That Fucking Guy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spekio
Jedi Knight

Re: That Fucking Guy

Post by Spekio »

Kuja´s story reminded me of the Elf-Slayer Chronicles.

But indeed, the DM can be that guy, when he wants to tell his story despite his players.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What, pray tell, are the Elf Slayer Chronicles?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Kuja wrote:Okay. I can kind of see where you're coming from with this statement? But this is the kind of mindset that eventually leads to the Dead Baby Dilemma.
And that my friend is the stuff that drama is made of. Seriously, that is the kind of thing that not only deserves writing but deserves reading as well. Also, that is the sort of situation that every hero has to eventually face. And the only thing he can do, if there truly is no third choice is kill the child, save the world and become even more determined. As now he has that blemish, that mark on his soul that will newer go away. And he has the duty to newer allow it to happen again. And if he loses his powers all the better. He has done an evil deed, even if for a good cause. He has fallen. But that should not change who he is. It should not change his personality. All it should change is that now he has to ask him self some thought questions and emerge at the end repentant and ready to go back at it. Or commit suicide, which ever works best.

Now I know that this is not what you meant. You said it your self that it is a tool for a bad DM to make life miserable for his players. But let's face it, in the hands of a good DM it could turn into a great plot twist. Just as long as there are options for redemption later on and the player is informed about it. So it's not all bad. Also for some context. I do not usually roleplay live but run D&D games over the internet play by post. So that might be why I am looking at this in a more write your own story sense.

Or maybe it's just because you have handed me a great plot idea. Now just to find a player on the weave who actually wants to play a paladin...
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'm up for playing paladins, but never for a DM who says in advance that he's out specifically to screw one.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Purple wrote: Now I know that this is not what you meant. You said it your self that it is a tool for a bad DM to make life miserable for his players. But let's face it, in the hands of a good DM it could turn into a great plot twist. Just as long as there are options for redemption later on and the player is informed about it. So it's not all bad. Also for some context. I do not usually roleplay live but run D&D games over the internet play by post. So that might be why I am looking at this in a more write your own story sense.
For that to work well it pretty much requires a good GM and good player with trust between the two. Otherwise it's a ha ha screw you that's just infuriating and terrible enough that it tars the legitimate uses. However, if whatever he does leads to falling, that's bad unless it's a point that the god he worships is kind of a total dick. I doubt there are that many gods who functionally make a paladin fall for discovering a threat to existence and can stay in character doing it.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If your DM has set up a carefully crafted situation such that there is no way out of it that does not cause the Paladin to fall, your DM is That Fucking Guy.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

FaxModem1 wrote:What, pray tell, are the Elf Slayer Chronicles?
As 1d4chan puts it:
In december of 2009, a fa/tg/uy posted the story of his campaign. After the prince of a human kingdom had wandered into an elven kingdom was was presumably killed by the xenophobic elves with a "shoot first don't bother asking questions" policy, the king declared war on the elves, and sent the party in.

What had actuall happened though, is that the prince was injured by a fall from his horse and was taken in by the elves, nursed to health and was in a gay relationship with the captain of the royal guard. The elves were prepared to send the prince back home to avoid hostilities, but the party didn't go with that. Instead, they murdered the prince and blamed his death on his elvish lover.

As you might have guessed by now, the DM was a yaoi fangirl. To her credit though, she didn't throw a fit or went "Rocks fall, everyone dies" on the party; instead she pitted the elves against the party in an attempt to discover the truth and bring the true killers to justice.

What happened next was a campaign-long game of cat and mouse between the OP and his cohorts against the DM. For four weeks /tg/ got to enjoy the brilliant scheming and planning of the OP, being one step ahead of the DM at every turn. It was like just like Death Note, except with elves.

It involves elf-murder, plans going exactly as planned, and a half-orc woman raping OP's character. It is a must read for every neckbeard.
Can be read here. It's a really funny story of player revolt against railroading.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Reading the Elfslayer chronicles has made me want to DM again! If I find people wanting to fuck with my plans just as much as Elfslayer and his team! I once had a group that turned a simple warm-up "save the princess" quest into something that reorganized the borders of a whole continent, just because one of them was bored that day, and thought it would be nice to start a war - you know a campaign has become epic when you find yourself in the need to make up rules for small unit and full army warfare :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.