Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Marvel.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Marvel.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

What would a crossover between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Marvel Universe or any of the adaptations of it be like?

How would Marvel characters and groups such as SHIELD, the Avengers, and Doctor Strange react to the Hellmouth and all the times the world almost ended in Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Would Buffy join a group of super heros like the Avengers, or would she have her own team, or would she do both?

How powerful are Buffy and her friends compared to various Marvel characters?

Who do you think Buffy would side with on the major political issues of the Marvel Universe such as mutants or the Superhuman Registration Act?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Marvel.

Post by Majin Gojira »

They already have an analogue to her, Elsa Bloodstone. But let's run with it.

Well, she'd have to be upped a bit to deal with Marvel style vampires. She's pretty good, but not on that level of power.

Using the old Marvel Universe Stats:

Intelligence: 2 (Normal)
Strength: 4 (800 pounds to 25 tons) - Marvel Dracula is the most powerful vampire and able to lift 4 tons. by the Buffy RPG's standard, Buffy can maybe lift 1 ton. For Marvel, she'd be upped to 2 easily.
Speed: 3 (Superhuman) Buffy in the show could keep up with moving vehicles, I believe I clocked one on screen appearance in Season at most being 55 miles per hour (dropping as low as 28 depending on the scenes). In Comics, it would be upped to something a bit more, but not up to Spider-Man agility.
Durability: 3 or 4. Buffy does regenerate, but slowly. She's very resistant to blunt damage, but can still have her skin pierced easily.
Energy Projection: 1 (none). Self Explanatory.
Fighting Skills: 4 (Experienced Figther). She might get some basic mastery, but that's unknown. So let's air on the side off caution.

These match up well with Elsa Bloodstone, by the way, except having higher Speed.

So, yeah, not unremarkable, but fits in without incident.
How would Marvel characters and groups such as SHIELD, the Avengers, and Doctor Strange react to the Hellmouth and all the times the world almost ended in Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Hellmouth might be compared to the Nexus of Worlds from Manthing. Strange would mark it as a curiosity and something of value/importance, but it would be one of many. Same with the Slayer.

The others would note her existence, but largely leave her be.
Would Buffy join a group of super heroes like the Avengers, or would she have her own team, or would she do both?
A lot of it depends on what point in time Buffy enters the Marvel Universe. IE: at what point do we first meet her in the Marvel U?

If we go to the beginning, the very beginning (Movie Script, Seasons 1 through 3), then she's a teenaged hero. That's not a good place to be, overall in Marvel at the moment, but it is one of my favorite places and is considered the primary "Classic" era of Buffy. She'd be in California, which was recently home to another super hero penned by Joss Whedon: the Runaways. They are more from the LA/Malibu area, but it's the same general local.

They would be wary to say the least. They don't trust easily and while they appreciate the help and have no love for vampires themselves, they aren't going to do many team ups without reason. They focus on Supervillains, the Slayer on demons.

California also home to the Avengers Academy, a 'school' where super heroes are trained. Most of which have powers which are the core definition of "Blessed with Suck", before other marvel teen heroes started to show there and it went from "One Class" to "open door policy".

Hank Pym, the school runner (Yeah, that's a recipe for success) is open and understanding, but he's a man of science. If she's found out (and given the Sunnydale Conspiracy, that may take a while), he'd ask her to join or at least come and hang out with other super human teens of 'her generation'. Early Buffy might like the idea of not being alone on a larger scale, but it may strain the friendship she has back in Sunnydale. Good drama potential.

Finally, there would be the Atlas Foundation: superhuman secret society that appears evil, but really isn't. It's very much a throwback to 50s style thinking.

Contemporaries would include: The Runaways (Nico Minoru, Karolina Dean, Chase Stein, Xavin, Molly Hayes, Klara Prast, Victor Mancha), Avengers Academy's first class (Mettle, Hazmat, Striker, Veil, Finesse, Reptil, X-23, White Tiger (Ava)), Lyra the Savage She-Hulk, Spider-Girl, Julie and Alex Power of Power Pack, Power-Man, Amadeus Cho, the New X-Men generation (from Dust, Hellion, mercury and Surge through Armor and Blindfold, to Hope and Transonic to the newest crop which includes a were-shark -- there's a lot of X-Men), and The Young Avengers (Wiccan, Hulkling, Patriot, Stature, Hawkeye, Speed, Noh-Varr, Ms. America, Loki).

And there are more I haven't mentioned.

If she's grouped in with heroes from the same time she was created, she's in original New Warriors level. They are disbanded and the only remnants of which are either solo-ing or hanging off Avengers: the Initiative or Avengers Academy. Her contemporaries would include

Contemporaries would include: Justice, Speedball, Firestar, Turbo, Darkhawk, Rage, Slapstick, Ultra Girl, Namorita, several AvengersL The Initiative students (Hardball, Komodo, Cloud 9), etc.

If it goes to Season 8, we have Buffy base din England, which would put her into contact or conflict with MI-13 and Captain Britain/Excalibur.

As to joining a pre-exisitng team, I don't know. She's too stubborn to not be in charge of these things and has never really taken orders well. I'm sure someone could earn her respect, but with the contemporaries she has to work with?

Yeah, not many are rising to the task.

Would she be made an Avenger? Maybe, but I doubt it. She's on the same group level as Blade. He eventually did work on a team, MI-13, but not for the longest time.

If we go or Season 8 and such, she would have her own team.

I should also mention that Joss answered "Who would win in a fight: Buffy or Black Widow" Because why not?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Your knowledge of Marvel is clearly greater than mine (I have some knowledge of the comics, but I am most familiar with the films).

I didn't realize their was a Buffy-like character in Marvel already, but its not really surprising. Pretty much everything seems to show up in Marvel, and a lot of Buffy would fit in the Marvel Universe.

I'm not really surprised that the Marvel vampires are stronger. Comic books often make things absurdly powerful. I wonder how the Turok-Han would do against Marvel vampires. They're stronger than the regular vampires in Buffy the Vampire Slayer but I'm not sure how much stronger they are.

Whedon's take on Buffy vs. Black Widow is interesting. I agree Buffy would probably win, since as far as I know Black Widow isn't very superhuman, but I wonder if Black Widow would win due to being more skilled. However, Whedon's probably the most qualified person to give a definitive answer on this question.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's just fucking Blade with menstrual cramps.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I take it you don't like Buffy, Havok.

I'm not familiar enough with Blade to know weather its really similar to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm far too busy to spend the night looking up Blade on Google. So I'll let you have this one for now.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:It's just fucking Blade with menstrual cramps.

I was thinking Blade with EMO bullshit but same diff.

"I don't want to have super powers. I just want to be a normal dumb assed cheerleader who dates and shops and shit".

In the later years the only time I didn't mind Buffy's whining was the year her friends ripped her out of heaven. The rest of the time it was, "shut the fuck up already. Yes it sucks that you essentially have an unpaid, secret, dangerous, after school job but stop whining about it all the damn time, and why the fuck haven't you told your mom yet ?".

Anyway, by the end of Angel, Buffy was supposedly stronger than Angel was so she would probably be stronger than most of the typical Marvel vampires, and possibly stronger than Blade. Of course Blade sucked ass and was only immune to the bite of a vampire until after the movies cooled him up a bit. No super daywalker powers until the movies.

I bet they'd just love her at Avengers Academy. It'd be nice to see her realize that she's with people who are around her own age, or younger, who are more (way) powerful (many), or have had even shittier, more dangerous lives (X23). It'd probably be good for her and she could find some good friends and allies.

This gets me to wondering if maybe Willow could end up at the Academy as well or maybe getting some tutoring or even an apprenticship from one of the established Marvel magic users.

It might suck for Xander. He might be able to get on with a real life or I could see him being part of the support staff at the academy. He has a lot of experience in "of fuck" type shitty situations, knows there's weird shit out there, and has some skills (carpentry, building) that could make him useful on the Avengers compound.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Whedon's take on Buffy vs. Black Widow is interesting. I agree Buffy would probably win, since as far as I know Black Widow isn't very superhuman, but I wonder if Black Widow would win due to being more skilled. However, Whedon's probably the most qualified person to give a definitive answer on this question.
In the comics, Black Widow is a recipient of a few super serums. Shes a lot older than she looks, and has enhanced physical abilities, but still within human limits. A low end, but longer-lived Captain America.

But Russian.
Tsyroc wrote:In the later years the only time I didn't mind Buffy's whining was the year her friends ripped her out of heaven. The rest of the time it was, "shut the fuck up already. Yes it sucks that you essentially have an unpaid, secret, dangerous, after school job but stop whining about it all the damn time, and why the fuck haven't you told your mom yet ?".
Actually, that was revealed at the end of Season 2.

Her mom was dead from cancer 3 seasons later.
I bet they'd just love her at Avengers Academy. It'd be nice to see her realize that she's with people who are around her own age, or younger, who are more (way) powerful (many), or have had even shittier, more dangerous lives (X23). It'd probably be good for her and she could find some good friends and allies.
Urge to write Fanfic rising . . . Mid Season 3, Post the "Final Exam" arc or at least post Runaways crossover might work best. Willow has magic dabbling, Oz and Faith are around, etc.
This gets me to wondering if maybe Willow could end up at the Academy as well or maybe getting some tutoring or even an apprenticship from one of the established Marvel magic users.
I've been waiting for a series from Marvel like that for a forever. I mean, it writes itself. Doctor Strange having trouble training Wiccan (Young Avengers), Nico Minoru (Runaways) and a third to round things out.
It might suck for Xander. He might be able to get on with a real life or I could see him being part of the support staff at the academy. He has a lot of experience in "of fuck" type shitty situations, knows there's weird shit out there, and has some skills (carpentry, building) that could make him useful on the Avengers compound.
Actually, there's a few normal human types he can pal around with. Juston Seyfert and Chase Stein come immediately to mind.

The antics Xander, Juston and Chase could get into are almost limitless.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I was thinking Blade with EMO bullshit but same diff.

"I don't want to have super powers. I just want to be a normal dumb assed cheerleader who dates and shops and shit".

In the later years the only time I didn't mind Buffy's whining was the year her friends ripped her out of heaven. The rest of the time it was, "shut the fuck up already. Yes it sucks that you essentially have an unpaid, secret, dangerous, after school job but stop whining about it all the damn time, and why the fuck haven't you told your mom yet ?".
It doesn't really bother me.

As you've admitted, her life sucks, and I suspect most people would bitch about it too (especially teenagers). I know I would (or, more likely, I'd be hiding in fear and sobbing). To label her emo simply for having normal emotions is stupid.

I kind of wish she'd told her mother sooner, but I can see why she'd keep it secret, since a parent might try to stop her from being the slayer.
Anyway, by the end of Angel, Buffy was supposedly stronger than Angel was so she would probably be stronger than most of the typical Marvel vampires, and possibly stronger than Blade. Of course Blade sucked ass and was only immune to the bite of a vampire until after the movies cooled him up a bit. No super daywalker powers until the movies.

I agree that being with super heros her age would be good for Buffy. But why would that suck for Xander?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I agree that being with super heros her age would be good for Buffy. But why would that suck for Xander?
Xander is the token normal/viewpoint character. He had an episode dedicated to him in Season 3 which explored the idea of him feeling inadequate amidst two slayers, a werewolf, a watcher and a budding witch and tried to reinvent himself.

And ended up saving all his friends via guile.

I imagine, if set at the right time, it wouild make him feel more inadequate.

But that episode I mentioned, "The Zeppo", had him get over it. A lot of fans harp on the idea and go way to far with it.
Browncoat

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I take it you don't like Buffy, Havok.

I'm not familiar enough with Blade to know weather its really similar to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm far too busy to spend the night looking up Blade on Google. So I'll let you have this one for now.
No, I liked Buffy a lot actually. It's just that Marvel has been doing a vampire hunter for oh going on 40+ years now with Blade. It's actually old hat to them.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Havok wrote:

No, I liked Buffy a lot actually. It's just that Marvel has been doing a vampire hunter for oh going on 40+ years now with Blade. It's actually old hat to them.
Blade actually turns 40 this year. This July in fact.
Browncoat

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ooo good guesstimate on my part then. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Romulan Republic wrote: But why would that suck for Xander?
Mostly because he might end up being left behind while his friends go on to do their super hero thing. It would suck in that he wouldn't get to see them much.

Certainly there are scenarios where he could still be around plenty but after losing one eye he might be inclined to take it a bit easy.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Romulan Republic wrote: It doesn't really bother me.

As you've admitted, her life sucks, and I suspect most people would bitch about it too (especially teenagers). I know I would (or, more likely, I'd be hiding in fear and sobbing). To label her emo simply for having normal emotions is stupid.

I kind of wish she'd told her mother sooner, but I can see why she'd keep it secret, since a parent might try to stop her from being the slayer.
This is actually one of the drawbacks of watching shows on DVD. Yes, you get to OD on the greatness in marathons of viewing, but it can also emphasize certain elements of the shows (characters, stories etc...) that wouldn't be during a normal season long viewing schedule. The last couple of years Buffy was on I couldn't watch the show when it was broadcast so I ended up taping it and watching it later or waiting until the DVDs came out.

Even if she's perfectly normal in her situation she's still whiney and emo compared to Blade. :wink:

It's been a long time since I've actually watched any Buffy. I should probably go back and do so again.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Blade compensates by Brooding :wink:
Browncoat

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tsyroc wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: But why would that suck for Xander?
Mostly because he might end up being left behind while his friends go on to do their super hero thing. It would suck in that he wouldn't get to see them much.

Certainly there are scenarios where he could still be around plenty but after losing one eye he might be inclined to take it a bit easy.
I doubt it. From what I've seen, Xander would want to help and might even insist on it. For example, I remember him arguing with Buffy about staying for the final battle with the First Evil after he lost his eye. He doesn't seem like a quitter (other than that disastrous engagement).
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I doubt it. From what I've seen, Xander would want to help and might even insist on it. For example, I remember him arguing with Buffy about staying for the final battle with the First Evil after he lost his eye. He doesn't seem like a quitter (other than that disastrous engagement).
I think he'd stick around and be as involved as he could.

I just keep thinking of his character from a real world perspective where at some point the book Buffy is in would be written by someone who decided to ditch Xander. It seems to happen to all of the "sidekick" characters at some point, even the very firmly entrenched ones.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Havok wrote:

Marvel has done vigilantes, mad scientists, Nazis, power armour, aliens, magic, mythology, and God knows what else. What's left that isn't old hat?
Tsyroc wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: I doubt it. From what I've seen, Xander would want to help and might even insist on it. For example, I remember him arguing with Buffy about staying for the final battle with the First Evil after he lost his eye. He doesn't seem like a quitter (other than that disastrous engagement).
I think he'd stick around and be as involved as he could.

I just keep thinking of his character from a real world perspective where at some point the book Buffy is in would be written by someone who decided to ditch Xander. It seems to happen to all of the "sidekick" characters at some point, even the very firmly entrenched ones.
I haven't seen the whole show, but based on the parts I've seen, I doubt Xander would choose to leave.

If he did, I suspect it'd be in a coffin.

Of course, Marvel kills off a lot of characters, but so does Joss Whedon. :lol: