Agents of SHIELD first trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Agents of SHIELD first trailer

Post by Ahriman238 »

So I think it was first mentioned on this board awhile ago (couldn't find it) that ABC has been working since last summer on a police procedural spin-off of the Marvel movie-verse. At least, I seem to remember discussion that the show might draw in big-name actors for TV, with the potential of playing Luke Cage or whatnot on the show and maybe getting a bit piece in the next Avengers film. Plus Whedon's directing, so there's great potential to keep continuity with the movies.

In any case, the first trailer for ABC's "Agents of SHIELD" is up. And it has Coulson. Randomly.

Thoughts?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Agents of SHIELD first trailer

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wait... Coulson? MARVEL, do you realise the 'comic book death' thing is generally considered to be a bad stupid thing right?
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

It could be set ambiguously before/after Avengers?
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Coulson's death was pretty ambiguous on the movie, IMO.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I was fairly sure I heard that the tv show would take place BEFORE Avengers. So...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I was fairly sure I heard that the tv show would take place BEFORE Avengers. So...
Quite possible, and the most reassuring answer I can think of.

IMDB has a cast page. Starring Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson. I recognize Ming-Na Wen (Camille Wray from SGU) whose playing someone named Melinda May. The other names, Brett Dalton, Chloe Bennet, Iain de Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge mean nothing to me.

EDIT: forgot, there's a cast photo too.

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I've read in several places that coulson survived but it was covered up by fury.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

According to Joss and Clark Gregg, this takes place after Avengers. So looks like we get a Comic Book Death afterall.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Or, perhaps there's going to be some sort of plot twist and 'this' Coulson is actually 'something else'?

Just a thought.

I'll be interested to watch an episode or two.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Alyeska wrote:According to Joss and Clark Gregg, this takes place after Avengers. So looks like we get a Comic Book Death afterall.
Which isn't a big deal, and frankly, fits the universe they have created.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Its a SciFi and Fantasy based universe. So long as the characters don't die and ressurect every 15 minutes, it can work.

Heck, we already have a viable argument from Avengers. Fury lied. We already know he lied about Coulson having the cards on him. He could very well have lied about Coulson dying purely to inspire the troops. Coulson is a senior agent known to everyone. Someone respected. Fury uses the "death" to inspire the Avengers. And its perfectly within his manipulative nature.

Besides, I liked Coulson. Good to see him staring in his own show now.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Looks good (and pretty high budget). I have mixed feelings about Whedon's involvement (I like his work about fifty percent of the time). Is he writing it or just directing it?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Looks good (and pretty high budget). I have mixed feelings about Whedon's involvement (I like his work about fifty percent of the time). Is he writing it or just directing it?
He wrote and directed the pilot, but he's gonna be busy with Avengers 2 so I figure it'll have a different show runner.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Flagg wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Looks good (and pretty high budget). I have mixed feelings about Whedon's involvement (I like his work about fifty percent of the time). Is he writing it or just directing it?
He wrote and directed the pilot, but he's gonna be busy with Avengers 2 so I figure it'll have a different show runner.
I assume he'll still be providing some degree of creative direction in order to have the series synch up with the ensuing MCU films.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

On every show Joss produces, and even the comics he also runs (Angel & Faith, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9) he gives a once over to each script. He started out as a script doctor and he tweaks each one to be in overall synch and tighten things up.

As a fan of the majority of his work, I don't mind this in the slightest.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

A snide comment: "Yay! It's on ABC, not FOX! WE'll have more than one season!!!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Even longer trailer

I'm liking the look of this
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'And what does that mean to you?' That somebody really wanted our initials to spell out SHIELD.' :D

Liking what I've seen so far. Looking forward with interest.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Is that meant to be Luke Cage? Pretty sweet if it is. Iron Fist can't be far behind!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I hope so.

If only so we can get expansion on the "You're not the only super hero" thing with things set in the Marvel Universe's past.

The Immortal Weapons!
The Agents of Atlas!
Orson Randall and the Confederates of the Curious!

. . .

Yeah, it's probably not gonna happen.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I'm hoping for Slapstick and Stiltman to become recurring characters.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I bet Coulson faked his death. My wife and I will be delighted to see him back, he's a great character. She loves repeating "His first name is Agent!"

Does anyone have a low-key villian they'd like to see appear? I'm personally hoping for the Armadillo.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TOSDOC wrote:Does anyone have a low-key villian they'd like to see appear? I'm personally hoping for the Armadillo.
The bit with the orange hologram reminds me of a gadget used by the Taskmaster. I only know him from a couple of miniseries, but I liked what I saw of the character there.
Satori
Youngling

Post by Satori »

Ming-Na is back in live action in a non-awful show? YAY! She was such a fun voice actor.
Given the respective degrees of vulnerability to mental and physical force, annoying the powers of chaos to the point where they try openly to kill them all rather than subvert them is probably a sound survival strategy under the circumstances. -Eleventh Century Remnant
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Man I wanna see them do Daredevil. They have the rights back. I don't even like Daredevil but as a recurring antihero character it could be pretty awesome.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw