More Editorial Hinjinks at DC Comics

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

More Editorial Hinjinks at DC Comics

Post by JME2 »

So, in the course of an afternoon, we've lost Andy Diggle on Action Comics and Joshua Fialkov on Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns.

What's notable is that both writers hadn't even started their runs and there was great advance publicity. Losing Diggle on Action Comics especially sucks; I was really looking forward to his take on Superman. I, Vampire has also been recommended to me and I was curious as to how Fialkov was going to write Atrocitus.

But this is only fueling the rumors that have been circulating since the New 52 began, that there's serious editorial mismanagement going on behind the scenes at DC. Between this, Gail Simone's firing, and other miscellaneous shit, I'm really getting worried at how DC's alienating and driving away experienced creators and young guns. Your total worth can't just be Geoff Johns, guys.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: More Editorial Hinjinks at DC Comics

Post by Steve »

There was an article some time back that mentioned how often the powers that be are treating their writers not as unique talent but as cogs in the machine, easily replaced or shifted around as desired.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

That does seems indicative of the current atmosphere.

It's no wonder Rucka, Waid, and so many others have jumped ship for Marvel or smaller companies or burned their bridges with DC.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Because Marvel never does stupid editorial things like split up marriages on whim.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Steve wrote:There was an article some time back that mentioned how often the powers that be are treating their writers not as unique talent but as cogs in the machine, easily replaced or shifted around as desired.
Dont forget what happened to "Young Justice" recently...
One of the most popular as well as well written DC animated shows in years, and they cancel it to bring back yet another version of "Teen Titans" which looks even more idiotic then the first.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crazedwraith wrote:Because Marvel never does stupid editorial things like split up marriages on whim.
True. The thing is, it's more public and glaring when DC does it. Maybe it's just symptomatic of the Didio-era.

But the stories of constantly changing directions and whims sounds damming. This kind of editorial mismanagement has cost them Waid, Rucka, Dixon, and others in recent years.

Also, Fialkov's weighed in on why he left the GL franchise before even starting:
There were editorial decisions about the direction of the book that conflicted with the story I was hired to tell, and I felt that it was better to let DC tell their story the way they want. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ll miss working with the entire Green Lantern team.This was not an easy decision to make emotionally or financially, but, I’m sure it was the right decision for both me, and for the Green Lantern books. The outpouring of support, your kind words and well wishes means so much to me and my family.
The rumor going around is that 'direction' amounted to DC ordering him to kill off John Stewart.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JME2 wrote:The rumor going around is that 'direction' amounted to DC ordering him to kill off John Stewart.
Why the fuck are they doing that?

Cheap shock factor that can only be achieved by killing off a major character (until they Get Better)?

Mad that he may or may not be more popular than Hal "One True Lantern" Jordan thanks to JL/JLU?

Those are the only two reasons I can imagine.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

You're not a real superhero until you've died and come back at least once.

Anyway, DC have never not been all about servicing their trademarks above all things with absolutely no regard for artistic quality. If you cared about the stories comic writers really wanted to tell you'd be buying creator owned titles that aren't franchise servicing.

Marvel are the same, of course, they just show it differently. In the '90s it was All Wolverine All The Time, and now it's Everyone Is Avengers, because that's what's popular in the media they're actually making money from.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

RogueIce wrote:
JME2 wrote:The rumor going around is that 'direction' amounted to DC ordering him to kill off John Stewart.
Why the fuck are they doing that?

Cheap shock factor that can only be achieved by killing off a major character (until they Get Better)?

Mad that he may or may not be more popular than Hal "One True Lantern" Jordan thanks to JL/JLU?

Those are the only two reasons I can imagine.
The rumors have been confirmed.

What worries me is that Fialkov's departure from the book is likely not going to change the editorial edict -- unless this kicks up enough of a shitstorm to reverse it (ala Gail Simone's termination, then rehiring).

And if this how DC editorial wants to run the post-Johns Green Lantern franchise, then I am further justified in ending my collected purchases once "Wrath of the First Lantern" finishes.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I suppose shooting the management of DC and handing the entire thing over to Team Timm is not an option.
And people wonder why I'm staying in the drawer.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Rumors are now circulating that DC's nixed the plot in response to the shitstorm this has generated.

The whole incident has also got prominent African American comics artist Jamal Igle pissed.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

How are social media jobs in SF proof of anything? :P
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Heh, my bad.

Here's the correct link.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

And now, the whole 'John Stewart Must Die" debacle has gotten bad enough that even Phil LaMarr, who voiced John for the DCAAU, has weighed in.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

DC talent/editorial are responding now. Love this quote GL/GLC writer Robert Venditti:
Van and I have never even contemplated killing John Stewart.
That's a bullshit answer because you didn't. But you don't say anything about DC editorial.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Staying in the drawer for the time being.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
mercury01
Redshirt

Post by mercury01 »

Vendetta wrote:Marvel are the same, of course, they just show it differently. In the '90s it was All Wolverine All The Time, and now it's Everyone Is Avengers, because that's what's popular in the media they're actually making money from.
Marvel managed to take Age of Ultron, a series that should have been about Hank Pym struggling against his greatest creation, and turned it into All Wolverine All The Time.

The only difference is that he's an Avenger now.