Beware the Batman Talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

Beware the Batman Talkback

Post by RogueIce »

I enjoyed the first episode, seems like a good start for the series. The voice acting is good and the action very nice. I liked the teaser fight; clearly Batman has plenty of skill, but he also seems just a little raw, a little new.

The characters fit their roles well, and I liked the detective aspects of Bruce figuring out the next target, CSI Super Zoom brain bug aside. I also really enjoyed that this Batman is still clearly a man: when he takes bad hit he's feeling it throughout the episode, not just shrugging it off. Also the part where he dislocates his shoulder and rams it back in was a nice touch. This is a Batman who is clearly not impervious to damage, yet he won't give up, either. Even though that car crash took him out for a little while, he still dragged himself to his feet and kept fighting, especially when Alfred was in danger because of him.

The empty world feeling is a little disheartening, but is apparently a byproduct of the decision to use CGI and I've learned to cope with it in TMNT 2K12, so I can live with it here.

I'll have to wait and see how Katana is going to fit into the show, but overall I have a positive outlook on this series, which is a good thing.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Beware the Batman Talkback

Post by Majin Gojira »

I'm overall rather neutral to it. There are a few things to keep me interested to see what's next, and nothing really bad to complain about, but nothing really stood out to much to me either. I'll give it some time to grow and see what happens with it.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Liked the black on black suit. The yellow utility belt still looks out of place without the yellow oval chest symbol, but you get used to that after a decade or three.
Not sure I like what they did with Alfred but this does look interesting.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So episode two has aired. I liked it. Interesting take on a villain: she was definitely a criminal beforehand, and yet she was given a sympathetic backstory nonetheless. I liked it, because it's enough to make you feel sympathy for her and yet the damage is clearly down for her to be recurring. Although Gordon did take her away, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the inevitable revolving door situation.

I liked the interplay between Batman and Gordon. "Is that justice?" "No but it's the law." It does mean that the odds of Magpie getting the help she clearly needs are pretty slim, which sets up her recurring villainy. Also it's interesting to see the tension between the two. Everyone knows that eventually they'll each earn the respect of the other (unless BtB goes in a totally different direction) but it's not going to happen overnight. Also enjoyed that they showed Gordon's justifiable suspicion that Batman himself was a the one doing the dirty deeds.

And we get more detective work, on the part of Bruce and, which I really liked, Gordon. Often times Gordon seems to be a little too passive, content to let the Bat do the work. I liked how the show took the time to focus on Gordon being a capable cop and even tracking down the villain as well as Batman did, albeit in a different manner than the Dark Knight Detective.

Also yay for Barbara Gordon!

And they continue to build towards Katana. I like this, not giving her a costume straight away, and if the setup at the end of the episode is any indication it's clear that she will have to earn the right to fight alongside the Caped Crusader. It will not be given freely or taken for granted.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Definitely villainous villains with a sympathetic backstory is hardly something new to the Batman myth, Harvey Dent and Victor Fries come to mind.
Picking Magpie (who is pretty much a nonentity as Batman leave alone DC villains go) was...unexpected, but then so was their treatment of Alfred.
While Katana is definitely the massively more well known character, I wish they had used Sasha Bordeaux, given that she was the one who ended up both Bruce Wayne's and Batman's bodyguard and I very much suspect they're basing at least Katana's introduction on her introduction to the batworld.
And since no comment from me on any bat media is complete without me whining about the costume, they either need to change the colour of the utility belt or do something yellow with the chest symbol (either make it yellow like Babs' used to be or bring back the yellow background oval).
And they're bringing Barbara into the narrative surprisingly early.

Also, is it me or do my cheekbones look noticeably broader when I'm in costume?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

RogueIce wrote:And they continue to build towards Katana. I like this, not giving her a costume straight away, and if the setup at the end of the episode is any indication it's clear that she will have to earn the right to fight alongside the Caped Crusader. It will not be given freely or taken for granted.
That ending scene just had one thing cross my mind: "Let the Bat-Dickery Commence."
Batman wrote:Picking Magpie (who is pretty much a nonentity as Batman leave alone DC villains go) was...unexpected, but then so was their treatment of Alfred.
I think one of the series stated goals is to use more obscure bat-villains. Of this, I have only positive thoughts.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Batman wrote:Definitely villainous villains with a sympathetic backstory is hardly something new to the Batman myth, Harvey Dent and Victor Fries come to mind.
Yeah, I explained that one poorly. Dent and Fries had sympathetic backstories in that what drove them to being a villain was tragic. Magpie's was a bit of a variation because she started out a criminal, with no indication there was a reason for it other than "just because" and her sympathetic backstory only occurred after she started on a life of crime and was locked up for it.

I suppose the closest example I can think of to that is BTAS' "Birds of a Feather" which made Penguin a bit more sympathetic in that he was being genuine in his attempts to reform with Veronica Vreeland but the revelation it was a set up pushed him over the edge. Similar with "Harley's Holiday" which, come to think of it, also included Vreeland. Huh.

Not quite the same in that they went back to their previous personas whereas Magpie is apparently someone new created from what happened to her, but close enough.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Yes, let's bring on the Calender Man, Signalman, Firefly, Mothman, Crazy Quilt, Cat Man, KGBeast and more.

Only, please do use the Wrath. I always felt he was a much better evil opposite for Bats than anyone else.

Haven't checked out the series yet, will soon.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Hey Bats, is every villain on this show going to introduce themselves by kicking your ass? Because that's pretty entertaining.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Just a couple thoughts now I've had a bit more time.

I don't mind the black-on-black with a yellow belt so much. It's a new look for you Bats, and it's always good for the new media to show that it's not afraid to be it's own thing.

Alfred with a jutting chin and a brogue, that's a little off-putting.

What really bugs me is Katana's design and oh god, why are her eyes 4 times larger than everyone else's? It's really distracting in all her scenes. And how does she wear a black bodysuit all the time, with no one noticing or commenting?

It's a little nitpick.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Actually the black-on-black isn't new at all, all the live action movies since Burton's original 'Batman' used it, as did the 'Gotham Knight' animated anthology, and that's a good thing given it makes infinitely more sense than the powder blue cape and cowl and light grey body suit predominantly used in the comics.
Which makes the canary yellow utility belt (which once more manages to hold a cubic kilometre worth of gadgets without having any visible pockets big enough to hold anything larger than a box of matches, if that) even more grating.
Team Timm stuck with the black on grey(TNBA)/blue on grey(JL/JLU) and they had the good sense to change the colour of the utility belt to something that wasn't totally incompatible with the 'hide in shadows' gig.

As for Katana wearing a bodysuit all the time, um-so what? So she values utility over fashion and likes, or at least doesn't despise to the point that she'd shell out for something differently coloured, black. We're (so far) not talking kevlar lined tons of gadgets in the belt, rockets in the boots and dart launchers in the forearms battle suit but...black overall.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dude JLU Bats is wearing black for his cowl and cape, it's just blue highlights on the outside. The inside of his cape is blue but that doesn't matter much when he has it wrapped around him.

Which is why I don't think the yellow belt is a big deal. When he wants to blend in he wraps the cape around him. Granted I can't think of a reason offhand why he'd want the belt to be yellow, but whatever. Maybe it's some kind of off the shelf thing.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Batman wrote:Actually the black-on-black isn't new at all, all the live action movies since Burton's original 'Batman' used it, as did the 'Gotham Knight' animated anthology, and that's a good thing given it makes infinitely more sense than the powder blue cape and cowl and light grey body suit predominantly used in the comics.
Which makes the canary yellow utility belt (which once more manages to hold a cubic kilometre worth of gadgets without having any visible pockets big enough to hold anything larger than a box of matches, if that) even more grating.
Team Timm stuck with the black on grey(TNBA)/blue on grey(JL/JLU) and they had the good sense to change the colour of the utility belt to something that wasn't totally incompatible with the 'hide in shadows' gig.

As for Katana wearing a bodysuit all the time, um-so what? So she values utility over fashion and likes, or at least doesn't despise to the point that she'd shell out for something differently coloured, black. We're (so far) not talking kevlar lined tons of gadgets in the belt, rockets in the boots and dart launchers in the forearms battle suit but...black overall.
Black-on-black-yellow belt is, as far as I know, new for you.

I hardly noticed when Katana was on her motorbike, but it seems a bit odd to see her about the house or behind the wheel of a limo in it. But then, she's far from the oddest person sleeping in Wayne Manor. It's a minor nitpick (particularly next to her frightening, inhuman eyes) and if I can only find minor nitpicks you're doing something right.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Black-black-black-canary yellow belt is new, but all three Nolan movies had black-black-black-yellowish belt suits.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Anarky? I mean, really? I know this series is allegedly about bringing out some of the more obscure batvillains, but really, Anarky? The guy wasn't even a proper villain, he was a fringe nuisance.
Also more of them going the Sasha Bordeaux route of my bodyguard finding out I'm the Batman. And if you're that serious about the job, why are you wearing high heels?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It didn't slow down Wonder Woman any, did it? :D

I like Anarky. Fuck the comics and their bullshit, this is its own thing and his depiction there means nothing. And I like him as being a mirror version of Batman. I thought his introduction was pretty good.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Diana is also a Clark-level metahuman. Impractical footwear becomes much less of a problem when you can fly and casually ignore people throwing tank-destroying firepower your way.
You are nevertheless correct to point out that this isn't the comics Anarky, especially as other than the name there doesn't seem to be much they have in common.
And is it me or is the guy wearing my Silver Age utility belt?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Ion Cortex makes no sense even by superhero comics standards. I'm also apparently still anal about the 'no killing' rule.
Introduction of the League of Shadows, and apparently Lady Shiva's involved. I think that's new.
The Soultaker Sword was visually disappointing.
And seriously-I have Wayne Manor reconstructed to the point that there's missile launchers at every corner, a laser detection grid, I gave it an AI that Knows[/i I am Batman running all of those-but I didn't think to give myself Administrator access or, on the off-chance that anybody (i.e. Lex Luthor) manages to hack my security system, a backdoor entrance? I thought I was supposed to be one of the three smartest men on the planet.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Batman wrote:And seriously-I have Wayne Manor reconstructed to the point that there's missile launchers at every corner, a laser detection grid, I gave it an AI that Knows[/i I am Batman running all of those-but I didn't think to give myself Administrator access or, on the off-chance that anybody (i.e. Lex Luthor) manages to hack my security system, a backdoor entrance? I thought I was supposed to be one of the three smartest men on the planet.

Batman may be a computer guy but it's clear he skimped on the IT consulting.
Also... poor Dr what's his name, it's clear he a robot programed with a doofus scientist guy/pervert personality. Or possibly he's massively autistic because he came across as... well... kind of a creeper at times.

OAN:Bats your house is impressive, had to note that. Wayne manor never gets focus
OAAN:Man how many bribes did Bats have to pay to get those rocket launchers installed? Also who do you hired as your rocket launcher installers?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sorry to make another post but seriously I can't get over this... how many people did Wayne have to bribe to hide the whole rocket launcher thing, also if they are ever used how many people is Wayne going to have to bribe? SAM's are not exactly quiet.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well if those missiles didn't cause any property damage or hurt anyone, I would probably get away with claiming 'I felt like having fireworks'?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It's Gotham, they're not going to question Bruce Wayne.

As far as the lack of backdoor...it's a fail safe system and Batman, being as paranoid as he is, probably figures if he has a back door in, somebody else could exploit that and sneak in as well. So that makes sense, and I think is reinforced by his "I need a new security system" comment because fuck it, 28% chance of someone getting through in an impossibly acrobatic stunt is too damn much for the Goddamn Batman.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Except for the chest logo, Anarky sure looked like Marvel's Moon Knight. That said, his VA threw me, he sounded a bit whiny and it was really distracting.

The Ion Cortex is, if I understood correctly, an AI system to monitor some imaginary global power grid, track waste and store surplus power. Hardly the "key to unlimited power" that makes sense for ninja to steal. And debatably a waste of a sentient AI if we could make one.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I use brightly yelllow technobabble batarangs but they can't be arsed to give me the yellow chest symbol background.
Given that I'm still a wanted criminal the people of Gotham (including one Barbara Gordon) seem oddly unperturbed by me showing up.
Alfred nabbed the Soultaker Sword, it is apparently aptly named, Katana still loves her black bodysuit, another mention of the League of Shadows, and first (I think) mention of Star City so possible Oliver cameo down the line.
I also seem to have seriously worked on my HTH skills.
And I thought Jim was still in his 'arrest this nutjob on sight' phase. His treatment of me when I showed up in his office was essentially Batsignal era.
And they're definitely making good on the 'lesser known villains' thing because I have no clue who that Humpty Dumpty dude is.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Batman wrote: I also seem to have seriously worked on my HTH skills.
Looks like you've been training with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Seriously that little fight routine felt like someone 3d animated those moves even had the five hits until breaking the arm. The only thing that did not happen was one of the dozen counter moves or cape twirls or special move sets or...

Damn I need to go play me some Arkham City again.
Batman wrote: And I thought Jim was still in his 'arrest this nutjob on sight' phase. His treatment of me when I showed up in his office was essentially Batsignal era.
And they're definitely making good on the 'lesser known villains' thing because I have no clue who that Humpty Dumpty dude is.
I think Jim gave up the second time. He's still hostile but he knows your giving him good advice and it's late at night so why bother getting worked up.