DC Comics reveals first openly Transgender in Batgirl

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

DC Comics reveals first openly Transgender in Batgirl

Post by FaxModem1 »

Huffington Post
DC Comics Introduces First Openly Transgender Character In Batgirl Comic (PICTURES)

Posted: 04/11/2013 12:19 pm EDT | Updated: 04/11/2013 2:25 pm EDT
Share on Google+
Dc Comics Transgender Batgirl
Get Gay Voices Alerts:
Follow:
Video, DC Comics, DC Comics Gay Superhero, Transgender Issues, Batgirl, Batgirl Transgender, Batgirl Transgender Comic, Batomwan Lesbian, Batwoman, Batwoman Proposes, Dc Comics Batwgirl, Dc Comics Gay, Dc Comics Homophobia, Dc Comics Scott Orson Card, Dc Comics Transgender, Trans, Transgender, Gay Voices News

DC Comics has introduced a new lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual (LGBT) friendly character: Alysia Yeoh, the transgender roommate of Batgirl.

Comic fans were introduced to Alysia in "Batgirl" #19, which hit shelves on Wednesday, according to Wired. She is the first transgender character in mainstream comics, and she reveals that she is trans during a conversation with Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) in the pages of the new issue. The character is also bisexual.

SCROLL FOR PHOTOS

Writer Gail Simone told Wired she was inspired by the fans to develop a character like Alysia. "Why was this so impossible?" she asked herself at the time. "Why in the world can we not do a better job of representation of not just humanity, but also our own loyal audience?”

Simone explained to Wired that breaking down barriers in the comic book world is a process. "[A]lmost all the tentpoles we build our industry upon were created over a half century ago… at a time where the characters were almost without exception white, cis-gendered, straight, on and on," she said. "It’s fine — it’s great that people love those characters. But if we only build around them, then we look like an episode of 'The Andy Griffith Show' for all eternity.”

After the big reveal, some questioned if Alysia is in fact the first openly transgender character in comics.

Comic blog Bleeding Cool notes that there have been multiple transgender characters in the past -- like Masquerade from 1993's "Blood Syndicate" or Marisa Rahm from "Death Wish" -- but many of these were either not outwardly identified as transgender or the issues themselves were labeled mature content/alternative, as opposed to mainstream.

DC's inclusion of LGBT characters has been moving ahead at full steam recently.

In February, Batwoman proposed to her girlfriend, Captain Maggie Sawyer, in the first-ever lesbian marriage proposal in comic history.

All of this comes on the heels of controversy surrounding DC tapping anti-gay writer Orson Scott Card to co-author the "Adventures of Superman" #1 digital short. A petition to get Card booted from the project has since gathered over 17,000 signatures. However, DC stood by the Ender's Game author, and the issue is set to be released on May 29.
Pictures on link if you want to see the relevant pages.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: DC Comics reveals first openly Transgender in Batgirl

Post by Batman »

A goodly portion of the DC cast isn't even from this planet but a transgender human one is a no-go.
That being said, everything that has a chance to get the New 52 idiocy undone, however small the chance, is worth trying.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And it only took them what, a bit over a decade to do the same thing that the Gotham Girls flash animation series did?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Didn't Neil Gaiman do that at Vertigo way back in the 80s?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

First in a mainstream super hero title. Hell, Sir Ystin over in "Demon Knights" s Transgender, but that's a medieval book.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Batman wrote:A goodly portion of the DC cast isn't even from this planet but a transgender human one is a no-go.
Not being the most familiar with comic culture, why would this be a no-go? As in, zero possibility of success?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Probably seen as too controversial and too likely to cause parent backlash until now.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I got the comic this week as my standard pickup and to be honest when I read it it didn't occur to me this would be a big thing or unique really.

It came a little out of the left field to me hadn't really been telegraphed much, it was suggested that her room mate had a secret but nothing suggested this to me.

I sort of hope they don't really make much of it in universe just have it as a known fact rather than making it "Batgirl and her Transgender friend the comic".
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm a little late to the party, but good for Gail Simone for pushing for something like this.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

It doesn't follow the definition of a transgender person, but similar.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

No, in fact, a man crossdressing for the purposes of disguise and a trans woman are not similar at all.