My Little Pony : Second Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

Re: My Little Pony : Second Thread

Post by RogueIce »

So a quick, less than a minute preview for tomorrow's Scootaloo episode (about damn time that filly got her own episode!) has hit YouTube.

LINK (spoilers obviously)
Spoiler
Who was that I saw at 0:46? OMG OMG OMG *squeeee*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That was an awesome Luna episode! :mrgreen:

Oh, and Scootaloo wasn't half bad, either. :wink:

I really liked it, and not just for invoking my Luna fanboyism. It actually moved along Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's relationship, which was awesome. I hope to see more of that little orange filly and her new big sis.

And I gotta admit, how cool would it be to have the Princess of the Night come in and save you from your nightmares? When was the last time Celestia stepped in and helped a pony out? Plus her words through the moon to face her fear...y'know, Luna makes for an awesome mentor.

But I'm not supposed to be gushing over Luna, am I? Oh well.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

RogueIce wrote:
But I'm not supposed to be gushing over Luna, am I? Oh well.
Your right maybe you should shown your Luna appreciation with another sig picture. OAN apparently the fandom has grown to the point that each episode racks up at least ten pieces of original music and a thousand bits of fanart per episode in the first twenty four hours after an episode airs.

No word on the number of fanfics per episode aside from "a fuck-ton".
Current fan theories are running wild, is Luna Freddie Kruger? A Wheel of Time Dreamer? The Ruler of Dreamscape? And does she drop in on everyone's dreams or is Scoots special in some way?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Sccooootallooo flew! O, with Rainbow Dash supporting her. But Scoots flew! Yaay!

I'm amused we finally got a Scootaloo episode and still no word on her familly or backstory or anything. Pretty obviously she's an only child but she must have like parents or something right?

Oh and Luna is now Pony protector of dreams. Coolio. I still say her voice changes with every appearence.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

linky for those without tv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2_Opop50Q

I'm going with the theory that the oldenpony/headless horse are real threats inside the MLP dreamworld, else why would personal attention from Luna be neccesary?

The other option is that nightmares are so rare in Equestria that Luna can actually monitor and control them. This must have been a very dark time under Nightmare Moon.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:I still say her voice changes with every appearence.
Possibly true, though they're similar enough for me. I think I like the tone she had here though; it was a good mix between casual and formal. Much more like how Celestia usually speaks, actually. I like to think of that as character development, Luna is becoming more and more comfortable in modern Equestria.

And in the meta sense of Tabitha St. Germain getting more comfortable in the Luna role as well, I suppose.
madd0ct0r wrote:The other option is that nightmares are so rare in Equestria that Luna can actually monitor and control them.
I like this theory. I like this theory a lot.

Speaking of theories, it is my headcanon that the reason Rainbow Dash seemed to be able to find Scootaloo when she went over the waterfall out of seemingly nowhere had everything to do with Luna. I mean just look at how prominently the moon was being featured when Scoots was hanging on to that branch, when she went over the falls, and especially as the two pegasi flew up and away. And then Luna was right there to tell Scoots it was time for her to face her true fears.

Yep. Scoots scared herself into running, but that's okay: the Princess of the Night was watching out for her: "As always, I will guard the night." Luna is Best Princess.
Crazedwraith wrote:I'm amused we finally got a Scootaloo episode and still no word on her familly or backstory or anything. Pretty obviously she's an only child but she must have like parents or something right?
Probably. And I'm sure she has parents somewhere. Much like I'm guessing Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have parents somewhere, we just haven't had a reason to see them.

Speaking of families, I wonder if the reason people question the Apple family so much is that we've seen Granny Smith, and (most importantly) she also lives at Sweet Apple Acres with AJ, Big Mac and little Bloom. So there's a generational gap that leaves the question about why AJ's parents (and Granny Smith's son or daughter, whichever side of the family she's on) aren't there as well. With RD, Scoots, Fluttershy and any other pony we haven't seen family for, we can just assume they exist offscreen and haven't shown up yet.

TBH if it weren't for Granny Smith living on the farm I don't think people would be so curious about AJ's parents: we could just assume that Sweet Apple Acres is where their generation happens to live and the others are all off...well somewhere else. Possibly reinforced by Apple Bloom living there as well; if we hadn't seen her room she could've just as easily been living with her parents off-screen the way Sweetie Belle clearly does.

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

This episode is either completely invalidated by Season 1, and it was just all a dream, or it just blew up canon sky high. If Luna can just visit dreams, why she felt angry ponies sleep enough to turn into NightMare Moon? It makes no sense whatsoever. Just give them dream of your night, only better, no cold, you can add special effects, too.

Also, this episode suggests for thousand years ponies were plagued by horrible nightmares no one could defeat or run away from if we take it at face value. Did the show just changed to My Little Warhammer? Sleep for the Sleep God?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Irbis wrote:This episode is either completely invalidated by Season 1, and it was just all a dream, or it just blew up canon sky high. If Luna can just visit dreams, why she felt angry ponies sleep enough to turn into NightMare Moon? It makes no sense whatsoever. Just give them dream of your night, only better, no cold, you can add special effects, too.
One you assume there was no outside agency to NightMare Moon which is something Faust has implied and the show runners might show some day. That the transformation to Nightmare Moon was just Luna saying "I'm going to be a evil bastard tonight, mwhahahha".

Second that Luna kept up her dream duties while she was hating common ponies.
Irbis wrote: Also, this episode suggests for thousand years ponies were plagued by horrible nightmares no one could defeat or run away from if we take it at face value. Did the show just changed to My Little Warhammer? Sleep for the Sleep God?
Nightmare Moon was sealed within the moon she was not active in those thousand years.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

he means if one of Luna's job's is to defeat nightmares (or empower ponies to do so), then with her locked in the moon, there was no-one to keep the nightmare population down. Of course, with the scariest thing around at the time locked in the moon, and Celestia Balancing day and night there might not have been many true nightghasts able to take hold.

It really comes down to where Scoot was having a bad dream becuase of the campfire stories, or if that was just an opening for 'real' dream monsters to come in. Since the episode HEAVILY hints that Luna was also talking to Rainbow Dash and even brought her across into Scoot's dream, that seems to hint that the thing behind the dreams was real ( there's a subrace of pony-things that feed on love, why not one for fear?).

On the other hand, the oldenpony gives up pretty easily in the end, and Luna states they are CAUSED by Scootaloo's own fear. Maybe I'm overthinking this.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Mr Bean wrote:One you assume there was no outside agency to NightMare Moon which is something Faust has implied and the show runners might show some day. That the transformation to Nightmare Moon was just Luna saying "I'm going to be a evil bastard tonight, mwhahahha".
There might have been outside agency, but very first words of the series state: But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. That sounds like Luna was angry they dare to sleep, when she could just socialize with them in dreams. Doesn't that just add benefit of being able to instantly reshape world to what you want it, or even if you can't, being able to visit thousands of different, wonderful worlds at a whim? If there is anyone who should be resentful, it's Celestia.

Well, unless the business when like this :wink:
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

madd0ct0r wrote:On the other hand, the oldenpony gives up pretty easily in the end, and Luna states they are CAUSED by Scootaloo's own fear. Maybe I'm overthinking this.
I think you're overdoing it.

Dash shows up in the last dream to show that there's now a bond between her and Scootaloo that didn't exist before. She's now the big sister Scoots always wanted to watch out for her, and her psyche reflects that change.
The other option is that nightmares are so rare in Equestria that Luna can actually monitor and control them.
I think this is a good explanation. Equestria being what it is (even aside the setting for a kid's show) it's not hard to imagine that most ponies' dreams are good dreams, and nightmares are rare.
Speaking of theories, it is my headcanon that the reason Rainbow Dash seemed to be able to find Scootaloo when she went over the waterfall out of seemingly nowhere had everything to do with Luna. I mean just look at how prominently the moon was being featured when Scoots was hanging on to that branch, when she went over the falls, and especially as the two pegasi flew up and away. And then Luna was right there to tell Scoots it was time for her to face her true fears.
I don't think this is necessarily true. One of the episode's big themes is having Scootaloo overcome her biggest fear, and as Luna points out, it's not really being afraid of the forest or things that go bump in the night that's got her all a wreck - what really terrifies Scoots is the idea that she might crack in front of Rainbow Dash, that Dash might see her as less then perfect and thus, unworthy of the sisterhood Scoots wants more than anything.

I think this might be why the writers worked Luna into the plot. Scoots spends the episode working so damn hard to put up a wall around herself so that nobody notices her weakness (though AJ gets suspicious) because of this terror of failing Dash. She can't trust the other fillies or AJ or Rarity because they're all part of the same circle, and if any of them noticed her fear they might spill it to Dash. But Luna is someone she can't wall off - Luna can see eveything about her, right down to her deepest fear, and there's no hiding from her.

However, the converse of this is that Luna is sort of an outside-context problem. She's far removed from Scoots' social circle, so Luna can do what the others can't - she can see Scoots' fears and advise her on them without threatening to spill her to Dash. This way, the big moment of the episode is all on Scoots' shoulders - she, herself, overcomes her biggest fear and admits to Dash that she's not perfect. You could still solve the problem by involving someone else with telling Dash, or helping Scootaloo, but that would be taking some of the empowerment away from her. It's sort of an "I can show you the door, but you have to walk through it." kind of thing.
This episode is either completely invalidated by Season 1, and it was just all a dream, or it just blew up canon sky high. If Luna can just visit dreams, why she felt angry ponies sleep enough to turn into NightMare Moon? It makes no sense whatsoever. Just give them dream of your night, only better, no cold, you can add special effects, too.
I think it's safe to presume that Luna now is mellowed out compared to Luna of yesteryear. She's made friends, learned to speak normally rather than in royal fashion. Remember that moment in the Halloween episode when she started to flip out and ordered Nightmare Night canceled? It's not hard to imagine old-school Luna raging out over nobody enjoying the true night as opposed to sleeping and dreaming. Instead of thinking of dreamwalking as caring for her friends, oldLuna might have considered it just another duty, another burden nobody appreciated.
JADAFETWA
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Another option is that nightmares are simply bad dreams, but they have an effect on ponies and the environment. In Equestria, things like love and friendship have actual magical force (also chaos and disharmony). It could well be that when ponies have fears and nightmares, that runs the risk of "polluting" the magical environment or whatever. Luna going into ponies dreams to eliminate nightmares and fear could be like her doing "Winter Wrap-up" or something, basically ensuring that things run smoothly. It may not be strictly necessary, but it just adds that extra bit of efficiency in the whole friendship-magical field thing.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

New Episode was released 2 days ago and not even a single post? When usually every scrap of data is scrutinized? Shame on you SD.Net, shame.

That being said, maybe weakest episode this season, but it was good. And Dash gets to be a jerk and not jerk at the same time 8)
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Why must I procrastinate so much? :oops:
bilateralrope wrote: Which place looks like it gets hit often by them, a desolate rockfarm, or a fertile orchard ?

I'm thinking that Pinkie knew about them because they were a problem on her families rockfarm, while there is something that normally keeps them from making their way to the Apple family orchard/farm.
Interesting idea.

Episode: One Bad Apple
My Thoughts:
  • A bullying episode, doesn't really surprise me since that's the big issue with kids nowadays. Still a good episode.
  • I liked the song, very 70s cartoon feel to it.
  • Babs Seed is the second pony to have a real-life name, the other being Doughnut Joe.
  • Once again Sweetie Belle is the smartest CMC since she wanted to tell AJ, Rarirty, or Twilight.
  • Scootaloo pouting about not being babies was priceless.
  • We finally see Sweetie Belle's home.
  • Omnivourous ponies indeed.
  • Sweetie Belle covered in Luster Dust is too cute.
  • Did I hear that right, Rarity has Emergency Edible Slippers?
  • Ponies seem to have a mastery of clockwork mechanics, that or the floats are magic powered.
  • CMC organization grows, and Scootaloo is not only a chicken, but a thesaurus too. So we have Sweetie Belle the Dictionary, Scootaloo the Thesaurus, and Apple Bloom the ???
Episode: Magic Duel
My Thoughts:
  • Was the opening a reference to Gremlins?
  • Poor Snips and Snails.
  • So there are apparently other types of equids other than ponies, and zebras. I wander if Celestia and Luna are more related to the Saddle Arabians than to their subjects considering their size. Then again, their larger size may be due to their magic.
  • I wander what resource Saddle Arabia has.
  • "Dear sweet Celestia and Luna!", rock farms ARE real. It also looks as if Trixie may have worked for Pinkie's family.
  • Trixie tripping as she ran away was a nice touch.
  • I kinda liked Evil Trixie's heraldry.
I'll cover the latest two tomorrow... hopefully.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Irbis wrote:New Episode was released 2 days ago and not even a single post? When usually every scrap of data is scrutinized? Shame on you SD.Net, shame.

That being said, maybe weakest episode this season, but it was good. And Dash gets to be a jerk and not jerk at the same time 8)
I like to wait for a legit airing, myself. At least "legit" in my TV viewing area, because I have no idea what you're talking about it being released.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I wonder if we'll be seeing more of Lighting Dust?
Spoiler
Also 'Roid Pony' is back. yay. There were a few sly references to 'nam' era films in there, but I'm surprised at how little oversight the cadets have, espcially if two of them can cause so much damage.

Also Fluttershy's embarrassed look at being caught = gold.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Man, can we not post visible spoilers until after it airs Saturday? It's not like everybody is going to go watch a low quality leaked version...

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i don't have a TV, so wasn't even aware it hadn't aired.

Don't worry, I don't think I've commented on anything crucial - more the side fillips to the fans. If you have the edit power feel free to spoiler tag my post, I can't.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

RogueIce wrote:I like to wait for a legit airing, myself. At least "legit" in my TV viewing area, because I have no idea what you're talking about it being released.
It was released on Hub webpage, you can hardly get more legit source.

And low quality? Maybe on Youtube, unedited file from the page was made directly from flash master (not even watermarks) and despite lower resolution was actually superior to even 720p tv rips.
  • Babs Seed is the second pony to have a real-life name, the other being Doughnut Joe.
  • Did I hear that right, Rarity has Emergency Edible Slippers?
  • Ponies seem to have a mastery of clockwork mechanics, that or the floats are magic powered.
A) Um, Trixie?
B) Well, can't you eat shoe skin if delicate enough? :P
C) Or, you know, a simple engine of any kind?
Episode: Magic Duel
  • Poor Snips and Snails.
  • I wander what resource Saddle Arabia has.
A) Yeah, they deserved to be kicked more, actually :wink:
B) Oil for the engine above and tanks Equestria supposedly has?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Why does everyone instantly assume that Saddle Arabia has oil? Why can't they have other resources? The Ottoman empire managed to become rich and powerful before oil became in any way important.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well, just watched the episode.

Quite a good RD episode, especially showing as to why she is the Element of Loyalty. I just wish the problem would haven been allowed to be more complex than "it's not okay to be reckless". After all, "teamwork" should be one obvious trait of a wonderbolt (they often do tandem-flying, don't they?) and even more obvious show-worthy material to discuss. That was Lightning Dust's problem after all, she was working herself at the expense of the team and outright cheating. If she could be taught a little teamwork, and RD seems like a good teacher or at least inspiration for that, she would be fine.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

I can see Lightning Dust being the new Trixie and honestly I think she's a better dark reflection of Rainbow than Trixie is of Twilight. Lightning has all the drive and skill that Rainbow has but she's not grounded by having friends who stop her pushing herself to hard and give her something to are about.

Pinkie's minor breakdown was a nice call back to Party of One even if its rather dark. She really does seem to need constant reasurance that she still has friends, abandonment issues? Explains why she's constantly holding parties to make sure that people keep remembering her.

I was expecting a Derpy cameo at the beginning as the mailmare.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What I am wondering is: what now? Is RD a Wonderbolt or not? The next episode is Apple Family Reunion, so it obviously won't deal with RD becoming a wonderbolt.

Or did we just have a reset-button press offscreen? :(

EDIT:
It seems that there has been a last-minute scrip-change. Which is a shame, as the episode set up a fairly good "Friendship Lesson" (although this is more about life). I wonder what the original script's ending was and why it was changed. I smell executive meddling and downlooking the audience ("Because kids can't handle more than two lessons at once!" or some similar bullshit), but that's just cynical pessimism.
Credo!
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Basically, one big ol' ripoff of Top Gun, in the good way. Buzzing the tower and all, according to A Special Somepony. :D
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmmm. This just in Spitefire is a terrible teacher.

Coupled with last week's episode, RD has suddenly grown up a lot. Pinkie how seems to have been flanderised.

I too was surprised they just chucked Lightning Dust out, rather than giving her a second chance as RD's wingpony.