Recommend an Iain Banks book

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Recommend an Iain Banks book

Post by Mr. Tickle »

Hey

Thought this was the best section for this but mods feel free to move if I'm wrong.

Right, simple enough question.

I'm a member of a book club, the next meet is in a couple weeks time. It tends to do more "recent" stuff, reading group friendly sort of things, so pretty normal fare. For the next book I want to recommend one of Iain Bank's books, obviously in his honour since he passed away recently etc

I've read all of his "M" stuff and a couple of his "normal" books (Wasp Factory and The Bridge). Just wanted to canvas any opinions on which one of his books might be best to put forward. I want to stick to one of his normal books, I love the sci-fi stuff and while some of it is stand alone, it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I was thinking of the Quarry as his last one but I think it's only out on hard-back which can be pretty pricey, esp just for a reading group. I was also thinking of The Bridge as it's pretty cool book which lots of imagery and crazy stuff going on, not too long either I think (only going by memory here which might be hazy, it was awhile since I read it).

So that's the preamble, any recommendations?

edit - repeated myself at the end
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Recommend an Iain Banks book

Post by Ahriman238 »

Look to Windward, if you want a CUlture book that spends a lot of time thinking aobut life and death.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

Appreciate the input but I did want to avoid the Culture stuff, like I said, I've read them all myself and enjoy them but I was looking for recommendations on Bank's other fiction (not Iain M basically)

Cheers
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Crow Road and Complicity are probably the next two you should look at.