Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Scrib
Jedi Knight

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Scrib »

Mr Bean wrote: Also for long time watchers Larry Williams of OtakuAssemble announced his last GoT video would be the season finale as he's giving up on the show. .
Well, I'm pretty sure that he had the series spoiled for him so I can understand his apathy.

Are there any other fresh eyes reviewing? I'd love to see a reaction similar to his own when Ned Stark died.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fucking christ. :shock:

I mean I knew it had to happen, it was just such a blatant trap and everything was going so well, but fucking christ.

I think Rob Stark was a douche and I didn't like his mom all that much either, so I'm not sad to see them go, but could somebody save one of the fucking wolves just once, gawd that is killing me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Havok wrote: I think Rob Stark was a douche and I didn't like his mom all that much either, so I'm not sad to see them go, but could somebody save one of the fucking wolves just once, gawd that is killing me.
I really dislike how they handled Grey wind's death in the series vs the books.

There was no reason here (in the series) for him to be locked up in a cage, [as opposed to always being next to Robb]. (And in the books, he manages to break out and kill a dozen Frey's before dying).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I was worried at the start of that episode, since it seemed to be a bit of a slow burn. But then everything picked up, and it was good (albeit not as great as "Blackwater" last season). Spoiler
I particularly liked the lead-up to the final betrayal, when Catelyn sees Bolton's chain mail and realizes for sure that her sense of foreboding is entirely justified.
My only real regret is that you don't get quite as much of a sense as to how deep this goes back as you do in the book. Frey likely saw Robb's betrayal of the wedding pact as the last in a long line of insults done to him by the Tullys, and one of the most serious (since Frey put himself at risk of treason by allying with Robb and letting them cross his bridge). And breaching "guest right" is a huge "no" in Westeros.
Spoiler
Since they have Sam knowing about the secret passage under the Nightfort, I'm going to assume that they've cut out Coldhands, at least until the next season.
Last edited by Guardsman Bass on 2013-06-03 02:04am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I was worried at the start of that episode, since it seemed to be a bit of a slow burn. But then everything picked up, and it was good (albeit not as great as "Blackwater" last season). I particularly liked the lead-up to the final betrayal, when Catelyn sees Bolton's chain mail and realizes for sure that her sense of foreboding is entirely justified.

My only real regret is that you don't get quite as much of a sense as to how deep this goes back as you do in the book. Frey likely saw Robb's betrayal of the wedding pact as the last in a long line of insults done to him by the Tullys, and one of the most serious (since Frey put himself at risk of treason by allying with Robb and letting them cross his bridge). And breaching "guest right" is a huge "no" in Westeros.
What insult was missing? The TV version of Frey makes it quite clear that the Tullys refused to show up to his last wedding and that there was no love lost there. Cat also provided a possible reason why: he was late to the Blackwater. He was definitely pissed at them as shown in his first appearance. The one thing that wasn't shown, Frey's reasons for hating Tywin, was still hinted at. When Cat realizes that Robb is going to marry Talia she points out Walder's nature and his problem with such a union as well.

But imo,the main issue was not that Robb had the gall to insult the Freys, it's that he did so while he was weak. Walder has been collecting grudges for decades, he's only ever gone overboard when he could get away with it.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Mr Bean wrote:
Vaporous wrote:
Also, Bolton's "The Lannisters send their regards" felt rushed.
It's supposed to be "Jamie Lannister sends his regards". It's a joke on his part since the last thing Jamie says to Bolton before leaving is "Give Robb Stark my regards".

So Roose Bolton (Trollton) makes a private joke of it "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" and then stabs Robb.
I know the context from the books. I just thought it wasn't shot as effectively as it could have been. As if the scene needed to be more gut wrenching. :D
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The way Cat cuts off her scream really sells that scene for me. Chilling. It's almost as if she died that instant and her throat being cut just made her body fall down. And that is what you call letting the moment fucking land. :lol:

Fucking christ.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Are there any other fresh eyes reviewing? I'd love to see a reaction similar to his own when Ned Stark died.
Its been recommended before - the whattheflick show on youtube. Same guys who do The Young Turks. Its far superior to Larry's reviews, which have gotten progressively worse and less interesting since Season 1. His perfunctory and whiny review this week is the icing on the cake of fail.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Scrib wrote:
Mr Bean wrote: Also for long time watchers Larry Williams of OtakuAssemble announced his last GoT video would be the season finale as he's giving up on the show. .
Well, I'm pretty sure that he had the series spoiled for him so I can understand his apathy.

There's a thread on reddit where people have made video captures of first time reactions.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Just saw the episode. That was fanfuckingtastic. I found everything pretty much without fault, though of course the Red Wedding didn't fit my "head canon", as it never could. I don't really have any point for point to say.

On an anal retentive note - who noticed that the Inn at the Crossroads is a location on the world map? We see it as the camera goes to the Twins.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Inn at the crossroads, is that where Robert Johnson teaches Blues Guitar to people tired of playing Rains of Castamere?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I'm really just drinking up the entire internet this morning.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Fire Fly wrote: There's a thread on reddit where people have made video captures of first time reactions.
Magnificent.
Its been recommended before - the whattheflick show on youtube. Same guys who do The Young Turks. Its far superior to Larry's reviews, which have gotten progressively worse and less interesting since Season 1. His perfunctory and whiny review this week is the icing on the cake of fail.
Oh thanks. Can't believe I forgot this, being subscribed to TYT.

So...50% drop in viewers or more :lol: ?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I doubt it. People are going to be wondering what the hell is going to happen now.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I doubt it. People are going to be wondering what the hell is going to happen now.
Yeah, that's why was a great move to have the Red Wedding in episode 9. If the audience had to wait a year to learn about the fallout, they'd just write it off in the interim and the ratings would tank in Season 4. I think next episode is going to be highest-rated of the season.

As for season 4, I expect they're going to drop a hint next week that indicate Joffrey's impending comeuppance, if only as an incentive to tune in next April.

Finally, enjoy this compilation of Red Wedding reaction videos: :D

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

It was done very, very well. I fucking loved this episode!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

/r/gameofthrones has been a fucking goldmine today. Example.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

One question: Was Orell not!Varamir Six-Skins?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Surlethe wrote:/r/gameofthrones has been a fucking goldmine today. Example.
Yeah.

This probably also works as a message to fans of the series. Though I like to think there is some hope in even the darkest parts.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Even though it suffers from Vertical Video Syndrome this has to be the most epic;

DID YOU THINK IT WOULD END GOOD?

:lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Just out of curiousity... did they sew Rob & GreyWind together, like they did in the book?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

LadyTevar wrote:Just out of curiousity... did they sew Rob & GreyWind together, like they did in the book?
Not in this episode.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man, Facebook here we come.

Seriously though, Robb was an idiot, Catelyn was a bitch, and the only ones I felt bad for were Talisa and the wolf.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I love the billy idol remake for the Red Wedding (Hey waldor CROSSBOW, it's a nice day for a Red Wedding)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin