The "Why aren't you reading Worm yet?" Thread.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The "Why aren't you reading Worm yet?" Thread.

Post by LadyTevar »

Pact 2 is up, and again this has caught me more than the others. I want to know what's going on.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I would not at all be unhappy with Boil, but I'm seriously pulling for Pact.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Definitely rooting for Pact.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'd still prefer boil, purely on the science side. Pact was well written, but there's tons of well written horror out there.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Pact doesn't really strike me as something original - it's a basic monster story. Still rooting for Boil.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I'd be happy with either Pact or Boil, wildbow's style seems to add more to the basic premise.

Pact 3 up, with a lot of answers to what's been going on, and how deep our protagonist is in it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Pact is starting to look interesting. I'm still hoping Wildblow goes with Boil though.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

To be fair, I took a week off to read a book and then read Pact 1-3 in one sitting, which may have influenced my impression of it, but it definitely sparked my imagination more than the others. Where else are we going to get an utterly fucked Protagonist / Protagonist's Cousin / Protagonist's Alt-Universe Female-Self-And/Or-Maybe-Dead-Grandma love triangle, huh? Huh? ;]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

ok, Pact is growing on me.

Still feels a bit like a retread of the ground used in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_S ... Mr_Norrell but meh.

Here's hoping for Boil
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

and it's pact:
temp home for chapter 4 while wildbow pretties up a new site, and I guess we need a new thread?

http://wildbow.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/sample-pact-4/
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

On it.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud