Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Raw Shark wrote:Overall a very good episode, IMHO. A few thoughts:

Very surprised that they didn't do Joffrey's wedding in this episode. Kind of lackluster compared to the upbeat tone I was expecting them to console the fans with.
There's no way that was going to happen. They haven't introduced the Red Viper yet.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Has anyone watched the What the Flick review yet? I find it hilarious that the reasoning they're giving for believing that Yara will win is that she not only gave a badass speech but is the heroic character on the noble mission in this case and must therefore slay the evil dragon Ramsay. Didn't Robb give a big speech before he died? It's literally been one episode since the Red Wedding. When will people learn :lol: ? It's almost like they're daring the show writers or something.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Spoiler
So I'm hearing about a very 'Humanitarian' bit of fallout from the red wedding
has that character been introduced yet?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Scrib wrote:Has anyone watched the What the Flick review yet? I find it hilarious that the reasoning they're giving for believing that Yara will win is that she not only gave a badass speech but is the heroic character on the noble mission in this case and must therefore slay the evil dragon Ramsay. Didn't Robb give a big speech before he died? It's literally been one episode since the Red Wedding. When will people learn :lol: ? It's almost like they're daring the show writers or something.
My guess is that she'll run afoul of Stannis and Davos before she gets near the Dreadfort.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't think so. I think this will serve as something to keep Theon and her relevant throughout the season. I mean, unlike the books, you just can't have them disappear for longer periods of time.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:Overall a very good episode, IMHO. A few thoughts:

Very surprised that they didn't do Joffrey's wedding in this episode. Kind of lackluster compared to the upbeat tone I was expecting them to console the fans with.
There's no way that was going to happen. They haven't introduced the Red Viper yet.
Like book continuity matters here... I wouldn't be shocked if they up and decided to eliminate the Red Viper as a superfluous character at this point, honestly.

WRT: Asha: Again, kind of disappointed here. Asha isn't Brienne, as much as she may come off as a self-actualized clone; she undertakes that quest because there is something very specific that she wants out of it that hasn't come to a head on the show yet.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

They can't cut the Red Viper, that's like cutting out Baleon, to many events depend on him even if he simply comes in, does stuff and dies. Without the Red Viper 90% of Dorne makes no sense. Without Dorne most of Dany's later story makes no sense. Without the Red Viper who defends Tyrion?

Without the Red Viper how do we get the Mountains best lines and Robert Strong?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Mr Bean wrote:They can't cut the Red Viper, that's like cutting out Baleon, to many events depend on him even if he simply comes in, does stuff and dies. Without the Red Viper 90% of Dorne makes no sense. Without Dorne most of Dany's later story makes no sense. Without the Red Viper who defends Tyrion?

Without the Red Viper how do we get the Mountains best lines and Robert Strong?
Yeah, it would completely fuck up a lot of awesome shit that the fans take as essential. Needless to say, I'm not putting that past HBO right now.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Raw Shark wrote:
Yeah, it would completely fuck up a lot of awesome shit that the fans take as essential. Needless to say, I'm not putting that past HBO right now.
Nothing they have cut so far has any serious implications for later on yet except with the possible exception of the Horn of Winter and the Stone Dragon both of which they can still introduce later.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Mr Bean wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:
Nothing they have cut so far has any serious implications for later on yet except with the possible exception of the Horn of Winter and the Stone Dragon both of which they can still introduce later.
...and the potential ramifications of the Jayne Westerling plotline, and Varamyr Sixskins, and pretty much everything in the House of the Undying...

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Raw Shark wrote:...and the potential ramifications of the Jayne Westerling plotline, and Varamyr Sixskins, and pretty much everything in the House of the Undying...
Or more likely GRRM told them "Hey dudes, nothing comes of the Jayne Westerling plotline." The House of the Undying stuff foreshadows, but I don't think it's really necessary for anything. And I'm not sure what exactly Varamyr Sixskins needs to be there for?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Ralin wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:...and the potential ramifications of the Jayne Westerling plotline, and Varamyr Sixskins, and pretty much everything in the House of the Undying...
Or more likely GRRM told them "Hey dudes, nothing comes of the Jayne Westerling plotline." The House of the Undying stuff foreshadows, but I don't think it's really necessary for anything. And I'm not sure what exactly Varamyr Sixskins needs to be there for?
I don't personally buy into it, but Jayne's at the center of what is IMHO one of the great red herrings of the series. The House of the Undying foreshadows all kinds of important shit, including something rather large having to do with Jon. Varamyr Sixskins a) is just great, and instead we get more of fucking Orell? and b) Delivers some potentially very important information in ADWD.

streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Whatever you think of the writers by all accounts they have been pretty good at checking what GRRM is planning before making any major changes. Jayne/Robbs baby is clearly not going to amount to anything. I Incidentally took away from the book that her mother had forced an abortion on her anyway.

The only way they could get rid of Oberyn Martell is if they are doing away with Dorne entirely which is somewhat unlikely. They would then need someone else to take part in Tyrion's trial by combat. I doubt they are going to kill off Bronn at this point....

Anyway, haven't they already announced they are casting him?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Yeah, they are going to have to do something with Dorne eventually as it was introduced during the marrying off scene and eventually people are going to wonder why there is this whole major region of Westros gets to sit this whole thing out.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

No one but Melisandre has mentioned Azhor Ahai yet, and that's kind of a big deal, I guess.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I was also curious as to how they plan on Asha gettin to the Dreadfort. If by boat that is one hell of a journey past quite a few adversaries and its not like they can hand wave it away given they make it a point to show off the big map at the beginning of each episode.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hey, isn't Asha supposed to be hot?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Cykeisme wrote:Hey, isn't Asha supposed to be hot?
Really?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Cykeisme wrote:Hey, isn't Asha supposed to be hot?
Eh, sort of. She had terrible acne when she was younger, but that cleared up and she's more-or-less grown into her looks, and she has an athletic body, but her sex appeal (especially among the ironmen) is probably rooted more in her personality.