlier in Inc. (after the original was killed pre-Batman RIP). Of course, Jason's still operating as the Red Hood, so it's a continuity mess as usual.

Spekio: I believe the Cow was rescued during a raid on a Leviathan base at the beginning of the current volume and that Damian wanted to keep it as a pet.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Also, neither Talia or Damian are going to stay dead too long.

From what I've read, Ra's grabs both of their bodies at the end of the issue and begins work on cloning an army of Damians.

So, somebody will undoubtedly follow up on this. I also fully expect someone to dig the still living Dr. Hurt out of the grave the Joker dumped him in somewhere down the road.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

You know much as I love Talia, if I could get rid of Damian for keeps losing her for keeps too would be a price worth paying. I'd still have Selina for the 'conflicted on and off love interest' angle, afterall.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

JME2 wrote: Spekio: I believe the Cow was rescued during a raid on a Leviathan base at the beginning of the current volume and that Damian wanted to keep it as a pet.
I don't know what to say to that. Hey, let's put a cow into the batcave! We have no spare room on the mansion grounds.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm reasonably certain if there were a cow in the Batcave, I would have noticed, if only because of Alfred complaining (the bats are essentially self sufficient. The cow is sort of out of its ordinary environment and needs for somebody too feed it and deal with the results of it having been fed).
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:You know much as I love Talia, if I could get rid of Damian for keeps losing her for keeps too would be a price worth paying. I'd still have Selina for the 'conflicted on and off love interest' angle, afterall.
Yeah.

Again, the decline of Talia really started with Rucka and Death and the Maidens -- and incidentally, part of me still wishes this had been the last Ra's story as Rucka intended. It still annoys me that DC brought him back after only 3 years -- and keep in mind, Ra's is my favorite Bat villain after Two-Face.