What did you think of Man of Steel?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Re: What did you think of Man of Steel?

Post by NeoGoomba »

Superman was simply incapable of "quickly" stopping Zod in a fight. Superman had ZERO training at combat, whereas Zod, as he said, was bred to fight. Hence Zod pummeling Superman most of the time, and being able to learn his powers ON THE FLY (zing!). Only after wearing Zod down to the point of exhaustion was he able to even apply the Super Cobra Clutch and finish it. What I was waiting for was some explanation as to how Superman could endure against a superior opponent, and all I could think of (other than RIGHTEOUSNESS) was him soaking in Sol's radiation for 33 years as opposed to a few days for Zod, making him much faster, stronger, and durable.

Now, would I have preferred some attempt to show Superman trying to lure Zod away from Metropolis? Undoubtedly. But in-universe I can chalk it up to Superman being a rookie and not comprehending just how much damage they can and will cause. Out of universe, however, it does seem the lazy path (as Landis was alluding to) to just have them smash the shit out of each other in a catastrophic environment for audience thrills.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Main problem with Supes breaking his 'no killing' rule is that whilst comic fans know it'sa big deal the movie didn't even mention it. They showed him being effected by killing Zod but that was the first time that showed the he might have a thing against lethal force.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

NeoGoomba wrote:Superman was simply incapable of "quickly" stopping Zod in a fight. Superman had ZERO training at combat, whereas Zod, as he said, was bred to fight. Hence Zod pummeling Superman most of the time, and being able to learn his powers ON THE FLY (zing!). Only after wearing Zod down to the point of exhaustion was he able to even apply the Super Cobra Clutch and finish it. What I was waiting for was some explanation as to how Superman could endure against a superior opponent, and all I could think of (other than RIGHTEOUSNESS) was him soaking in Sol's radiation for 33 years as opposed to a few days for Zod, making him much faster, stronger, and durable.

Now, would I have preferred some attempt to show Superman trying to lure Zod away from Metropolis? Undoubtedly. But in-universe I can chalk it up to Superman being a rookie and not comprehending just how much damage they can and will cause. Out of universe, however, it does seem the lazy path (as Landis was alluding to) to just have them smash the shit out of each other in a catastrophic environment for audience thrills.
The most important rule of thumb is to show things to the audience rather than ask the audience to figure things out for themselves. There is a reason why exposition are generally considered to be a bad thing when it comes down to movies.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Er, I think I'm missing the point of what you're trying to say to me, exactly.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

NeoGoomba wrote:Er, I think I'm missing the point of what you're trying to say to me, exactly.
I'm saying rather than implying to the audience that Superman is new to all the Superhero stuff, they should outright show it to the audience.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

NeoGoomba wrote:Superman was simply incapable of "quickly" stopping Zod in a fight. Superman had ZERO training at combat, whereas Zod, as he said, was bred to fight. Hence Zod pummeling Superman most of the time, and being able to learn his powers ON THE FLY (zing!). Only after wearing Zod down to the point of exhaustion was he able to even apply the Super Cobra Clutch and finish it. What I was waiting for was some explanation as to how Superman could endure against a superior opponent, and all I could think of (other than RIGHTEOUSNESS) was him soaking in Sol's radiation for 33 years as opposed to a few days for Zod, making him much faster, stronger, and durable.
I know right? Maybe it's because I read Kingdom Come not long before but the way they were talking about him soaking up radiation I assumed that this was going to be their explanation for him triumphing over better trained and more numerous opponents. Nope.
I am talking about the later. The point I am trying to make is people are finding the death of Zod scene as a very obvious and deliberate attempt to inject some sort of drama. As such, the artificiality of that particular scenes makes people reject it more than they should. I think just showing a few scenes of a desperate superman trying to end the fight quickly can drastically alter how people view the killing of Zod.

Adding a few such scenes can reinforce the idea that Superman in MoS is still a newcomer at fighting super-powered villains and his frustration with himself due to his failure to contain collateral damage. By not giving a care about the collateral damage, this movie gives the audience the impression that Superman isn't really that heroic to them, and isn't someone they can trust to save their lives.
As for the direction: fair enough, Snyder could have spent a few minutes trying to show this. I still think it was implicit but given how this is the overwhelming complaint and even I winced when I realized that they just weren't going to stop he should have made sure.

At the very least the ending should have been darker if they were going that way. While I had no problem with the joke made by the poor man's Maria Hill (although one could argue that Meloni's character fit better) the optimistic tone did get to people.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Scrib wrote: At the very least the ending should have been darker if they were going that way. While I had no problem with the joke made by the poor man's Maria Hill (although one could argue that Meloni's character fit better) the optimistic tone did get to people.
I find Synder really did a pretty bad job at capturing the right mood at the right moment in MOS. The intimate and emotional moments are badly captured throughout the movie.

I really hope WBs can get another director to direct the sequel if they are going to make it. A director that have shown-case an ability to direct intimate, emotional and character driven scenes would be ideal.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I feel like Lois came off as an uber bitch when Kal El told her about the S
"It's my family crest, it stands for hope."
"Yeah well here it means S."
"Oh SORRY Lois, Mi no habla ingles, tell me more about how your tongue noise is more important than my 20,000 year old heritage!"

The commentary on whether Earth was ready for Superman was, well, kind of hammered to death, but I appreciated the effort. The United States probably isn't, as was unintentionally presented above more or less, and it's an interesting dynamic that Superman's presence would probably make people seriously question religion in general, he can clearly accomplish miracles not understood by science, but is from a culture that predates our religions, so if fundamentalists tried to disprove his powers as miraculous... well they'd have to use science, if they embrace him as a messiah...well the old one definitely wasn't as sturdy. Does this mean scientologists win?

The military's efforts to locate Superman at the end seemed a little half hearted... did they not notice when a ship crashed into his barn and half of Smallville got burned to a crisp? Clark did a horrible job hiding his secret identity, which was known since he was in grade school apparently.

Superman did a REALLY terrible job of protecting Metropolis and limiting casualties in general. When they did the closing scene at the planet it should have read "4 years of painful rebuilding later..."

I definitely loved Zod, "Where did you train... a farm?" I always imagined Superman would have an advantage over his enemies because of his familiarity with his powers and longer exposure to sunlight, but, Zod's ability to adapt faster than Clark's does make sense from that perspective.

If everybody is bred for their role in society on Krypton, I can see a strong degree of cultural stagnation, but... 20,000 years? the tech on the scout ship was on par with the ship Zod brought for example, it must have been some kind of colonizer since it had that birthing chamber, so wtf Krypton, how many of THOSE did you send out, and the worldburner?? How did you go from a culture that was so expansionist that your tiny scout ship had the ability to populate a planet, to "Well we know we're doomed but it is what it is." maybe they missed their quota of leadership caste. Zod was able to turn his prison ship into an interstellar craft, so the knowledge was there, the technology still in use, people just were indifferent? I was really hoping a reference to a genetic lock of some kind was in place by the council, that was removed when Zod et all were exiled.

Does anyone know if this rendition of superman is supposed to be in the Justice Leage movie? I do NOT see how Christopher Nolan could use this guy.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Themightytom wrote:I feel like Lois came off as an uber bitch when Kal El told her about the S
"It's my family crest, it stands for hope."
"Yeah well here it means S."
"Oh SORRY Lois, Mi no habla ingles, tell me more about how your tongue noise is more important than my 20,000 year old heritage!"
I know right? It's like every bad joke about Americans ever.
The commentary on whether Earth was ready for Superman was, well, kind of hammered to death, but I appreciated the effort. The United States probably isn't, as was unintentionally presented above more or less,
Why?
and it's an interesting dynamic that Superman's presence would probably make people seriously question religion in general, he can clearly accomplish miracles not understood by science, but is from a culture that predates our religions, so if fundamentalists tried to disprove his powers as miraculous... well they'd have to use science, if they embrace him as a messiah...well the old one definitely wasn't as sturdy. Does this mean scientologists win?
Hm? I'm confused. I would think that his predating of human religion would hint towards some sort of first religion, like in AvP. But I doubt that the fundies would like that if only because they can't control it/it's reasoning is mundane.
If everybody is bred for their role in society on Krypton, I can see a strong degree of cultural stagnation, but... 20,000 years? the tech on the scout ship was on par with the ship Zod brought for example, it must have been some kind of colonizer since it had that birthing chamber, so wtf Krypton, how many of THOSE did you send out, and the worldburner?? How did you go from a culture that was so expansionist that your tiny scout ship had the ability to populate a planet, to "Well we know we're doomed but it is what it is." maybe they missed their quota of leadership caste. Zod was able to turn his prison ship into an interstellar craft, so the knowledge was there, the technology still in use, people just were indifferent? I was really hoping a reference to a genetic lock of some kind was in place by the council, that was removed when Zod et all were exiled.
Honestly, most of the decisions of Kryptonians make...no sense. Jor El I can put down as some insane rebel but the rest? Just fatalism for no reason. We're told their energy stores are depleted but not enough that they can't send Zod to the Phantom Zone (why on earth would you do this, you really want this guy to be the last Kryptonian? Have mercy on everyone involved and kill him) or have him build a ship with that machine (they could have saved a few people at least). Hell, we don't even know if the Phantom drives require the same energy that they were drilling for!

I suppose that it's part of their decadence or limited nature? But again, show us that
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The story of the Kryptonians has never made any sense in any context what-so-ever. It is utterly bizarre that a society that advanced can be wiped out by one world dying in any incarnation of the Superman mythos. Just accept it as a given and move on.

Having said that; the traction that Republicans have gained in the US by being anti-science does make you wonder ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Crown wrote:The story of the Kryptonians has never made any sense in any context what-so-ever. It is utterly bizarre that a society that advanced can be wiped out by one world dying in any incarnation of the Superman mythos. Just accept it as a given and move on.

Having said that; the traction that Republicans have gained in the US by being anti-science does make you wonder ...
That suddenly gave me the image of a Kryptonian Sarah Palin saying "drill, baby, drill".
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

ray245 wrote:That suddenly gave me the image of a Kryptonian Sarah Palin saying "drill, baby, drill".
:lol:
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

My wife and I saw it this morning. We loved it. She actually turned to me and said, "I don't know what all the bitching is about, that was great!"

Sure, there were some things that could have been done better, but there's always something that can be done better. Given the challenge inherent in doing this movie when you've got (as has been apparent from so many critics) the Reeve/Donner juggernaut looming over you, I have to say that I was pretty happy with the result. I had no problems with the pacing or the flashbacks. To me, they showed the experiences that made the man and informed his decisions. This is not the Superman some people are used to, but is as valid an interpretation as any and better than many. (Side note: When The Dark Knight came out, I remember a woman I know saying to me, "That wasn't Batman.")

At one time I might have nerd-raged about some of the changes, but I appreciated what I felt was actually a thoughtful approach to what it really means to be what Kal/Clark is, and what it would be like growing up with that enormous burden. The powers themselves are almost a curse - he knows he wants to help, knows that he can, but knows that they set him apart to such an extent that he can never really be himself around anyone. It seemed almost a relief to him when Lois tracked him down. Maybe he wanted to be found? He takes no joy in his powers until he learns to fly. The mistakes he made with Zod were rookiee mistakes, not because he was stupid, but because he really didn't know what he was getting into. He knew not to trust Zod, but had no comprehension of the level of destructiveness his fellow Kryptonians were physically and mentally capable of until it happened. I agree that he did seem physically superior - in fact, at one point during his final fight with Zod, it almost semed like he was getting stronger and more confident with his powers as the fight went on.

Small observations: Chris Meloni was the only human any of Zod's Kryptonians seemed to respect - he did pull a knife on Faora, after all 8) "A glorious death is its own reward."
The general who oversees things for the US military was played by the same guy who played the commander of Zion's forces in The Matrix trilogy. At least this time the messiah he had to deal with was a bit more tangible to him and made it out alive.
There were two neoBSG actors in there too - the head of the air freight company Clark worked for in Canada (Helo) and the US soldier operating the surveillance gear (Gaeta).

One thing about Krypton and its society and seemingly reversed development: Did anyone else notice that when young Clark was dragged out of the truck by the older kids bullying him, he was reading Plato? Did anyone else make the obvious connection between Plato's Republic and the portrayal of Kryptonian society? While I usually hesitate before reading things into movies (because I'm not at all sure that is sometimes the writer's intent), it was only slightly short of blindingly obvious to anyone who has ever read Plato that Kal's story is a complete rejection of the ideal of the Republic. Jor-El says that Kryptonian culture was 100,000 years old. At least as late as 200,000 years ago they were still exploring and colonising the stars. Then they got into the idea of "optimising" their society along the very lines Plato described and seemingly imploded, though we don't have a time frame for how that occurred. It could've taken millennia. Their drive to explore and expand was apparently extinguished by smothering order and stagnation. As someone else already mentioned, technologically, even their ships didn't seem that different. We can only speculate what happened to the colonies. Only Jor-El and Lara seemed capable of effectively challenging Krypton's stagnation, and only at the cost of realising that they couldn't survive it.

I could go on about this theme but it's late and I'm tired. Plus I haven't touched Plato in years :wink:
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Saw it and found it mostly ok.

The ending pissed me off to no end because of how it breaks in the face of common sense.

Superman: "Here is your 12 million drone back and stop trying to figure out who and where I live"
General: "How do we know you wont be a threat..."
Superman: "I was born in Kansas..."

:banghead:

Even without that little bit of stupidity on Superman's part the fact Lois was more than capable of tracking him down with a little bit of a lead. Your telling me that after all the shit that happened in this movie, NOONE knows what Superman looks like and you wont have the world looking for him ?
Hell, if they are really intent on finding out who Superman is, they know that Lois Lane has that information so why waste a drone when you can use some 'enhanced interrogation techniques' or keep Lois Lane under 24/7 surveillance.

Personally, I thought the film was going to do something special by having Superman's identity known from the get go and how interesting that might actually be but not only did they screw that possibility, they decide to try and setup a stupid premise that no one knows who Superman is because he wears glasses. This would have been an ideal situation to recognise the new dynamic that information technology introduces to hide your identity / information for someone like Superman.
Now that everyone has a mobile phone and camera, Superman has no chance of being able to keep his identity secret for longer than a month, especially after the events of this film.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I agree with Shannon here. What is all the bitching about.

Saw it, loved it, the best movie I have seen so far this year (but then I don't see many).

Lets start with the good things, then the defense of the bad things. In no particular order

1. Superman breaks the "no killing rule". Ha ha ha. I know some hardcore Supes fans will whine, but that was awesome. Zod needed to be stopped and Supes didn't let some bullshit morality crap stop him. This might be a let down for some of his fans, but for me this was a plus.

2. The Krypton story

Lets divide my criticism into two parts. The first part will be talking about the segment in general. The second part is to address some of the plot holes in it.

I actually found the opening segment entertaining. Unlike some movies which just had narration to explain the set up - think the Mummy trilogy, they actually told a gripping story with Jor El going all action man on Zod. It was certainly more engrossing than the old Christopher Reeve movie. What surprise me was the opening scenes were in and of themselves entertaining, rather than just a way for the tell the viewer what was happening. A fine example of the adage - "show, don't tell."

Now there were a few plot holes, but most probably not as many as people say.

a) Krypton is no longer advanced. Boo hoo. Historically Ming China became stagnant and started regressing technologically without having to collapse. So to me, Krypton was just like that, with the same BS feeling of contentment, feelings that we want for nothing. Since I hated what these philosophies did to regress Chinese development, I actually felt sympathetic with how Krypton society was portrayed. It failed because it refused to progress. Period.

b) How the hell did Zod and co manage to adapt the ship if they lost the technology? That was a bit of a plot hole. It would have made more sense if Zod sent out a distress signal and the stole the technology from the first ship which came to the rescue.

c) Why the hell did they exile Zod instead of killing him? Why is this even a plot hole? Not all societies have the death penalty, so why is this even a problem? As to whether they wanted Zod to be the last survivor, its clear that some Kryptonians were climate change deniers Planetary core change deniers. :D So they might not believe Zod and co would be the last Kryptonians.

3. Flashbacks well handled / pacing of the film

I loved the pacing. We are treated to Supes as an adult first with occasional flashbacks to his childhood at relevant events. This was better than the alternative to show Supes growing up as a kid (like Superman I) and then going to Metropolis. I am not that interested in Supes as a boy, so I loved how they forego most of it.

4. Unintentional political / cultural references

These are most likely unintentional on the part of the movie's creators, but still....

a) Lois is wanted for possibly treason because she is suspected of knowing who Supes is...
I cracked up. It just reminds me of the crackdown against journalists in regards to whistle blowing and all the shit about "protecting journalist's sources."

b) Lets extradite Kal-el to Zod for bullshit offenses. Especially since they did plan to torture and kill him. Sounds like the shit going on with Manning and Snowden. I doubt it was intentional, but I couldn't help noticing the similarity between turning Kal-el over to Zod and America's treatment of whistle blowers.

c) I grew up in Kansas, can't get more American than that.
When Supes said that, for some reason, I just thought of racists, and him effectively saying "I grew up in a racist environment, can't get more American than that. Yes I know, its only some states that are like that. Apparently Kansas has a reputation.

I must admit I was influenced by the HISHE youtube video where Supes refused to save President Obama and tried to explain away his racism by saying he grew up in a small rural town. :D In other words, I didn't see Supes statement as "serious explanation" for why he should be trusted, but rather as a joke which I found funny for different reasons than what the writer most likely intended.

d) Lois - well over here its an S.

Ha ha ha. The ethnocentric American. Yeah ok, I guess some Americans who aren't conceited and don't jerk off to American exceptionalism might roll their eyes, but for us foreigners who see this type of behaviour and can't believe how Americans cannot, it just seems like an accurate portrayal. Yes I know, in universe Lois was most likely making an attempt to flirt with Superman rather than being a boor.

5. Fight scenes

My god. Supes beats up Zod for threatening his mother. Supes fights Faora and that tall Kryptonian while the humans are shooting them. Supes takes out the terraformer. Supes then fights Zod again. Fight scenes galore and well done.

6. Kevin Costner's, er I mean Jonathan Kent's death

Rather than from a mundane heart attack, he died trying to save others AND because he didn't want Clark to save him because he was so afraid the world would not accept him. He died for his believe. I think this set the scene for why Supes was worried about revealing himself. It struck me as very powerful.

7. Unintentional misuse of science from Faora.

Yes some youtubers got incensed with Faora referal to evolution always wins and says its an evolutionary advantage to have no morality. Yes, I know morality evolved to allow cooperative behaviour. Thus its actually a survival advantage for humans anyway.

Going on, Faora clearly didn't understand science (she is a soldier rather than a scientist per se). Now who won in the end? That's right Supes. So even in universe, Faora is wrong. The guy with superior morality won.

8. What could have made it better?
Quadritch Zod calling Jake Sully Kal-el a traitor to the human Kryptonian race for siding against his own people and not letting them desecrate Pandora Earth in a bid to get unobtanium a new world to live on because the Earth in Avatar was apparently dying even though it was never shown on screen Krypton actually did die, and was shown to have died in spectacular 3D Imax effects. :D

My rating - 4.5 stars and I am getting the blu ray disc when it comes out.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Hell, if they are really intent on finding out who Superman is, they know that Lois Lane has that information so why waste a drone when you can use some 'enhanced interrogation techniques' or keep Lois Lane under 24/7 surveillance.
Gee, maybe because the fact Superman's such a nice guy is the only reason he won't pull your arms out of your sockets when he finds you torturing an innocent woman to try to get to him?
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Grumman wrote:
PREDATOR490 wrote:Hell, if they are really intent on finding out who Superman is, they know that Lois Lane has that information so why waste a drone when you can use some 'enhanced interrogation techniques' or keep Lois Lane under 24/7 surveillance.
Gee, maybe because the fact Superman's such a nice guy is the only reason he won't pull your arms out of your sockets when he finds you torturing an innocent woman to try to get to him?
You don't have to torture her. Just follow her...forever. Or just throw the entire state machinery into retracing her footsteps. Superman already told you where he grew up, that narrows it down right there. And since you don't know that he has some ridiculous sensory thing going where he can hear you across the planet (does he here?) you can/will go to town. It shouldn't take the US government too long tbh. But it will, because this is a comic book movie.
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

Not necessarily. The drones could just be the government's (expensive) way of keeping him looking the other way while they do the footwork. Even if they do manage to trace him (not a given), they already know that he keeps a fairly close eye on Lois. Any government agency that does manage to track him back to Ma Kent's would have to know that they'd be inviting a dozen different kinds of hell if they messed with her. As Grumman said, the government knows that it's only Clark's goodwill that keeps him in check.

And really, would it hurt that much if they did find out who he is/was, so long as he's allowed some modicum of privacy? This reminds me of the one of the best Superman stories I've ever read, Secret Identity. It's Elseworlds, but in it, Spoiler
the government is trying desperately to track and control Clark. He convinces them its far better to have him free and cooperative, but takes fairly extensive steps to try and prevent them from finding him and his family. In the end, it turns out his government handler, being competent, did find out who he was, but kept the information to himself. By the time that happened, the government's attitude had changed from "we must control" to "we can negotiate".
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I sawthis yesterday with some friends. Having very little knowledge of the comics I found it enjoyable enough, some good action scenes and character pieces. I particularly enjoyed the Krypton scenes which surprised me since I don't often like Russel Crowe but I think he worked quite well in this.

In simple terms, I expected it to be a relatively fun and enjoyable superhero film, and that's precisely what I got.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Grumman wrote:
The audience knows Superman is a good guy, the world does not and after the events of the movie they have every reason to be terrified of him running around unchecked. Lois Lane knows the identity of Superman and it is beyond stupid to expect the world to forget that. The logical conclusion of what that will result in is obvious.

Lois Lane is innocent ? - Since when has that stopped interrogation or spying ?

The folks in power don't trust Superman and they see him as a threat so the implied threat of him 'pulling their arms out of their sockets' is exactly why they would lock her up or have every single moment of her life on camera between random people following her like a superstar and the world spying on her.
For all intents and purposes, Lois Lane life would be ruined and everyone around her would be taking the flak... oh look Clark Kent is going to working right beside her... with only a pair of glasses to defend against the entire world recognising his face after it gets plastered across the internet.

Since this film is trying to be culturally / political relevant, it is hilariously fucking stupid to miss out a major cultural and political fallout to the situation the events of this film would create.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

mr friendly guy wrote:d) Lois - well over here its an S.

Ha ha ha. The ethnocentric American. Yeah ok, I guess some Americans who aren't conceited and don't jerk off to American exceptionalism might roll their eyes, but for us foreigners who see this type of behaviour and can't believe how Americans cannot, it just seems like an accurate portrayal. Yes I know, in universe Lois was most likely making an attempt to flirt with Superman rather than being a boor.
When I quoted to reply I properly read your last sentence so, I'm gonna make a bit of a fool of myself; but why is this even an issue in this thread (now twice)? She was clearly flirting with him, I can't comprehend how it's even a 'thing' to discuss her 'well over here it's an S' speaking as a 'foreigner' (read non-American) who grew up as an immigrant in Australia I have no idea why this is being mentioned.

Like, srsly 4real yo!

:P
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Grumman wrote:
The audience knows Superman is a good guy, the world does not and after the events of the movie they have every reason to be terrified of him running around unchecked. Lois Lane knows the identity of Superman and it is beyond stupid to expect the world to forget that. The logical conclusion of what that will result in is obvious.

The folks in power don't trust Superman and they see him as a threat so the implied threat of him 'pulling their arms out of their sockets' is exactly why they would lock her up or have every single moment of her life on camera between random people following her like a superstar and the world spying on her.
For all intents and purposes, Lois Lane life would be ruined and everyone around her would be taking the flak... oh look Clark Kent is going to working right beside her... with only a pair of glasses to defend against the entire world recognising his face after it gets plastered across the internet.

Since this film is trying to be culturally / political relevant, it is hilariously fucking stupid to miss out a major cultural and political fallout to the situation the events of this film would create.
Look, first of all accepting that a pair of glasses shield's Kal-El's identity is as much as a requirement in any Superman story as is accepting that Krypton society can be that advanced and die off with one world. Accept it and move on.

Second, in-universe; they can tail Lois, they can spy on Lois, they can bug her phone and email (oh hai PRISM, I'm expecting some good news soon so if an email arrives of that nature can you let me know? ta). But they can't disappear her. She is a reporter who broke the alien story. Her disappearing isn't going to go unnoticed, and they already know that if they do try and detain her Superman will find her;

"Only if you let Lois Lane go."
"How do you know we have her?"
"Bitch please Don't play games with me General"

And since they demonstrably can't control him at this point, why would they do that?
Justice
Youngling

Post by Justice »

PREDATOR490 wrote:The audience knows Superman is a good guy, the world does not and after the events of the movie they have every reason to be terrified of him running around unchecked. Lois Lane knows the identity of Superman and it is beyond stupid to expect the world to forget that. The logical conclusion of what that will result in is obvious.
The logical conclusion would be to bide your time, don't unduly antagonize him (Especially by taking the girl he made out with and fell back on after killing Zod into custody), and wait until you have something that can actually work on him. Learning who he is can be a priority, but it's useless without something that could actually do something to him.
Lois is kind of in the public eye, though. She's a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist (She told us herself! :lol:) working for a huge metropolitan newspaper... and she's also now someone who has the biggest inside scoop on the world's newest celebrity. Taking her in and interrogating her would be difficult to hide from the public, let alone Big Blue. There's no reason to stoop to that level considering what the result could be.
No, they wouldn't, probably for the exact reasons they have to fear him. Locking her up and ruining her life is exactly the sort of thing that could seriously antagonize him. Again, if we are working off the assumption that they don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy, why would try so hard to immediately sour the relationship? Hell, I wonder if he indicated as such that Lois Lane shouldn't be bothered again or that there would be hell to pay, which would make a lot of sense considering we see them using Predator drones to try and track him (Though I have no clue where he actually picked that drone out of the sky, though).
Again, why are you bothering the main squeeze of the god-like figure you can do nothing to for the purpose of finding out piece of information that, at the moment, is completely useless to you?
No, you're just making the odd assumption that the US government is going to start pissing off a city-destroying entity for no other reason than to find out where he lives when they can't do anything with that information.
Shannon
Padawan Learner

Post by Shannon »

Do you realise what you just wrote?
1. Lois Lane broke the story on Superman. Lois Lane = $$Sales$$ This is the United States we're talking about, right?
2. We need to bring in the Lane woman for questioning. Who's that guy in the glasses next to her . . . OH SHIT!!!!!
How about 'the almost-100% guaranteed sequel'? It's not just the worldwide political, social and economic fallout - see this link for the estimated economic and social impact: http://comicsalliance.com/man-of-steel- ... ars-humor/

Going by the last few scenes, Kal is in a personal honeymoon period right now. At some point he's going to have to deal with everything that happened, just like everyone else. Given that Waynetech and Lexcorp both featured in logos in the movie, there are quite likely going to be other people floating ideas about what happens next.

Plus, what happened to Zod's body and all those items of Kryptonian tech floating around?
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Crown wrote: When I quoted to reply I properly read your last sentence so, I'm gonna make a bit of a fool of myself; but why is this even an issue in this thread (now twice)? She was clearly flirting with him, I can't comprehend how it's even a 'thing' to discuss her 'well over here it's an S' speaking as a 'foreigner' (read non-American) who grew up as an immigrant in Australia I have no idea why this is being mentioned.

Like, srsly 4real yo!

:P
Its not an issue in the sense that it doesn't bother me that Lois might inadvertently be potrayed as an insular American in the face of an alien culture whose history dwarf's her nations (not to mention human history in general). Do note however a) I feel this is likely unintentional on the writer's part, and it was just Lois flirting and b) it amuses me (irregardless of whether it was unintentional or not), which is why I included it in parts I like.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.