Game of Thrones Question (Books, Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Game of Thrones Question (Books, Spoilers)

Post by Flagg »

So my mom has read the books and I've just read the synopsis on wiki. Anyway, my mom is under the impression that Spoiler
Sansa is the daughter of Catelyn and Baelish.
I haven't found any indication that this is the case from Wikipedia and was wondering if anyone who read the books can clue me in on this.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Game of Thrones Question (Books, Spoilers)

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote:So my mom has read the books and I've just read the synopsis on wiki. Anyway, my mom is under the impression that Spoiler
Sansa is the daughter of Catelyn and Baelish.
I haven't found any indication that this is the case from Wikipedia and was wondering if anyone who read the books can clue me in on this.

Okay two options
Spoiler A:Which is a simple answer and not spoilery much at all Spoiler
Sansa is Catelyn and Ned's second child. Catelyn moved north to Winterfell when she was already pregnant with Robb, Littlefinger never went to Winterfell so it's kind of hard for the 2nd child to be his.
Or
Spoiler B:Which is a slightly longer answer and spoiler for next Season Spoiler
Sansa is Ned's daughter but Littlefinger did have a child by another tullly namely Catelyn sister Lysa which was aborted by Lysa's father when he found out.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Ok, this must have confused my mom, which isn't surprising since she read all five books in the span of 2 weeks.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote:Ok, this must have confused my mom, which isn't surprising since she read all five books in the span of 2 weeks.

Just give her the chronology Spoiler
Cat, Lysa and Littlefinger grow up at Riverun together. Cat marries Ned and moves to Winterfell . Littlefinger moves to the Vale and the two don't see each other for close to twenty years.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

That, and Littlefinger spent a lot of time in the intervening years bragging to everyone in earshot that he had banged Catelyn.
Spoiler
It's possible that Littlefinger believes this himself. He was wounded, drugged and out of it when Lysa came to him
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

She's not referring to the fact that;
Spoiler
Sansa starts possing as, being mentally warped to be Bealish's bastard daughter (who he still wants to bang cos he' really creepy
is she?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Crazedwraith wrote:She's not referring to the fact that;
Spoiler
Sansa starts possing as, being mentally warped to be Bealish's bastard daughter (who he still wants to bang cos he' really creepy
is she?
I think that's part of it, yeah. I mean I can follow the convoluted plotting on the TV show just fine, but I guess it gets even more complicated as the books go on.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I can't tell if Littlefinger wants Sansa to be his daughter, or if he wants to bang her. Either is twisted.

Or both. Even more twisted.

Spoiler
I mean, I figure if he wanted to bang her, I figure he would've done so sometime before, during or after their time in the Eyrie.. especially after Lysa went out the Moon Door.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

There is speculation that Robert Arryn (Robin on the TV Series) is Petyr's kid. He did mantain a relationship with Lisa Arryn (neé Tully) after she married.
Cykeisme wrote:I can't tell if Littlefinger wants Sansa to be his daughter, or if he wants to bang her. Either is twisted.

Or both. Even more twisted.

Spoiler
I mean, I figure if he wanted to bang her, I figure he would've done so sometime before, during or after their time in the Eyrie.. especially after Lysa went out the Moon Door.

It is both. Sansa resembles Cat, whom he loves, and also represent's the youthfull romantic Petyr's desire of having a family with Cat. Remeber that he became the ruthless Littlefinger we know after the Duel with Brandon Stark.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Figures.
Spoiler
Any theories about what the possible developments will be for Jon Snow, if any?

Entirely possible he's just outright dead, in which case, I believe what he's accomplished is already pretty important.. namely bringing the wildlings over. I mean, Bowen Marsh can't be stupid enough to start a fight with the wildlings with the Others looming (not to mention on the same side of the Wall, and massive wildling numerical superiority).
This vastly improves the odds of men holding the Others back, given that we have no idea what the enchantments of the Wall can do, and what its limitations are.

Alternatively, Melissandre could revive him, much as Thoros of Myr was able to do (repeatedly )with Beric Dondarrion and later, Catelyn. This is the possibility I'm most comfortable with because I like Jon Snow's character, but probably the most boring.

Lastly, he could end up in a "Second Life" as Ghost.. but from what we know, the human identity and consciousness fades away fairly quickly, and I don't see what he can accomplish as a direwolf.

Also, not that it's a problem, but do we need to use spoiler tags in a thread with "spoilers" in the title? The stickies in Fantasy don't mention things either way (I admit I haven't checked out the other stickies yet). I'm erring on the side of caution, though.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Erring on the side of caution is wise, generally including spoilers in the title and first post is considered sufficient.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Almightyboredone
Youngling

Post by Almightyboredone »

On Lord Snow
Spoiler
My, and a few others, theory is that he'll end up going Black Hands (who we're guessing is Benjen) on us.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Almightyboredone wrote:On Lord Snow
Spoiler
My, and a few others, theory is that he'll end up going Black Hands (who we're guessing is Benjen) on us.
Can you elaborate on who that is?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Spoiler
I think he means Coldhands, the undead Night Watch ranger who guided Bran and Jojen through the wall. Fan consensus seems to indicate that the belief is that Coldhands is Benjen Stark, the Ranger whose disappearance in A Game of Thrones was a major reason for Mormont's leading the ranging beyond the wall.
Almightyboredone
Youngling

Post by Almightyboredone »

What Terralthra said; though I didn't know it was a theory that was widely spread. I have two friends and one coworker who've read the books, but otherwise I'm not involved in any fangroups.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I for one am not going to bother putting spoiler tags around things in a thread marked spoilers. Seems redundant. :)

Anyway, Jon clearly either isn't dead, or if he does die, wargs into Ghost and then comes back into his body, which will probably be preserved in the Wall until it can be somehow resurrected, almost certainly by Melisandre. Jon's pretty obviously Azor Ahai / the chosen of the Lord of Light, given Melisandre's visions of him (which she doesn't understand - she still thinks its Stannis) and the hints dropped about the Corn King. Further, it'd be pretty damn pointless for Jon to be dead, since the entire question of who his mother is (Lyanna Stark, equally obvious at this stage IMO, but yet to be confirmed) would be rendered moot.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Errr ... Isn't Danny Azor Ahai?

And the reason Melisandre is having visions of Jon is because he's Danny's half brother (or is it nephew) and he'll need to ride a dragon or something.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

There's a lot of good evidence for Danny being Azor Azhai. Especially the legends about creating Dragons out of rock. Melisandre thinks this applies to dragonstone but instead probably applies to Danny hatching her stone dragon eggs.

Crown, if certain theories about jon's parentage are true it would make him Dany's nephew. Since she's the youngest child of Aerys II.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Well we have several possible candidates for AA; Jon and Dany, for sure, but Victarion Greyjoy also meets several of the required criteria of the prophecy. Rhaegar Targaryan thought that first he, then his son Aegon was AA. I think it's pretty obvious Stannis is not the genuine article.

How many prophecies have actually come to anything at this point in the books anyway? I can think of one that has actively been thwarted (the Stallion that Mounts the World). So maybe it was Rhaegar and Robert has inadvertently doomed the entire human race.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Crown wrote:Errr ... Isn't Danny Azor Ahai?
The Dragon has three heads.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

streetad wrote:How many prophecies have actually come to anything at this point in the books anyway? I can think of one that has actively been thwarted (the Stallion that Mounts the World). So maybe it was Rhaegar and Robert has inadvertently doomed the entire human race.
I think the implication is that the Stallion that Mounts the World is a corruption of the Azhor Azhai prophecy, and that Dany is the one it was really talking about.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Don't forget the original name of the book series is A Song of Ice and Fire. Assuming Jon's heavily hinted parentage is true, he'd be the only one with a claim on both ice and fire.

Unrelated to the above is also the much less hinted theory that Tywin was right about Tyrion and his father is Aerys, making him the third head of the dragon, which I always liked.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Unrelated to the above is also the much less hinted theory that Tywin was right about Tyrion and his father is Aerys, making him the third head of the dragon, which I always liked.
I prefer the theory that Jaime and Cersei are Aerys children. The evidence is tenuous as hell, but it would make so much sense. And it would heighten the tragedy if Tyrion was Tywin's only true heir.

Also I believe Martin has stated that the heads of the dragon don't have to be Targaryens.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Ralin wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:Unrelated to the above is also the much less hinted theory that Tywin was right about Tyrion and his father is Aerys, making him the third head of the dragon, which I always liked.
I prefer the theory that Jaime and Cersei are Aerys children. The evidence is tenuous as hell, but it would make so much sense. And it would heighten the tragedy if Tyrion was Tywin's only true heir.

Also I believe Martin has stated that the heads of the dragon don't have to be Targaryens.
The timing seems to make more sense, and Cersei shares a lot more in common with Aerys than Tyrion.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wait, what is the theory about Tyrion's parentage?

TBH, it would cheapen the drama if he wasn't Tywinn's kid. But I do believe he will be the third head of the dragon.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs