Game of Thrones Season 4 news (spoilers galore)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 news (spoilers galore)

Post by Elheru Aran »

JLTucker wrote:Does Sansa do anything useful in the books? She does absolutely nothing of note in the serie other than being Joffrey's plaything.
...Yeah, that's pretty much it, actually.
Spoiler
Her main role later on is romantic interest for Littlefinger. By marrying her he believes he can consolidate his power by placing a claim upon the North via her being, he thinks, the only link left alive to House Stark after the Red Wedding.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elheru Aran wrote:
JLTucker wrote:Does Sansa do anything useful in the books? She does absolutely nothing of note in the serie other than being Joffrey's plaything.
She also helps get her father and his household killed!

I suppose you could say he stops what's his name the drunk knight from getting killed by Joffery. That was nice of her.

And that's ignoring the narrative role she has in giving us a window onto what's happening with King's Landing.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Not so far, no. But I have great hopes for her future
Spoiler
After learning about politics and how to manipulate people from Littlefinger.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elheru Aran wrote:

*snip*
Her main role isn't that. Its pretty clear where the books are taking her moving forward - Littlefinger intends to use her to secure both the North and the Vale, but its also fairly certain that Sansa will turn the tables on him. She's already started to figure out his manipulations unprompted by Book 4.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

While she has a narrative and to some degree is starting to take control of her own part in the story thus far, Sansa still hasn't been very active plot-wise; she's been essentially stuck in King's Landing, being Joffrey's favorite toy for a while. Her major part has been to show us what's going on-- she's basically a literary device for most of her appearances.

Of course you could say that of most of the characters at some point in the story, which leads us into rabbit trails of arguments about writing styles and literary devices and tropes and all that bollocks...

(Since the thread title says 'spoilers galore' I won't bother with tagging)

I will concede that in the *books* so far she has started to have more of a role. It appears that she is in a position currently to (possibly) assert a degree of sovereignty over the North, should she manage to get out from under Littlefinger's thumb and away from Lannister control. Given the way the series has been going thus far, however, I see it being more likely that Littlefinger will finagle his way into marrying her and potentially using that to manipulate the North into pledging their allegiance to him.

Along with that and his control of the Vale, and that burnt-out castle (damned if I can remember the name), he would be a contender for the kingship; Tommen isn't going to last long given the way things are going without Tyrion, Varys, Tywin or Littlefinger behind him. It looks like Varys is possibly plotting to set up a pretender to the Targaryen name upon the throne, although I will admit that's pure speculation. The Dornish may step in at some point as I believe they still have Myrcella, although I could be wrong about that, but they're more likely to sit back and see how things play out.

Now, as far as the *TV series* goes, Sansa hasn't done much at all other than being the one who talks to important people in order to move along the plot and get tormented by Joffrey. Oh, and she's indirectly responsible for her daddy letting himself get killed (persuaded him to take the black, didn't she?), but again, she hasn't done much for herself so far other than staying alive by cozying up to various people in power. That will likely change in Season 4; we'll see.
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

I've never seen Sansa as a plot oriented action character. I see her as basically a character study of of a hostage.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Elheru Aran wrote:While she has a narrative and to some degree is starting to take control of her own part in the story thus far, Sansa still hasn't been very active plot-wise; she's been essentially stuck in King's Landing, being Joffrey's favorite toy for a while. Her major part has been to show us what's going on-- she's basically a literary device for most of her appearances.

Of course you could say that of most of the characters at some point in the story, which leads us into rabbit trails of arguments about writing styles and literary devices and tropes and all that bollocks...

(Since the thread title says 'spoilers galore' I won't bother with tagging)
Agreed. Also, Sansa (in the books) serves to show the reader a lot about the culture of Westeros. Tyrion's internal dialogue may be all about the food, but Sansa notices what people are wearing and how they are groomed (with detailed notes on whether it is appropriate or not and why), relates real events that she's witnessing to history lessons and fairy tales, etc. She helps to bring the setting to life for the reader.
Elheru Aran wrote:[snip] Now, as far as the *TV series* goes, Sansa hasn't done much at all other than being the one who talks to important people in order to move along the plot and get tormented by Joffrey. Oh, and she's indirectly responsible for her daddy letting himself get killed (persuaded him to take the black, didn't she?), but again, she hasn't done much for herself so far other than staying alive by cozying up to various people in power. That will likely change in Season 4; we'll see.
Disagree on that being likely - Season 4 of the show is the second half of ASOS, which means she won't be doing much for herself other than staying alive by cozying up to (or at least covering for) Petyr. Season 5 should bring us to AFFC, the point where she finally starts to harden and wise up a little, starts to follow Petyr's schemes on her own, and has it in her to order a maester to poison a little kid.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Raw Shark wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:[snip] Now, as far as the *TV series* goes, Sansa hasn't done much at all other than being the one who talks to important people in order to move along the plot and get tormented by Joffrey. Oh, and she's indirectly responsible for her daddy letting himself get killed (persuaded him to take the black, didn't she?), but again, she hasn't done much for herself so far other than staying alive by cozying up to various people in power. That will likely change in Season 4; we'll see.
Disagree on that being likely - Season 4 of the show is the second half of ASOS, which means she won't be doing much for herself other than staying alive by cozying up to (or at least covering for) Petyr. Season 5 should bring us to AFFC, the point where she finally starts to harden and wise up a little, starts to follow Petyr's schemes on her own, and has it in her to order a maester to poison a little kid.
This is where we start to run into book vs tv series as far as the writing goes. I see it as being quite likely that they may start rearranging plot elements in order to make it all flow more smoothly for television purposes.

However I have to give you that point-- I forgot they didn't split the series until Feast for Crows which is when Sansa starts really getting active with Littlefinger and everything.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/go-on ... -season-4/

On the set video. Looks like Stannis and Davos are going to Braavos to talk to Mycroft Holmes *cough* Tycho Nestoris.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

We see Arya got Needle back ... FFS why did they kill The Tickler in season 2? Who's she gonna go HAM on now? Polliver? Who the fuck is gonna recognise/remember him?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Crown wrote:We see Arya got Needle back ... FFS why did they kill The Tickler in season 2? Who's she gonna go HAM on now? Polliver? Who the fuck is gonna recognise/remember him?
Well since he stole Needle from her, I'm sure they'll play it up in the "Previously" segment before the episode begins, and there'll be a flash of recognition in the episode itself I'm sure.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

HBO has released the first batch of Season 4 photos.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/01/hbo-r ... -4-photos/

First up, the new Daario:

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/up ... ay_HBO.jpg

And looks like the Kingsguard armor has changed for everyone, not just Jaime, judging from Meryn Trant in this pic:

And finally, Oberyn and his paramour:

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/up ... an_HBO.jpg
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

At least Daario has facial hair now.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

I wonder how they're going to address the new Daario, or if they'll just pretend nothing happened.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Koolaidkirby wrote:I wonder how they're going to address the new Daario, or if they'll just pretend nothing happened.
That's what they did with Ser Gregor. Isn't he on his third actor now?

I really want them to play up Joffery claiming to be the hero of the war. Like, non-stop bragging about how he turned back Stannis and masterminded the entire thing. Total divorce from reality.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Re Daario: if you squint really hard and have just had your skull cracked open with a baseball bat it still looks nothing like the other guy. They have Emilia Clark in a blonde wig, they can't get this asshole into one? Unless he's a face changer or something.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Re Daario: if you squint really hard and have just had your skull cracked open with a baseball bat it still looks nothing like the other guy. They have Emilia Clark in a blonde wig, they can't get this asshole into one? Unless he's a face changer or something.
It'd be nice if someone explained just why they got rid of Ed Skrein, who I thought was fine for the role. Its possible some HBO exec decided they just didn't like the look of him, or maybe the writers thought his chemistry with Emilia Clarke wasn't right, or someone decided he just looked silly with that entire look, hair included, so instead they cast Huisman (who apparently was really good in Treme) and dumped the hair.

The audience will probably figure it out within an episode - he's wearing the exact same outfit after all.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I wonder if David Bradley will stay on as Walder Frey, given that he's likely to be very busy with The Strain* for the next few years?

Granted, Walder doesn't seem to take up to much screen time, so it probably won't be an issue.

*Spoiler
Bradley plays a Holocaust survivor vampire hunter. Hilariously, the big bad's human ally's corporation is named.... Stoneheart Industries
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I see Needle, I see an inn in the background but I don't see the Hound injured at all;

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/up ... n_HBO-.jpg

Curious.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Crown wrote:I see Needle, I see an inn in the background but I don't see the Hound injured at all;

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/up ... n_HBO-.jpg

Curious.
Who knows, what if we end up following Sandor to the Quiet Isle (sp?) into Season 5?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

They'll probably have more than one fight scene with Sandor.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Look don't get me wrong I'm all for the adventures of Arya and the Hound (hound, hound, hound, hound) as much as the next guy, but that scene in the inn from the books is one of my favourite Arya scenes <Kanye West>OF ALL TIME</Kanye West>!

I hope they do it justice.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

My biggest chubby was the knights riding in the snow :)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

You've lost me, are you talking about faux Arya here?
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Vympel wrote:My biggest chubby was the knights riding in the snow :)
Spoiler
I wish it could be even more epic in Season 4, since Stannis meets up with the Iron Bank earlier and thus presumably could hire more people, but even HBO has only so much money.