DCAU Superman: Unbound & Justice League: The Flashpoint

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: DCAU Superman: Unbound & Justice League: The Flashpoint

Post by Majin Gojira »

Havok wrote:So why the fuck does one version of Wonder Woman trump another?
Because one is the basis onto which the alterations of Flashpoint are put upon, and the other is a Hard Reset ignoring everything that came before and starting again from scratch.
The difference is that I am speaking in generalities based on the most basic principals of what WW is. Amazon Princess sent from an island of women that don't allow men any standing to make the world a better place with her XYZ. (Totally not arrogant and superior at all :lol:)
I think it's quite clear that your 'generalities' are assumptions based on inexperience. And like many people, choose to speak with authority about something that you know dick about.
And your quotes don't "prove" shit, because they are just one writers version of how he thinks WW would act which you yourself pointed out has already been wiped from canon/continuity by the newer current version which you don't like and apparently fall in line with my "yeah, she would do this under the right circumstances" so saying that they are "facts"or "evidence" is pretty fucking stupid. :lol:
1) I actually like Azzarello's run.
2) You never say WHY she would do this other than assumptions made without evidence.
3) These "Right Circumstances" generally happen OFF SCREEN.
It's like me saying "Well Frank Miller wrote her like this SO THERE!" When it comes to a character with 70 fucking plus years of versions, takes, stories it is best to use the broadest strokes when saying, yeah, this is within character instead of pointing to one specific story and saying "NO OMG THIS IS HOW SHE IS AND HAS TO BE 'CAUSE THIS ONE GUY WROTE HER LIKE THIS!!!"
1) It's not 70 that I'm working with, by the time of the reboot, it's 30
2) Those writers set up the initial strokes to begin with and (along with a few others of note) account more than half her main series run.
This version, given the setting, context and facts (attempted assassination, in the midst of a war, home island possibly destroyed, possibly having never left the island, alliance between Atlantis and Themescyra possibly to stave off humanity and whatever threats they pose, no Superman) is well within WW's character.
"Possibly never left the Island"? Assumption on your part.

Attempted Assassination, lost homeland, in war with larger power -- what in any gods name would cause them to waste resources on a gendercide on a nation they entered? That's stupid! They have things other countries want and need allies against that larger power. Why bother with the gendercide when it just makes more enemies for them?

Hell, I'm wondering how Poseidon managed to get around half the fucking Olympian Pantheon's protections to allow his merpeople access to Themyscira in the first place. Especially when Themyscira was set up so the rest of the entire pantheon could still have worshipers for the less 'base' dieties without secondary sources of worship (Athena, Aphrodite and Ares).

This is not like the Doctor Who episode "Inferno", where the Doctor finds himself in a UK with a Totalitarian Regime, altering the histories of everyone he knew. BUT EVEN THEN, several of the characters have the traits core to their original appearances shine through, and the ones that are altered are done so by the totalitarian regime's presence. It alters the way the characters enter the world and thus changed the choices they made in life. The flashpoint alterations add to the initial base, they do not change that base. THAT is the problem.

You assume that DC's Amazons are Marvel's Amazons.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

FaxModem1 wrote:Havok, the reason this Wonder Woman applies, and not the Nu52 version, is that Flashpoint is supposed to be the transformation of the old Wonder Woman into this Warrior Queen Hitler. It seems like it's more based of the popular cultural interpretation than the actual book version. The Nu52 is the pieces shuffled around and set anew. It would be the same as having Flashpoint have Batman come out in his Adam West gear during Flashpoint, laugh wittily, and have him dance in costume. After all, under these circumstances, this would be well within his character.
Thank you!
You have said it far better than I could.

I remember thinking through much of the film that The Flash must have ended up in some sort of entire alternate universe, because I could see NO WAY in which certain people were acting the way they were...
I kept expecting the advisor to Arthur to say something like "You have grown erratic since we have been enhancing your body with dark magic" or something like that... I was also thinking that because evidently they really REALLY Boosted his power for this movie. At one point Cyborg, batman, and the Flash where all wailing on him and evidently no doing anything against him.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, this is Aquaman we're talking about, he is rather powerful. I can believe him taking those 3 in a fight.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I always pegged him as a lower tier guy. Like, sure, he has Super Strength, but he's more like Spider-Man strong than, say, Colossus strong. That's why he gets Whales to do the heavy lifting for him. I've never really seen him pull any feats that put him in higher tiers.

But I'm not a big Aquaman reader, outside the New stuff (which is also rather good).
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Havok wrote:Yes, but as I said, Diana is being reactionary. She didn't start the war, she defended herself against Mira. It was Arthur that attacked first, and at that point it is totally within all of Wonder Woman's versions to fight back.

If it is as Batman hypothesisis, that Themescyra was destroyed and that is why the Amazons took England, then nothing we see WW doing is out of character.
The hell she didn't.

1. She slept with a married man. Not itself a crime but your the head of state of a radical feminist society and his is Lord of the Oceans.

2. She killed someone who attacked her but had pretty much zero chance of actually hurting or even seriously challenging her.

3. She wore the Queen's crown as a fucking trophy and warning for everyone to see as what happens when someone fucks with Wonder Woman.

She bears as much responsibility as Aquaman in this war. Furthermore, her willingness to casually murder Billy Batson when he was zero threat to her at the end of the fight shows that whatever moral compass she had (if there was any) was long since gone.

Wonder Woman in the move was a psychotic homicidal maniac.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

To #2, Mera is actually rather badass. Mostly, I see her controlling oceans and the like in regular and Nu52 Continuity. Basically, a high tier Water Bender/Avatar level Water Bender depending on the overall output. Then there's the whole Atlantean Phsyiology for minor Strength/Durability--which is a non factor against Diana, so it's hardly worth mentioning.

And according to an un-cited point on Wikipedia, she has some form of assassins training.

Overall point stands, but Mera is rather powerful as an opponent. Then again, I bet in Flashpoint, she went after Diana with like a regular knife or something because that universe is run with idiocy and plot convenience.
Browncoat