New Godzilla movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

ray245
Emperor's Hand

New Godzilla movie

Post by ray245 »

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... -godzilla/
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today the final principal cast for the upcoming tent pole GODZILLA. Aaron Taylor-Johnson (KICK-ASS), Ken Watanabe (INCEPTION), Elizabeth Olsen (MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE), and Juliette Binoche (THE ENGLISH PATIENT) are starring in the film, with David Strathairn (LINCOLN) and Bryan Cranston (BREAKING BAD).

The companies also announced that principal photography began today on location in Vancouver.

Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont (THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION) and Dave Callaham (THE EXPENDABLES). Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher are serving as executive producers alongside Yoshimitsu Banno (GODZILLA VS HEDORAH) and Kenji Okuhira.

A presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, GODZILLA will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, except in Japan, where it will be distributed by Toho Co., Ltd. Legendary Pictures is a division of Legendary Entertainment.

Slated to open on May 16, 2014, the film is expected to be presented in 3D.
A good cast and a decent director? Let's hope this movie will entertain.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Godzilla movie

Post by Stark »

The only relevant question is if the Japanese guys can train the Americans to make an actual monster movie.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I never did see Darabonts 'The Mist', but that's a kind of monster movie I suppose. I heard good things. I don't like Thomas Jane.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Nerds hated the Mist but it was pretty good. Not what you'd want in a Godzilla film tho - no flying battleships or time traveling aliens.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I actually liked the Mist.

But yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about it. That said, I'm expecting nothing more than a decent monster movie that remembers the core principles of Godzilla.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The monsters and spooky bits of The Mist were fine. I only got annoyed with some of the human characters, and I might have enjoyed the movie more if there hadn't been quite so much focus on the human group dynamics going down the shitter. I never read the novella it was based on but the movie felt like it must have been faithful, at least in spirit, to what Stephen King wrote.

I'm optimistic about this Godzilla movie. I read a quote somewhere about them wanting it to be a monster movie and that they weren't going to be spending a lot of time explaining the science. I took that to mean that they weren't going to make the mistake of the first Hulk movie and spend a lot of time (and money) trying to come up with a complicated reason to explain the subject of the movie's existence.

Plus, the little bit of concept art that has been put out has Godzilla looking much more like Godzilla than the 1998 movie did. Perhaps a bit too spiky and kind of reminiscent of Space Godzilla in some ways but still more like Godzilla.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

fixed.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Yeah, Gareth Edwards is the guy who directed the movie "Monsters" which was released in 2010 or so. The titular monsters were more suggested than they were shown during the course of the movie but when they did show up they were cool.

"Monsters" was also a decent character study.
Sig.
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

I'm a big Godzilla's fan, I own all the movies, and even watched those I don't have english subtitles for.

That said, I also loved The Mist. Mainly because of how the ending was well done. Once in a while, a bad finish makes that much bigger of an impact.

For an American Godzilla movie to be successful, all they really need to do, is remember, Godzilla is the main character, fuck the supporting cast, they are only there to emphasize the power of the big grey machine (Godzilla is not green btw).

So, as long as they make it very monster smash, and light on the character plot, and the story focuses on the big G, then everything should be good. I don't really care about anything but that for a good Godzilla movie.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Also flying battleships or at least one laser freeze gun. If it's not cheesy it's clover field and nobody wants that.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Stark wrote:Nerds hated the Mist but it was pretty good. Not what you'd want in a Godzilla film tho - no flying battleships or time traveling aliens.
What was there to hate? What was the nerd rage about? A purist might reject the changed ending but it thematically fit with the story and King thought it was better than the one he wrote. Even if the ending was crap (which it wasn't) the rest of the film was downright faithful.

The Mist had a crystal clear concept of the kind of movie it was supposed to be and accomplished it in spades.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

People disliked it because a) people did silly, foolish, ignorant or poorly-thought out things and b) 'smart' behaviour was not rewarded enough or 'stupid' behaviour punished enough. When people just want to see media that shows smart, rational people nerds might identify with being correct, a movie about how thin the veneer of civilisation is and how people react to being cut off from their pillars of stability is not well-received.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Stark wrote:People disliked it because a) people did silly, foolish, ignorant or poorly-thought out things and b) 'smart' behaviour was not rewarded enough or 'stupid' behaviour punished enough. When people just want to see media that shows smart, rational people nerds might identify with being correct, a movie about how thin the veneer of civilisation is and how people react to being cut off from their pillars of stability is not well-received.
Their loss. It actually stuck to realism quite faithfully in the way people made the best decisions they could in a bad situation beyond anything they were equipped to deal with. What I loved is that our protagonist was the level-headed everyman who said and did sensible things and it still turned to shit. He's the guy we identified with, the guy we would want to be in such a situation, not like those other people who couldn't keep it together. And he still failed in every possible way. The audience tends to divide up survivors in these films into sheep and wolves, guessing who is strong enough to survive. And the movie just says no, nobody does, don't feel like such a hypothetical tough guy.

What springs to mind is a character from the Land of the Dead, the guy with the skateboard and headphones. As I recall he wasn't supposed to be a dumb civilian but a mook who knew how to deal with the dead. Oh, and he gets killed by a zombie he doesn't hear coming up on him because he's listening to music in an area that he damn well knew could have zombies. Now THAT is the sort of thing that doesn't make any sense. How did he survive so long being so dumb?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Is this rubber suit Godzilla or Ferris Buller's Sex in the City Godzilla?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Given that this film seems to be a big budget serious take on Godzilla, I highly doubt we will ever see rubber suits again in a Godzilla movie. I really wonder how the Director and the writers can further explore the Godzilla franchise beyond giving us the monster fights.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think he's asking if Godzilla will be a big guy with spines and laser breath or a big dinosaur, genius.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Stark wrote:I think he's asking if Godzilla will be a big guy with spines and laser breath or a big dinosaur, genius.
Seems like the Japanese Godzilla. The director and the production company both want to move away from the 1998 American Godzilla film.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Stark wrote:I think he's asking if Godzilla will be a big guy with spines and laser breath or a big dinosaur, genius.
Wait, isn't Godzilla an irradiated cross between a T-Rex and a Stegosaurus or some dumb shit?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Well yeah. You lose the whole point if he's not breathing nuclear fire on people.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Well, no. A car exploded while Godzilla was breathing and it sprayed some fire at Ferris Bueller.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Flagg wrote:Wait, isn't Godzilla an irradiated cross between a T-Rex and a Stegosaurus or some dumb shit?
In Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991 or 92, I think) the characters find out he was a mutated Godzillasaurus - basically a T-Rex-like dinosaur with very small Godzilla-like spines on his back. The Showa era movies were a bit vague on what nuclear power had to do with Godzilla, so if I remember correctly they never said exactly whether Godzilla was awakened by atomic tests, mutated, or just happened to be radioactive.

I've read before that this new Godzilla movie is supposed to be realistic and show what an attack by a giant monster might look like.
Sig.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, I've seen that movie. It was called 'Cloverfield'.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw