Arthurian legend

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Arthurian legend

Post by Dominus Atheos »

How do I learn about it? Amazon.com has some dense public domain books written in Old English, but are there any readable versions available?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Arthurian legend

Post by Ahriman238 »

Only a thousand or so.

If you want it quick and simple, I'd say TH White's Sword in the Stone, or one of the following: King Arthur and his Knights, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, King Arthur and his Knights: selected tales. These are mostly kid's books, keeping the basic story while greatly simplifying the context. I'd particularly recommend Arthur and his Knights.

If you want more liberal adaptations, there's Sword of the Rightful King, the Road to Camlan, the Merlin Conspiracy, and I've heard good things about In the Court of King Arthur, but that may be getting back to the technical stuff you aren't interested in. The Winter King is a pretty good Arthurian myth in a modern setting story.

There's a 'historical' (meaning less fantastical/mythic) recent film called simply King Arthur. On the other end of the spectrum the BBCs recent show Merlin is as liberal an adaptation as I've encountered, with enough of the story to make fanboys of the myth squeal when a character or item appears.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It depends what you mean by 'Authurian legend'. The old stories are obviously readily available, but they changed and were changed by different cultures and times. I have a reference book in the library somewhere that explores common themes as they were shaped over time and how different elements of the myth were emphasised by different groups, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

On the other hand, the core elements of the story have been remixed and re-written by everyone from literary giants to absolute hacks, if you want to read some 'man gets stabbed and it is very sad' fiction. I've even read some hilarious 'realistic' 'historical' 'reimaginings' of the myth.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Such as?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Stark wrote:It depends what you mean by 'Authurian legend'. The old stories are obviously readily available, but they changed and were changed by different cultures and times. I have a reference book in the library somewhere that explores common themes as they were shaped over time and how different elements of the myth were emphasised by different groups, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.
This would be pretty cool.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Thanas wrote:Such as?
I'm thinking of a series that recast the drama in 535 and had shield walls galore and Cymru oh my. It's like that was supposed to improve the power of the narrative by being 'more' 'historically' 'accurate'.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Stark wrote:
I'm thinking of a series that recast the drama in 535 and had shield walls galore and Cymru oh my. It's like that was supposed to improve the power of the narrative by being 'more' 'historically' 'accurate'.
Oh lord, I remember two of those coming out in the last decade IIRC.

That said, for me the most 'faithful' of the retellings is Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail. Sure, it uses them as a springboard for comedy, but it's truer to the oldest material last time I checked.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Stark wrote:
The Warlord Chronicles, starting with The Winter King. http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... sNyIl7DlgC

I loved them, a good dense historical read. Knowing the legend before hand helps though.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ugh. That guy again.

There is a pretty decent one which placed it right in Chlodewigs time and is told from the perspective of a simple warrior. Can't remember the title though.....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

well, maybe I should have put 'historical' in quotation marks, but his version is a damn sight better then the branching around on a white horse with glittery armour version of the myth.*

* in his version Arthur does still do both, but in a cool 'historical' way
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

That's funny; I have the complete opposite reaction. I much prefer the knights in shining armour version of the myth than attempts at telling the 'truthiness' that 'historical' versions try to do.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I'm with Stofsk on this one. If you're going to tell a mythic story, tell a mythic story. I've never heard of anyone doing the Odyssey without gods and monsters. Ok, I lie. Joyce did it, but that was enforced by the style of writing he wanted to do, the story he wanted to tell.

If I'm going to read/watch King Arthur, let it be the Arthur of my childhood, with giants and dragons, fairies and sorceresses, kitchen boys who become knights, the whole thing. Most of all, have being a knight mean something, instead of being a slightly better armed thug with a title.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Chretian de Troyes' "Erec et Enide"

Composed 1170, this is the first known Arthurian Romance, a chanson du geste, and the first of Troyes' own Arthurian Cycle, which included Cliges; Yvain (The Knight with the Lion); Lancelot (The Knight of the Cart); and Perceval (the Story of the Grail)
Troyes' romances influenced many of the better known poets, such as Robert de Boron, Hartmann von Aue; each expounded on Troyes' vision of Arthur's Knights. "Mort Artu", Mallory's chief source for "Morte de Artur", borrowed much of Troyes' style and story.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

LadyTevar wrote:Chretian de Troyes' "Erec et Enide"

Composed 1170, this is the first known Arthurian Romance, a chanson du geste, and the first of Troyes' own Arthurian Cycle, which included Cliges; Yvain (The Knight with the Lion); Lancelot (The Knight of the Cart); and Perceval (the Story of the Grail)
Troyes' romances influenced many of the better known poets, such as Robert de Boron, Hartmann von Aue; each expounded on Troyes' vision of Arthur's Knights. "Mort Artu", Mallory's chief source for "Morte de Artur", borrowed much of Troyes' style and story.
Does a 12th Century text count as a readable version? I'm pretty sure the OP was looking for something in modern English at least, and perhaps a simpler version even there.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Ahriman238 wrote:

Does a 12th Century text count as a readable version? I'm pretty sure the OP was looking for something in modern English at least, and perhaps a simpler version even there.
>I linked to it above if you want to try. >Yes it is "readable".
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Spoonist wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:
>I linked to it above if you want to try.
>Yes it is "readable".
I'm sorry, I did not click the links, so I did not know that it was included.
Yes, Spoonist, it's been translated into English from Early French, and it's kept much of the rythym & rhyme of the original. The problem is that it was meant to be chanted/sang aloud, so I at least have trouble simply reading it like prose. For me, it's much more understandable when I read it aloud (much like Shakespeare), but that's me. I mentioned it merely because I am still fighting my way through it after it was gifted to me two years back. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet