Man Of Steel Trailer #2

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Man Of Steel Trailer #2

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Massive spaceships? Large energy beams cutting into the planet? Hm...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Man Of Steel Trailer #2

Post by Mr Bean »

Is it just me or Zod?
Have to say the first trailer was a sure fire "Catch it on DVD" pitch to me.
This second trailer... okay I'm interested it's another origin story bit but it's bleeding back into that "what if superheros were real" thing that the Avengers movies had going. To put that another way imagine something like the original 1980s Batman, was that a real world or a comic one? Likewise the rebooted Superman before this one, don't remember the name but it had Lex trying to sink America into the ocean. That was a comic world because not even crazy people would look at Super Hitler and say "gee I want to buy some property from that guy". In a comic book I buy it because hey comic books, evil villains have evil plans.

This one seems to be giving off the vibe of, what if we really did have the Man of Steel running around, never mind the aliens.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And...no S shield on the cape again. Not that I was particularly enamoured with the costume before, but why?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote:And...no S shield on the cape again. Not that I was particularly enamoured with the costume before, but why?
What difference would that inclusion make?
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

JLTucker wrote:
Batman wrote:And...no S shield on the cape again. Not that I was particularly enamoured with the costume before, but why?
Well, if you take Batman's post as an actual question ("why?), it's valid line of inquiry.

I think it'd be better with the emblem on the cape, because there are a lot of red capes in fiction, and the "S" emblem is a distinguishing mark. Its omission isn't as bad as, say, giving Superman green boots and making him blond, but it would be better if that emblem were there.

As to the question itself, I hypothesize that they wanted to make the costume simpler in general.. more solidly coloured areas?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I like the idea of not everyone just accepting that Clark is here to help, as we seemed to see in his appeal to Lois, the army pointing guns at him and leading him somewhere in cuffs.

I'd hoped this film wouldn't feel the need for a tedious origin story, but it seems not. Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Cykeisme wrote:
JLTucker wrote:What difference would that inclusion make?
Well, if you take Batman's post as an actual question ("why?), it's valid line of inquiry.

I think it'd be better with the emblem on the cape, because there are a lot of red capes in fiction, and the "S" emblem is a distinguishing mark. Its omission isn't as bad as, say, giving Superman green boots and making him blond, but it would be better if that emblem were there.

As to the question itself, I hypothesize that they wanted to make the costume simpler in general.. more solidly coloured areas?
Why would it be better if it were there? Would it immediately make the story better? Would it make Snyder's self indulgent direction easier to swallow? To be honest, this smells just like Potter nuts complaining about hair styles in the movie adaptations.

I, too, like what Ahirman described. If they can manage to keep these character moments of doubt and if Superman should stay, then I'm all for it. But if it goes the way of more action and less drama, I'll likely hate it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

JLTucker wrote:
It would make the cape look more like the traditional version. And Cyke got it, that was a genuine question. Why not have the cape shield?
It's a real Valendamned physical cape (one that seriously overcompensated for my one complaint over the Reeve suit, too), it's not like having the S shield would have been difficult. Superman I through IV managed, Lois&Clark had it, surely the 21st century has the technology to do the same, meaning they obviously intentionally decided not to have the shield, which brings us back to the original question-why did they do so?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Hold on a second - did Clark's dad just tell him that maybe it would have been better not to save a bus full of his schoolmates? If you're going to make a "What if Superman was real" movie, shouldn't that include having Papa Kent act like other characters aren't just disposable NPCs?

Oh, and Snyder continues his streak of awful costume design with this. Here's an idea: pick something that doesn't draw attention to his dick.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Grumman wrote:Hold on a second - did Clark's dad just tell him that maybe it would have been better not to save a bus full of his schoolmates? If you're going to make a "What if Superman was real" movie, shouldn't that include having Papa Kent act like other characters aren't just disposable NPCs?
Actually, no, it shouldn't. Or more accurately, it needn't. Sacrificing a busload of children half of which you don't know to begin with and half of the other half you hate because one of them threw a baseball though your window, that Ross boy you're sure once knifed your tires and let's not forget that Jonson brat keeps throwing stones at our cat to keep your son safe isn't at all far-fetched. Caring more about keeping Clark's secret than about saving those kids' lives may not be nice...but it's definitely realistic.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Because the shield on the cape looks crap and always has.
Grumman wrote:Hold on a second - did Clark's dad just tell him that maybe it would have been better not to save a bus full of his schoolmates? If you're going to make a "What if Superman was real" movie, shouldn't that include having Papa Kent act like other characters aren't just disposable NPCs?
Man it's only a snippet from the trailer, but it was clear that their conversation is about how people would treat him if they knew he had these superhuman powers and how saving the busload of kids wasn't without its consequences.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Man it's only a snippet from the trailer, but it was clear that their conversation is about how people would treat him if they knew he had these superhuman powers and how saving the busload of kids wasn't without its consequences.
I understand that, but I do not feel it justifies the response. It makes Pa Kent sound like the most unpleasable parent ever when his son saves a bus full of schoolchildren from drowning and he still can't act like that's a good thing.

It's like modern Trek's take on the Prime Directive. When you consider hiding your ability to save people from disasters more important than actually saving people from disasters, it's a pretty clear sign you're a jerk.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Grumman wrote: I understand that, but I do not feel it justifies the response. It makes Pa Kent sound like the most unpleasable parent ever when his son saves a bus full of schoolchildren from drowning and he still can't act like that's a good thing.

It's like modern Trek's take on the Prime Directive. When you consider hiding your ability to save people from disasters more important than actually saving people from disasters, it's a pretty clear sign you're a jerk.
Or just worried. Pa Kent always taught Clark to do what was right, but also knew he couldn't do so brazenly; he felt that what Clark was would be feared. I think if you were worried about G-Men taking your son away to study as a lab rat, then yeah, I can understand Pa's reaction in the trailer. Even if Clark did save a bus-load of kids doing it. If he is conflicted about that, then he is human.

As noted, this is a snippet from a trailer, and probably not the best edited. If the film has any sense there is more to that conversation. Personally, I was encouraged by this trailer.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Grumman wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:
I understand that, but I do not feel it justifies the response. It makes Pa Kent sound like the most unpleasable parent ever when his son saves a bus full of schoolchildren from drowning and he still can't act like that's a good thing.
I bet you $10 that the "maybe" is taken out of context and put in that order in the trailer to spark interest.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I hate you people. We finally get a Superman that looks like it won't completely suck and you clownshoes motherfuckers are bitching about there being no stupid shield on a cape? Do you idiots huff paint or what?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Next they'll complain about the fabric of the cape and the stitching of the outfit. :)

I watched the trailer without sound and I'm hoping this movie doesn't suck but then again I'm a Superman fan so any Superman movie would make me happy. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I don't care for the fabric itself, it looks too much like what they used in Spiderman, but unless he's dressed in hot pink what the fuck does it matter?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm just as wary and tired of Superman adaptations, but now I've interested. Not enough to outright see it, but I am now genuinely curious.
Tomzilla
Youngling

Post by Tomzilla »

Not to sound biased, but I'm a huge fan of the Superman character. So when I saw this trailer for the first time, I cheered. I'm a fan of Zack Snyder's previous work (Watchmen, a truly underrated film, is one of the best comic book adaptions I've ever seen), so I've trusted his direction from the start. This trailer lends credence to that trust. It's still too early to tell whether or not this is going to be a good film. So far, so good.

I don't care if there's no 'S' on his cape. They've already made huge revamps to the costume. I'm more interested in seeing what changes they've made to the character. One reason why many criticize Superman is because he's a boyscout. Many moviegoers and comic book fans alike think he's uninteresting. Even though I'm in complete disagreement, I understand where the criticisms are coming from. The other main criticism is his power level. "He's too powerful!" This is, sadly, true. Now it's difficult to find a good balance for the Superman character. You can't have him weak otherwise he's not really Superman. But you can't have him being ridiculously powerful, otherwise there's no suspense to the story. That's probably why they went with General Zod. Pit Superman against another powerful foe and most of us won't care if they're too strong or not.

I like what I see!

Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, and Thor: The Dark World will make this a good superhero year.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

I think the last Superhero trailer that made me this interested was The Dark Knight's. I think this looks really cool and since Zack Snyder is in charge of the direction and not the script I have very high hopes for it. Not everyone enjoys his style but I sure as hell do.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I don't know if it was on purpose, but to me this superman looks more alien than previous ones. Kind of vulcan like.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Tomzilla wrote:I don't care if there's no 'S' on his cape. They've already made huge revamps to the costume. I'm more interested in seeing what changes they've made to the character. One reason why many criticize Superman is because he's a boyscout. Many moviegoers and comic book fans alike think he's uninteresting. Even though I'm in complete disagreement, I understand where the criticisms are coming from. The other main criticism is his power level. "He's too powerful!" This is, sadly, true. Now it's difficult to find a good balance for the Superman character. You can't have him weak otherwise he's not really Superman. But you can't have him being ridiculously powerful, otherwise there's no suspense to the story. That's probably why they went with General Zod. Pit Superman against another powerful foe and most of us won't care if they're too strong or not.
One solution is to put him into situations where all of his powers aren't enough on their own. Maybe give him some actual moral dilemmas he has to resolve and come to terms with. Make him a one-trick pony that doesn't do anything but pound his enemies into a pulp and he gets boring.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Timmverse dialed Clark down to levels where chemical explosives could actually if not seriously hurt then at least not inconsiderably inconvenience him which is a far cry from comics Superman and that iteration was generally well received from all I can tell. Superman doesn't have to be 'RAR I can shove around planets even under a red sun' powerful, it suffices for him to be 'OK, we're screwed'/'This might turn out to be work afterall' powerful, which is easily achieved by also not making his enemies that ludicrously powerful. Clark can be impervious to street crime and still be in danger from ordinary (for the DC Universe at any rate) Earth tech without being able to deal with a 20MT warhead going off in his left ear by saying 'Gesundheit' and carrying on.
And some of us care about the costumes, you know. :P
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

General Zod wrote: One solution is to put him into situations where all of his powers aren't enough on their own. Maybe give him some actual moral dilemmas he has to resolve and come to terms with. Make him a one-trick pony that doesn't do anything but pound his enemies into a pulp and he gets boring.
Well, giving GENERAL Zod an actual army to conquer Earth rather than two underlings would be sufficient to seriously challenge Superman.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Isn't just Zod about as powerful as Superman? They're both from Krypton right?

Speaking of Zod, he's my favourite Superman villain and I'd like to see him in a new film.