Man of Steel "Fate of Your Planet"trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Man of Steel "Fate of Your Planet"trailer

Post by Ahriman238 »

Cykeisme wrote:I've got a question that perhaps goes beyond the scope of this trailer and more into DC comic book lore in general.. maybe a bit of an odd question.

How does Kryptonian durability scale up relative to their strength, when compared to humans?
Like, for humans, a pretty built guy who can throw a proper right hook putting his hips into it and land it squarely on the side of another dude's jaw will pretty much knock him out or at least cause some serious damage.

Is it the same for two Kryptonians?
Or does durability scale up more than strength? Or less?

Different but related, do they have some sort of a "healing factor"?
On Earth where they're strong, they're invulnerable to everything but kryptonite, magic, red sun radiation, sonics, and getting punched in the face by a similarly strong being. Which seems to work out more like two guys punching each other until it's dramatic to show them flying through several buildings after a hit.

The Dark Knight Returns, Superman Returns, and Smallville all state or imply that Clark heals rapidly but only in direct sunlight. AFAIK, this has never been a part of the main comics. Have fun with the inevitable canon debate.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hmm, so two yellow sunned-up Kryptonians slugging each other will have more difficulty hurting each other than two human blokes doing the same?

Ahriman238 wrote:Which seems to work out more like two guys punching each other until it's dramatic to show them flying through several buildings after a hit.
Now that you mention it specifically, I suppose that actually does make sense from a physics standpoint..

Their durability is drastically increased, but they mass about the same as a human (or not much more).
So when one Kryptonian hits the other, the victim's momentum is so low (relative to the impulse applied from a Super Punch) that he's simply accelerated by the blow instead of deforming (getting hurt). Meanwhile, the target's durability allows him to survive the massive G-Forces of the sudden acceleration.
He simply goes sailing backward and goes through a building, safely.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I don't think he's talking about it being more difficult for them to hurt each other, it's just not going to happen until it's dramatically worthwhile (or deemed so by the writers at any rate) what with this being a storytelling situation. The same thing happens in Me stories all the time too-people don't get hurt when they realistically should, they get hurt when it is dramatically convenient.
Incidentally, I do think Clark having a massive healing factor popped up in the comics (if not all that frequently)-didn't the 'Tower of Babel' arc have that being a problem WRT getting the kryptonite bullet out of him, or was that just in the animated movie?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I meant that it looks like two guys beating each other up, they get bruises, scrapes, maybe someone chips a tooth. You wouldn't know they were superstrong types going at it, unless the artist decided to show windows exploding or the ground cracking. Then one of them gets hit and goes flying a really long way, or picks up a tractor trailer truck to use as a club.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud