Man of Steel "Fate of Your Planet"trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Man of Steel "Fate of Your Planet"trailer

Post by Lord Relvenous »

New trailer out, this one with lots of great looks at the villains and plenty of explosions.

If the movie actually manages to pull this off, this has the looks of a very fun superhero movie. I just worry that the action is going to be packed into 30 rushed minutes after 2 hours of origin story.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Man of Steel "Fate of Your Planet"trailer

Post by Stark »

This origin story will actually feature things happening. Maybe even new things that haven't been in every single Superman story ever! So hopefully not as bad as usual.

The action figure for Zod is awesome. He has a gas mask!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Man if nothing else the action looks pretty 'super'. Like people fast and invincible and strong etc. Conveys a sense of scale to the proceedings, as opposed to The Avengers where the enemies all kind of sucked.

If they can fold Zod into the Clark as mirror for the world stuff, it'll be good. Even if it's just Zod compelling humans to do bad shit, that'll be okay.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Is it me or is the music inching towards the classic theme? Like it is just about to break into Williams signature score.
I mean, so far this looks pretty good and like a Superman movie we have wanted since the first one, but add the old music... that would be awesome.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Havok wrote:Is it me or is the music inching towards the classic theme? Like it is just about to break into Williams signature score.
I mean, so far this looks pretty good and like a Superman movie we have wanted since the first one, but add the old music... that would be awesome.
I wonder is Han Zimmer is going to troll everyone again by not allowing the score to break into a full blown march. He did that for the batman movies, so he might do the same thing again.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Don't I think I caught any of the Williams score in the music?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Justice
Youngling

Post by Justice »

Batman wrote:Don't I think I caught any of the Williams score in the music?
Right when Zod says "Suffer the consequences" and it shows Kal-El's eyes, it gives a huge "Inception Horns" chord which is the same as the starting chord to Williams' classic theme.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err no it's not? It sort of starts and ends the same, but it decidedly lacks the middle part of that portion of the classic Clark theme. Which makes up sort of 80 percent of that sequence.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Don't worry about it Batman.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I don't worry about it. This movie is either going to suck or it isn't, and so is the soundtrack. I fail to recognize any trace of the Williams one, that's all.
Justice
Youngling

Post by Justice »

Batman wrote:Err no it's not? It sort of starts and ends the same, but it decidedly lacks the middle part of that portion of the classic Clark theme. Which makes up sort of 80 percent of that sequence.
I'm not saying it was the classic theme, just where he likely heard the similarity. I fully expected the John Williams theme to start up when I heard the chord, even if it didn't.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You're best checking the third trailer "An Ideal Of Hope" for Zimmer's variation of what Supes' theme will be now. You're not getting Williams rescored. It's a new film, let's have new music.

That said, this combined with the third trailer pretty much sells me on it all. Goosebumps from the new Zod, especially with that music and those visuals, makes me ache for the IMAX showing now.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Stark wrote:The action figure for Zod is awesome. He has a gas mask!
I thought they just recycled the prometheus engineer's mask :D
Needs moar dakka
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

No, no. He's Combine. That Seven Hours War? Zod turned up on his day off.

Pretty funny that Zod and Faora alone will probably do more damage in less time than any villain in any Marvel film, especially the lame Chitauri.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Chitauri were a moderately advanced invading army which only a small portion of got on the ground. They didn't even have enough soldiers to hold Manhattan, a 33 square mile island, Avengers or no.

Saying what we saw of the Chitauri was lame is like saying one division of tanks is lame because they couldn't conquer Russia without the rest of the tanks that sank in the ocean.

The point in the Avengers was that what we saw of the Chitauri pushed them to limit and had Stark not sacrificed himself to blow up the main ship/force they would have be completely overwhelmed like they were starting to be once the Chitauri started figuring out what they were up against and how to fight them (see them taking down the Hulk)

Superman or Zod by themselves could decimate entire countries in pretty much every incarnation ever. Zod better do more damage than a very small portion of an invading army.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:No, no. He's Combine. That Seven Hours War? Zod turned up on his day off.

Pretty funny that Zod and Faora alone will probably do more damage in less time than any villain in any Marvel film, especially the lame Chitauri.
Just wait for Thanos. :D
Needs moar dakka
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I haven't been impressed with the trailers so far, but this one? Awesome.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

This trailer would be pretty lame without the context of the previous trailers; who cares that someone is threatening to blow up the Earth to draw Clark out without knowing the fundamentally different attitude of the film?
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Stark wrote:This trailer would be pretty lame without the context of the previous trailers; who cares that someone is threatening to blow up the Earth to draw Clark out without knowing the fundamentally different attitude of the film?
Me. Looking at this trailer in total isolation, it's still a movie about an alien armada besieging Earth to capture one of their own. That's a cool premise.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Right, and its the Avengers premise. It's ok if you're looking for shallow stuff, but the only interest some people have in this film is that it is different and has drama, and not cut pasted FX shots from the last three years. :v

I mean its a bit to much to expect it to be aware enough to have Zod/president stuff going on; in mainstream films you have to take what you can get. :lol:
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well they certainly don't seem to have skimped on the action this time.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Batman wrote:Well they certainly don't seem to have skimped on the action this time.
No sir. And the film certainly has style to spare.

Despite myself, I'm actually getting pretty excited for the movie.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

If I hear John Williams, I will lose it and this will be OMG BEST MOVIE EVERRRRRRR! :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I've got a question that perhaps goes beyond the scope of this trailer and more into DC comic book lore in general.. maybe a bit of an odd question.

How does Kryptonian durability scale up relative to their strength, when compared to humans?
Like, for humans, a pretty built guy who can throw a proper right hook putting his hips into it and land it squarely on the side of another dude's jaw will pretty much knock him out or at least cause some serious damage.

Is it the same for two Kryptonians?
Or does durability scale up more than strength? Or less?

Different but related, do they have some sort of a "healing factor"?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star