Help finding series for dad

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Help finding series for dad

Post by Darth Yan »

Earlier this year I got my dad the mistborn trilogy for his birthday, which he liked. As such, I feel that maybe getting him another book (either standalone or part of a series) might be a worthy christmas present.

Dad's read song of ice and fire and is annoyed by how things are starting to drag, and he was only mildly into dresden files. He also doesn't like ridiculously long series (so wheel of time and Malazan are probably out.) I want it to be something he'll really like so I was hoping that there were some recommendations on good book series that are either short, or ultimately maintain quality and don't drag to a grinding halt for a while (sorry GRRM, your a good writer but damn you need to move things along.)
Jerry the Vampire
Youngling

Re: Help finding series for dad

Post by Jerry the Vampire »

Has he read Discworld?
Astrophysicist and (extremely) part-time freelance web designer/programmer.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

That's not one i'm sure he'd be into. It's such a big world that I'm worried it might be "read other books to get full story."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Discworld, while excellent, is rather on the longish side these days and at least in the beginning left something to be desired (I'd argue the series didn't really find its rhythm until 'Guards, Guards') so there's the question of which book to pick to start him out on.
Never read Mistborn nor Ice and Fire so I don't know how well those would suit your father's taste, but a few short series I rather enjoyed were Mercedes Lackey's 'SERRAted Edge' and 'Bardic Voices', and Tanya Huff's 'Quarter' series (4, 5, and 4 books respectively).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jerry the Vampire
Youngling

Post by Jerry the Vampire »

Agreed. Personally, despite some background needed, most books are pretty self contained. It would be wise to start early in the series though.
Astrophysicist and (extremely) part-time freelance web designer/programmer.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Prince of Nothing?

A Wizard of Earthsea?

Dragonriders of Pern.

The First Book of Swords.

The Black Company.

I'm guessing here, and that just based on an apparent preference for fantasy. How involved are the Mistborn books, anyway?

EDIT: Perhaps Sabriel?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Darth Yan wrote:Earlier this year I got my dad the mistborn trilogy for his birthday, which he liked. As such, I feel that maybe getting him another book (either standalone or part of a series) might be a worthy christmas present.

Dad's read song of ice and fire and is annoyed by how things are starting to drag, and he was only mildly into dresden files. He also doesn't like ridiculously long series (so wheel of time and Malazan are probably out.) I want it to be something he'll really like so I was hoping that there were some recommendations on good book series that are either short, or ultimately maintain quality and don't drag to a grinding halt for a while (sorry GRRM, your a good writer but damn you need to move things along.)
How aboutThe Warded Man? I really enjoyed the first book a lot. The second book is not quite as good, being a middle book, and somehow darker. The third one is coming out soon.

For urbanish fantasy, Charles Stross's The Atrocity Archives is quite entertaining.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

If he liked Mistborn, he may like Warbreaker, which was also written by Sanderson and is a completely stand alone book. The Lies of Locke Lamora was pretty good, and I'd second the recommendation for the Warded Man as well, although it's going to be a 5 or 6 book series, so I don't know if he'll see that as dragging too. I also really liked the Night Angel Trilogy, as has everyone I've recommended it to.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

I really liked the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. The setting is very well developed and the "magic" system is very cool. The world this story is set on is has a higher than earth amount of tectonic activity. The most important consequence of that is the release of some weird energy source from the core called "Fae" which responds to human thought, from the directed carefully crafted spells, to the random musings of someone who doesn't think a steam engine should work, which will cause it to shut down randomly. The mechanics of when and how spells work are kind of cool. And the characters are very well done, it was a very satisfying read.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have to second The Black Company. One of the best series I have read in a long time, not dragging and very dark - plus one of the best angles at telling a fantasy story I have ever known.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Malivotti
Redshirt

Post by Malivotti »

I know you said he didn't like 'The Dresden Files' but what about 'Codex Alera' by Jim Butcher?

Elizabeth Moon's 'Deed of Paksenarrion' is one of my favourites.

John Ringo's 'Council Wars' might be good choice as well.

Steven Brust Jhereg books were a good read but the series might be a bit too long by now.

Just my $0.02.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks are good fantasy books I could recommend. They certainly do not drag, and have a swashbuckling feel to them.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'