'Arrow' Series Premiere.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

'Arrow' Series Premiere.

Post by FaxModem1 »

Watching now. Thoughts?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: 'Arrow' Series Premiere.

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, so Oliver is pretty much a lethal version of Bruce Wayne. Black Canary is a lawyer, Merlyn is his drunk best pal. Speedy is Oliver's little sister, and there was a Deathstroke mask at the beginning of the episode.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, as I'm a huge Green Arrow fan, but I'm a bit hesitant to see where this is going.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh it is Green Arrow. I saw it on the little advertising thingy on Xbox Live, but I wasn't sure. Thought maybe they were just calling it just Arrow to avoid the infringement.

Is it taking the character they introduced in Smallville (didn't they do that?) or is it a completely knew take?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Completely new take I believe. They don't even use the same actor and the look is different.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

It's a completely new series, with it's own continuity.

Also, of note:

http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uplo ... 24x575.jpg

Definitely a comics reference there:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-L0zvn0vmelA/T ... stroke.jpg

So, they are definitely trying to follow the mythos a bit, while at the same time, modifying it however they like.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I guess Green Arrow doesn't really have his own rogues gallery to pull characters from.

Kind of cool that they got Deathstroke's mask in there. I think DC has been trying to find ways to get that character into TV for awhile but they've always modified him in some way. They just used the name in Lois & Clark and changed his name in the Teen Titans cartoon. I'd even say that Sports Master in the Young Justice cartoon is really a stand-in for who they really wanted to use, Deathstroke.

So the lethal Bruce Wayne sounds promising, as does some of what they've done with the other characters. Is Dina actually Black Canary or is she just a lawyer in this? Otherwise, it concerns me that it's on the CW. The home for romantic teen angsty shows.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Havok wrote:Oh it is Green Arrow. I saw it on the little advertising thingy on Xbox Live, but I wasn't sure. Thought maybe they were just calling it just Arrow to avoid the infringement.

Is it taking the character they introduced in Smallville (didn't they do that?) or is it a completely knew take?
I think they just took the green out because Arrow just sounds more dramatic and serious then having 'Green' stuck before it and make viewers think it's going to be a camp superhero story. Just as Nolan later names the Batman sequals as the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

It's ok so far, though its nothing different to what I haven't seen.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

It's nothing to shocking or unique. You're literally getting the feel of cheesy comic book on a tv screen, which I honestly have no problem with. All things being equal, I've wanted a show like this for a long time where they can literally do something like an issue a week instead of sit around waiting for a movie every other year if they're churning them out at their fastest. Only to have to sit there and wonder if they're going to green light another. It's basically a live action comic book melodrama with some action, complete with awkward dialogue and everything, and I think it knows it.

Was hoping it would take the cops longer though. Just sayin'.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

The best way to watch Arrow is to watch it and then read the io9 episode reviews, because they are hilarious.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff