Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-04 09:18am
Jedi Council Member

The gag here is that we've got two dudes who fight heroes/anti heroes whose strength escalates as the plot calls for, despite starting off stronger than them. No specific scenario, let's say maybe Abomination is threatening Olive Oyl in a port town of some kind and Popeye isn't around to save her. I don't know shit about the different incarnations of the Marvel series, so go with whatever suits you, and I guess Bluto may have weapons or something else he can use since he's usually depicted as being financially well-established compared to Popeye, but they wouldn't be on his person at the time. Who wins, in a more or less straight brawl?

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-04 04:57pm
Miscreant

Abomination.

While Bluto can take an ass kicking from Popeye, and even though Popeye can break wood and concrete and I believe even bend up steel girders, he is no where near the level of what the Abomination can dish out while fighting the Hulk.

Also, Popeye's ass whoopings last seconds, as does his enhanced super strength, and he always lets up on Bluto once he is knocked out. The Abomination will have no such time limitations nor will he give such quarter.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-05 01:24am
Jedi Master

Abomination can lift over 100 tons. Can Popeye?

If he can't that about sums up the fight. Abomination can go to to toe with a dude that can bench press an 18 wheeler without trying. Abomination is immune to bullets. Abomination can hit Hulk hard enough to leave a mark, even if it doesn't last. Hulk is also functionally immune to bullets. Abomination has a healing factor worth mentioning, as I recall. Bluto cannot claim any of these things.

In his own setting, Bluto is an utter badass. Against someone like Abomination? It's about like throwing the toughest, most badass five year old you know up against a sumo wrestler on PCP.

Created by Instant Sunrise.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-05 05:14am
Jedi Council Member

Havok wrote:
While Bluto can take an ass kicking from Popeye, and even though Popeye can break wood and concrete and I believe even bend up steel girders, he is no where near the level of what the Abomination can dish out while fighting the Hulk.

Popeye can bend steel with his tongue. He's chewed up steel like gum, formed it into nails in his mouth, and spat them out with enough force to sink into steel girders. Abomination isn't in Popeye's league. I'd argue Galactus isn't in Popeye's league once he eats spinach.

Quote:
Also, Popeye's ass whoopings last seconds, as does his enhanced super strength, and he always lets up on Bluto once he is knocked out. The Abomination will have no such time limitations nor will he give such quarter.

We don't know how long the effects of spinach last on Popeye since he usually eats it within a minute of the ending of the short. It isn't that he leaves Bluto alone, either - he often torments him or transmogrifies some nearby item into a prison for him with sheer bludgeoning.

Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Abomination can lift over 100 tons. Can Popeye?

He must've, in order to assemble a fleet of battleships and push them out of port three seconds apart.

Quote:
If he can't that about sums up the fight. Abomination can go to to toe with a dude that can bench press an 18 wheeler without trying. Abomination is immune to bullets. Abomination can hit Hulk hard enough to leave a mark, even if it doesn't last. Hulk is also functionally immune to bullets. Abomination has a healing factor worth mentioning, as I recall. Bluto cannot claim any of these things.

He survived being punched to da moon and came back for the following short just fine. I think that counts for something.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-05 07:50am
Emperor's Hand

Popeye could take Silver Age Superman.

At the very least, Abomination will not be able to hit Bluto hard enough to achieve anything. :v

What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-06 01:06am
Emperor's Hand

The list posted by Ford reminds me of why certain things are just too "Silly" to match up... Popeye and Comic book worlds are silly in their own right... I mean, where else would could a skinny guy grow several hundred extra pounds in a few seconds... Sure that can happen in a comic universe.. but then to punch someone into the sun? Well that is just "too" Silly...

I mean, old timey cartoons like Popeye and Bugs Bunny and such are just in a whole different universe... It would be like saying "Who would win in a fight between The Wrner Brothers DoDo and Majin Boo from DragonBall-Z.

I mean.. if you REALLY wanted a fight between No limit Fallacy characters on "somewhat" equal footings, You would pit Gurran Lagann against MEGAS-XLR.

Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-06 06:37am
Miscreant

Ford Prefect wrote:
Popeye could take Silver Age Superman.

At the very least, Abomination will not be able to hit Bluto hard enough to achieve anything. :v

:lol: Nevermind. Bluto wins. :lol:

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-06 07:58am
Jedi Council Member

Well I didn't think Abomination could really hurt Bluto, but I thought he might be able to bury him or something and get a TKO that way. Even if Bluto's durability is pretty well as high as fictional characters go, his strength isn't nearly as well-documented as Popeye's is and I'm not sure he can dish it out as well as Abomination can.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-06 08:02am
SMAKIBBFB

Yeah, a great big holy shit to Popeye.

Abomination is going to get destroyed.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-06 08:04am
SMAKIBBFB

And re: that "Hull of a Mess" - Please note all the shit he does PRIOR to having any fucking spinach.

What is Project Zohar?

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-07 08:30am
Sith Marauder

However in 'hull of a mess' Bluto himself only exhibits 2 real feats:

1) He carries a stack of deckplates, conservatively valued at a m^3 of steel. (7850 kg)

2) He survives a driect hit in the head from a rivet gun.

3) - he also hoists a large steel beam easily, but you can't see whether a block and tackle were involved (maybe extrapolate from distance his rope moves compared to the load)

However, in 'Sail along the Sarong' he survives being jammed into an active volcano.

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-07 01:06pm
is a laughing fool.

madd0ct0r wrote:
However in 'hull of a mess' Bluto himself only exhibits 2 real feats:

1) He carries a stack of deckplates, conservatively valued at a m^3 of steel. (7850 kg)

2) He survives a driect hit in the head from a rivet gun.

3) - he also hoists a large steel beam easily, but you can't see whether a block and tackle were involved (maybe extrapolate from distance his rope moves compared to the load)

However, in 'Sail along the Sarong' he survives being jammed into an active volcano.

Building the warship on his own is a pretty mean feat in of itself. :)

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-08 04:44pm
Jedi Council Member

One other point to note: If Bluto is given spinach, it seems to have an effect on him as well. Sadly in this case, it appears to be mostly WTF/Turning him into a horrible Godzilla/Zepplin hybrid rather than anything concrete.

This is a man who has survived being punched into the moon so hard that it exploded. And now it turns out he can get worse. Be very afraid of Bluto.

According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-08 09:04pm
is a laughing fool.

That clip also shows other feats of his. He was able to handle a 1,000 lb weight effortlessly. Jumped out of a very tall skyscraper and hit the ground so hard that he ended up in hell yet showed no signs of injuries when he got out.

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2012-10-23 10:32am
Jedi Council Member

Vanas wrote:
One other point to note: If Bluto is given spinach, it seems to have an effect on him as well. Sadly in this case, it appears to be mostly WTF/Turning him into a horrible Godzilla/Zepplin hybrid rather than anything concrete.

As is to be expected from a comedy series this old with no interest in maintaining anything like "canon", however, the effects of spinach on Bluto are not consistent. I can't find the clip, but in a logjamming-themed short, Popeye punches a Bluto-sized highchair into existence for him, locks him into it, and finishes up the short by force-feeding him spinach with Olive. All it manages to do is nauseate him to tears.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-01-02 08:30pm
Padawan Learner

Havok wrote:
Abomination.

Popeye can do a bit more than that. He once lassoed the sun.

"OK, I get it. You don't believe in the truce any more. Fair enough. Hands up - who fancies draining a nice juicy breather?"
"Oh, me!"
"Anyone else?"
"Good."

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-01-02 08:37pm
Padawan Learner

And no, popeye can't take pre-crisis superman. Pre-crisis is far too fast for him, and has pulled a galaxy's worth of planets at the same time.

"OK, I get it. You don't believe in the truce any more. Fair enough. Hands up - who fancies draining a nice juicy breather?"
"Oh, me!"
"Anyone else?"
"Good."

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-01-03 11:26am
Jedi Council Member

Popeye can either punch nearby rocks into kryptonite, or spinach his way into the animator's studio and threaten him into drawing Supes losing. It's cheap, but he basically can't lose.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-01-04 04:25am
Padawan Learner

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
Popeye can either punch nearby rocks into kryptonite, or spinach his way into the animator's studio and threaten him into drawing Supes losing. It's cheap, but he basically can't lose.

Supes is faster, so he would hit popeye before he can do that.

"Oh, me!"
"Anyone else?"
"Good."

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-02-13 01:42pm
Village Idiot

Bluto knocks the green out the Abomination.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-02-13 09:08pm
White Mage
White Mage

Dominarch, can you expand on why Bluto wins?

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-02-13 10:01pm
Village Idiot

LadyTevar wrote:
Dominarch, can you expand on why Bluto wins?

The Abomination is said to have a higher base strength than the Hulk, but unlike the Hulk, does not get stronger as time goes on.

Bluto is a Toon Villain in a series that demonstrates monstrous and reality warping brute strength as a matter of course. Bluto can withstand such blows and dish them out.

A couple links have been provided to Bluto.

In order for Abomination to compete, he would have to perform similar feats of strength and durability as that of World War Hulk. He never has. Atleast not consistently.

Post subject: Re: Bluto VS Abomination PostPosted: 2013-02-13 11:42pm
Miscreant

You guys chose this thread to moderate? :lol:

Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)