Agents of SHIELD first trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Havok
Miscreant

Re: Agents of SHIELD first trailer

Post by Havok »

They also have The Punisher back.

I think DD would be cool, but I would fuck around with Matt Murdock and just leave DD as a news real background character.

Power Man and Iron Fist would fit perfectly into this with the Heroes for Hire gig.

It's on ABC so at least I can watch it with my rabbit ears if I remember.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Dude the Punisher would be so fucking awesome in this. Especially since Whedon despises him. He could be a super rightwing anti-super vigilante psychopath who targets "bad" superpowered individuals or some shit.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Flagg wrote:Dude the Punisher would be so fucking awesome in this. Especially since Whedon despises him.
Source for this? I mean it's totally believable given his hatred of guns but I've never seen Whedon openly say he hates the character.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So who's the chick trying to play "Deep Throat" radio host?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Darksider wrote:
Flagg wrote:Dude the Punisher would be so fucking awesome in this. Especially since Whedon despises him.
Source for this? I mean it's totally believable given his hatred of guns but I've never seen Whedon openly say he hates the character.
Shit, I don't remember it was several years ago. You can tell from his stint on Runaways that he's not a Punisher fan just by the way he treated the character when he had a guest spot in an issue or two. But what I recall him saying is that there's no way Castle hasn't killed a bunch of innocent people considering how much firepower he throws around.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Flagg wrote:But what I recall him saying is that there's no way Castle hasn't killed a bunch of innocent people considering how much firepower he throws around.
That's pretty stupid, then. Unless you're writing for that "What If?" comic where Bruce Banner died of radiation poisoning, the Fantastic Four died of radiation poisoning, and Peter Parker died of radiation poisoning, you really need to have some suspension of disbelief.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

LadyTevar wrote:So who's the chick trying to play "Deep Throat" radio host?
She has to be Skye, the new civilian recruit. The first episode will likely be about tracking her down and recruiting her.

I really hope they do not have superheroes coming to save the day. It should be these normals, the SHIELD agents, working it out on their own without help from supers. Their villains don't even have to be supers all the time.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I'm of kind of mixed feelings about not dead Coulson. On the one hand, he was dead. It was kind of important to the movie. On the other, he was the perfect character to do this with, and unless they wanted to try and rope in Cobie Smulders really the only option they had to link the show to the film. As long as they don't shoehorn him int the avengers 2 in a really awkward manner I'm ok with it, but it makes me leery.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I agree with Hav, Matt Murdock would be an awesome character if used right. Maybe have Murdock be some crusading oversight lawyer out to reign in SHIELD on behalf of the US government after Fury gave them the finger in Avengers. The DD stuff can be mentioned in the background as a wink and a nod to fans, but keep the "legitimate" Murdock the central focus of his appearances.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Flagg wrote:Shit, I don't remember it was several years ago. You can tell from his stint on Runaways that he's not a Punisher fan just by the way he treated the character when he had a guest spot in an issue or two. But what I recall him saying is that there's no way Castle hasn't killed a bunch of innocent people considering how much firepower he throws around.
Honestly, I never really got that impression from him, at least from the writing he did with the Punisher. What complaints I have sen generally amount to using metanarrrative information or logic and, in my opinion, are countered by the fact that the Punisher, a regular human, took a punch from Molly "I regularly send Wolveirne flying with a single blow" Hayes and stood his ground.

Though I honestly see a little bit of Jayne Cobb in the way he wrote the Punisher, which could be a bad thing.

But I'm still on the 'He took a gut shot from a super strong human and stood his ground" train.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Hawkwings wrote:I really hope they do not have superheroes coming to save the day. It should be these normals, the SHIELD agents, working it out on their own without help from supers. Their villains don't even have to be supers all the time.
I agree fully. They should be used rather sparingly. Like maybe 6 times a season, for Sweeps, haituses openers and enders.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Link to Punisher/Whedon thread.
God, my memory sucks. . .
Browncoat

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

NeoGoomba wrote:I'm hoping for Slapstick and Stiltman to become recurring characters.
I was hoping for a running gag about Squirrel Girl. Even just something like "Don't ask."
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Ahriman238 wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:I'm hoping for Slapstick and Stiltman to become recurring characters.
I was hoping for a running gag about Squirrel Girl. Even just something like "Don't ask."
Oh, that would be perfect.

"I've got a hit with a girl who can talk to squirrels in Michigan!"
"That's it?"
". . . It's a slow week?"

or

"Man, I am so gonna be demoted."
"No, you're not."
"I totally am. Next week, I'll be chasing that Squirrel Girl from Michigan."
Browncoat

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Personally I think the Punisher could work as kind of sympathetic opponent for the heroes to show what happens when a "hero" goes "too far" and becomes as big of the threat to SHIELD intrests as the people he is taking out.

basically keep the tragic back story Frank Castle has but imply (or say outright) that in his obsession for "punishment" he causes just as much (if not more) collateral damage as they people he's fighting.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Majin Gojira wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:
Oh, that would be perfect.

"I've got a hit with a girl who can talk to squirrels in Michigan!"
"That's it?"
". . . It's a slow week?"

or

"Man, I am so gonna be demoted."
"No, you're not."
"I totally am. Next week, I'll be chasing that Squirrel Girl from Michigan."

Yeah, that sort of thing.

Of course. I'm also hoping for original characters and situations, not just recylced minor bits from the MU. I'm also sort of curious if they'll eventually bring in the more recent SWORD and ARMOR.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

SWORD is more likely . . . if the show lasts until Guardians of the Galaxy is released (which I hope it does), it can come up in the aftermath of it as a SHIELD subdivision.

ARMOR is harder to Justify.

As to original vs. MU sources, I'd prefer an even mix. C, D and F list characters at most, but more concepts and ideas that they can play with.

Though, as a rule for this sort of program, they're eventually going to do an Unlimited Class Wrestling episode. Mark my words. Every action show requires a Gladiator/Fight Club episode.
Browncoat

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Punisher doesn't work well in this venue because he really doesn't blip on SHIELD's radar as he goes mostly after normal bad guys.
Now, if you wanted to re-write him so that he was a SHIELD agent who's family gets killed by supervillains and he is using SHIELD tech to kill them, maybe you could shoehorn him in, but it will be shoehorned and it will feel wrong, and I think, not work.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

NeoGoomba wrote:I agree with Hav, Matt Murdock would be an awesome character if used right. Maybe have Murdock be some crusading oversight lawyer out to reign in SHIELD on behalf of the US government after Fury gave them the finger in Avengers. The DD stuff can be mentioned in the background as a wink and a nod to fans, but keep the "legitimate" Murdock the central focus of his appearances.
The "in-joke" could be that Daredevil keeps evading SHIELD and they have like, zero intel on him and it is constantly pissing SHIELD and Colson off. "Damnit! It's like he knows all of our deployment schedules and search grids or something!" :lol:
You just have good old blind Matt Murdock feeling his way around and he can't see our files 'cause he is blind so why cover them? :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Don't know if anyone's interested, but the pilot airs tonight at 8.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I only caught the last 15 minutes but y'know, flying Corvette. :)

Also did anyone else catch Coulson and his "Matrix" dodge. He either got brought back to life and is himself now a super-human or he is an LMD.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)