Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-13 08:01pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Posts: 9393
Location: Sheffield, UK
This kind of thing is why I always say follow writers not characters.

Why was Runaways good? Because Brian Vaughan is a good writer. When he moved away from Runaways the correct response should have been to find something else written by Brian Vaughan, not follow the same characters just in case they find a non-idiot to write them.

Because they'll probably find an idiot.

Like this.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-13 09:08pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
At least after BKV, we got Joss Whedon for a while, and a Kyle/Yost crossover story.

But yeah, that's the truth. The most recent interview with Hopeless released today (4 days after the lettered/full previews were up) giving even more previews stuff out (inked pages, new covers, etc.) pretty much cements him as a C grade writer at best. Looking over his prior work, it really isn't anything to write home about and contains one of the most hilarious errors I've ever seen.

A plot-hole disappearing, gun wielding mom. In his X-Men Season 1 book, he wrote a scene of Beast and Ice Man defending a circus mutant freak-show act from ignorant marvel citizens when a mother pulls a gun to protect her child (as she's scared) and fires once in the air.

This gets attention from the other X-Men who are at the carnival, but the thing is, that gun wielding mother, literally disappears from the plot after that. Poof! Gone! No explanation!

Some choice quotes from this latest interview include:

Quote:
"Primarily, it's because we need the space to get you to believe these kids would do these stuff," said Hopeless. "We need to get them to a place where they distrust and fear each other enough to let it play out. The first few issues have a different POV … it's a long game. It's not the one-person POV, it's the characters all dealing with this in their own way. What would drive them to go through this and save themselves and save their friends. Once we get to a place where the core concept changes, the book changes, but the Murderworld thing is a long story.


No plans in case this doesn't take. Another, better writer, working on Young Avengers, only planned out the first 12 issues solidly and allows a wrap up point to occur in case it doesn't do well. Young Avengers, in all their appearances, has never gotten below 25K in one series (a mini at that, minis are allowed much more leniency in sales). While Avengers Academy and Runaways sorta live around the 22-25K mark.

Characters, unfortunately, do sell more than writers.

Quote:
I was going to use Molly from the Runaways, but decided that having a character that young would be tonally problematic, but I turned off the part of my brain that was concerned with the well-being of the characters when it comes to the cast.


Trolling at its finest.

Quote:
At the same time, death is a big emotional part of life and I'm not the type of person who thinks death as a story device is cheap. Death close to you, very close to you, is the most powerful thing someone can go through. … I am really proud of the book, I think we're telling a really good story within this. None of the people responding to the concept and the marketing have seen the book, so I don't take it too personally because they haven't seen it yet.


Maybe you should have gone with a Different marketing strategy!

And this from the guy who had an honor roll student use the word "Hater" (as in "haters gonna hate") in her narration in a self-referential, non-ironic manner. Yeah, that's not good writing as far as I'm concerned. It dates the story, doesn't fit the character and I honestly think it's not being used properly.

This latest interview gets me to believe that Marvel has realized or their wallets are realizing, just how badly this thing is being received. Not just as fan ranting, but now dismissive disinterest. It's bad enough that the entire thing is being written off as worthless. It's Honestly C- to D+ territory from what I've seen, but it's nowhere near as good as it needs to be from appearances.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-13 10:19pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
Majin Gojira wrote:
3) The last lines: "Dying wouldn't be so bad. There are worse things." Wow. Talk about overwrought and melodramatic.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
X-23 just had her face melted off and she's still conscious and in Hazmat's face.

I think we can give her a pass for thinking there are worse things than death in that situation.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-13 11:42pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
The casual nature of the narration works against it heavily, however, so even if it passes, it's not passing with muster.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-20 11:16am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
After getting the OK from my editor, I'm going forward with a 3 part blog article series analyzing this type of fiction and tracking the fan reaction to it. Expect it to come out in January.

For some reason, knowing the history of the gladiator games made watching fiction of it hard because of the liberties the writer takes from what actually happened historically. The logistic angle tends to be a nagging thing for me even in the best types of this story.

But one of the things I am doing is running a small poll:, gauging interest vs. knowledge of the characters. If you care to vote or spread the poll around, the link for it is here. So far, I've gotten over 200 votes, which is a decent sample size, but if I can get more it'll lend credence to the theory. Depending on how this thing is received at publication, and how good the work actually is, it may help with a theory I have regarding why it may fail (short version: the writer/Marvel has inadvertently turning itself into Kinpatsu Sakamochi/Yonemi Kamon/The Capitol/President Coriolanus Snow/etc. in the fans eyes by promising a lot of death as if it were a selling point when).

So far, the maximum overall interest is from people who are familiar with the characters, and they are overwhelmingly against it. I have yet to take it to the big forums of comic-dom (CBR, Comicvine, etc) mostly because I dislike the idea of signing up to new forums just to do a poll like this. If you have an account there, do spread it around. The larger the sample size, the better the information will be.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-27 10:50am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
The First Early Bird Review is in

And good lord it couldn't sound more like corporate shill if they tried.

Ron Richards on iFanboy wrote:
Avengers Arena #1

Written by Dennis Hopeless
Art by Kev Walker
Color by Frank Martin
Letters by Joe Caramagna

$2.99 / 32 pages / Color
Projected Release Date: December 12

Published by Marvel Comics

When Avengers Arena got announced in it’s wave of announcements for Marvel NOW!, it was easily the biggest head scratcher of the bunch. With most of the Marvel NOW! titles being fairly safe, middle of the road relaunches of existing titles but with different creative teams, Avengers Arena stood out to me because it was the launch of a new title, that was doing something different, for the Marvel universe at least. And so I decided to keep my eye on this book.

What happened after the weeks of the announcement of the book was startling. The fan reaction to Avengers Arena has been part confused and part downright dismissive due to the not so subtle…let’s call them “influences” Avengers Arena exhibits. When Avengers Arena was first described to me, it was positioned as “The Hunger Games in the Marvel Universe.” Which, admittedly, I winced at. But then again, The Hunger Games was just a youth fiction book (and then movie), of the Japanese manga Battle Royale. So the cycle moves on. But regardless, the fan reaction made sense. It seemed as if Marvel was just capitalizing on the trend set forth by The Hunger Games. But then I started to see a bit of a reason to give this book a chance. First, as evidenced by the cover (and even within the contents of the book itself), they’re owning the influence with a nod to Battle Royale. Second, as the book got finished and I got early word on how the comic was shaping up, I heard through back channels that, yes, it’s just Hunger Games in Marvel, but it’s a ton of fun. I’ve never been one to judge a book by it’s cover or it’s preconceived notions, so when I got the chance to read Avengers Arena #1, I jumped at it.

Guess what? Yep, it’s The Hunger Games in the Marvel Universe. But guess what else? They’re right. This is a ton of fun.

Now, I didn’t read Avengers Academy. But many of the folks who did told me that it was a great book. Avengers Academy seems to be the closest relative to Avengers Arena, pre-Marvel NOW!, with the book starting off on the grounds of Avengers Academy and focusing on the characters HazMat and Mettle). Without spoiling the events of the book and not revealing anything that hasn’t already been talked about in interviews, but rather to give you an idea of what the premise of the book is about, HazMat, Mettle and 14 other characters are sent to “Murder World”, a new island owned and operated by Arcade. Arcade is a legacy villain best known for his bouts with the X-Men and Spider-Man has he puts the heroes through various death traps in his “Murder Worlds” over the years. With 16 heroes (all on the younger/teen side), Arcade informs them they are trapped and have 30 days for one of them to survive. It’s kill or be killed.

After reading Avengers Arena #1, it struck me with several things it has going for it in both story and art. First, on art duties is Kev Walker, whom we’ve enjoyed these past couple of years off and on Thunderbolts. I realized as reading Avengers Arena #1, that it feels like not a month goes by without some Kev Walker comic art from Marvel and I’m afraid I’m getting spoiled. Walker’s art is a unique to his own and subtle in how effective it is. His representation of characters we’re familiar with works and at the same time, carries his unique flare. It’s not the most amazing, unprecedented art you’ve ever seen, but in terms of what Walker does for modern super hero comics, it’s way more than functional, often times downright stellar. His action sequences are without fail, some of the most dynamic and effective depictions in both strong action and keeping the story moving. I hope that Walker is the main artist on Avengers Arena, because after reading issue #1, I want to drop into a world illustrated by him monthly.

In terms of story, Dennis Hopeless has got a couple of things going for him. In terms of a villain, Arcade is a fantastic choice. I don’t know what or how Arcade got to the point of setting this story in motion, but I don’t mind. Similar to work of Rick Remender in Uncanny X-Force, Hopeless is taking a classic character from the Marvel pantheon of villains, staying true to the vision of his character and giving it a modern update. The events of Avengers Arena #1, in the context of Arcade, are no different than Uncanny X-Men #123 or any of the other Arcade stories we’ve seen over the years. Just now, it’s got a modern update that’s a welcome to read.

Secondly, Hopeless’ cast of young superheroes consists of manly B and C list characters. Nothing against them, (hell one of them is one of my all time favorites, Darkhawk) but that’s the case. I’m sure there are big HazMat or Mettle or even X-23 fans, but the fact of the matter that these characters don’t really “matter” and therefore are equal parts fodder and potential for some interesting character based storytelling. We often complain nothing happens in our comics, that the stories go on and on and there aren’t many consequences that threaten the status quo. It’s the consequences and sense that no one is safe that makes us rave about books like Invincible, which aren’t afraid to take risks. Well, Avengers Arena #1 does just that. It takes huge risks and is already, out of the gate, filled with consequences. That combined with a seemingly blank slate (or very lightly filled slate for some) of characters and the isolation from the rest of the Marvel Universe that the setting provides, and I think we may be in for a treat as to what Dennis Hopeless can do with these stories and we may get some characters that finally do “matter” in the grand universe. If they survive. I’ll take those stakes as I read along at home.

The best way to counter and combat any of the rabid fan bases preconceived notions is to deliver a quality book that surprises and that’s exactly what Hopeless and Walker have done. This could be the fresh, exciting bit of “new” that we’ve been hoping for with Marvel NOW! Avengers Arena #1 is anything but predictable, filled with high stakes consequences and clearly going to be a ton of experience.
Story: 4 / Art: 4 / Overall: 4

(Out of 5 Stars)


Bold added for emphasis.

It's a bad review in that the writer has absolutely know idea what he's defending against and makes several assumptions that, n all honesty, read false. I mean, he dismisses the characters as B and C list and thus disposable, then raves that the events within will have consequences! This actually goes to confirm the fears that many people have for it.

I'm not sure if the writer of this is an idiot, or delusional.

God, I hope this guy isn't actually being paid for his reviews . . .



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-27 12:08pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
I quite like how dismissive he is of the popularity of characters like Hazmat, Nico and X-23 while at the same time calling Arcade "classic".

At this point, based on what we know, the best thing that can happen is for your theory to be true,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and for the death in Issue #2 to be Arcade. Better that Arcade die to set up a story about these C-listers than for the C-listers to die to aggrandise Arcade.



On the other hand, while we're talking about Marvel NOW! I think it might be better if the death sticks that we saw in issue #698 of...
[Reveal] Spoiler: which book - if you don't recognise the number already it's a spoiler
Amazing Spider-Man

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My knowledge of both Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus is out of date but if nothing has changed since then, you'd have a character already tainted by editorially mandated stupidity, being defeated by one of his nemeses.

I can respect "Doctor Octopus kills Spider-Man". I can't respect "Arcade kills a fourteen year old girl".

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-27 01:02pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
Even if
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the kids do die to aggrandize Arcade
the historical precedent works against it. This sort of thing has been tried before.

Most notable, when Doctor Light was 'revealed' to have raped Sue Dibney in Identity Crisis. Say what you will about that story, but it literally did nothing for Doctor Light. Why? Because precisely 3 things happened to him post-ID. 1) He beat up the Teen Titans, 2) He tormented Green Arrow, 3) The Specter turned him into a Candle.

Nothing else was done with him, and little else could be done with him.

The same thing happened to Prometheus. He was a good Grant Morrison JLA villain whose Hubris was his main weakness. He got a good showing in Birds of Prey right before they decided to make him more dangerous in a single issue especial where he killed off a teen heroine while fighting a truly D-list 90s team. In a gore-riffic Tele-frag. Next thing he does, he's in Cry for Justice. Kills Lian Harper and gets an arrow through his head.

Yeah, such a breakout moment for him.

Then there's Superboy Prime. He skirts the line for being an event-baby who was re-introduced as basically a strawman version of a comic fanboy. Then he entered Countdown to Final Crisis. And we all know what a shit heap that was. And what did he do in that? Pretty much what the series is known for: Killing joy and fun across the DC Multiverse. He still managed to be brushed off for Legion of Three Worlds/Final Crisis which saved him somewhat (in part thanks to author favoritism, I think), only in that he got the beatings and mockery he deserved. His final showing? Last issue of Teen Titans v3, where he was again, beaten and mocked.

So even if they do go down the lesser path, we can point out easily that they really should have known better. Long term loss for shot term gain at its worst.

Then again, I also think I could have pitched/written/ballyhooed such a story (even with such a cast) much better than what is going on here. And worse off, this story will render the very concept toxic, so the ability to have an "Arena Done Right" won't occur for at least a decade and easily more.

God, Day 29 of 30 -- Has the writer or artist ever BEEN outside? Or turned on the Discovery Channel for 5 minutes?



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-11-27 03:56pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
Majin Gojira wrote:
Most notable, when Doctor Light was 'revealed' to have raped Sue Dibney in Identity Crisis. Say what you will about that story, but it literally did nothing for Doctor Light. Why? Because precisely 3 things happened to him post-ID. 1) He beat up the Teen Titans, 2) He tormented Green Arrow, 3) The Specter turned him into a Candle.

Nothing else was done with him, and little else could be done with him.

That's the one that came to mind for me as well. It was before my time, but the only good thing I saw come out of it was his mind whammy being used as a recruitment tool for Lex Luthor's Secret Society of Supervillains.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-11 11:14pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
Arena leaked last night. I got to read it. It's. . . pretty bad, confirming many of our fears. I can see Hopeless trying to live up to his promise and there are some parts which work, but his craft isn't there. The parts that worked, really, were the parts not on the island with the kids establishing things in non-clunky exposition and just hanging out. Once he's on the island, it goes to crap. His love of Arcade hinders him, I think. But overall, the more you know about the cast or the scenario type in general, the worse it become, as does the more you think about it. It simply isn't as strong as it needs to be. The villain is given an extreme power boost no explanation (yet, but it's not exactly a mystery the kids can spend much time looking into) from human trap-master to Beyonder type cosmic power, and the pacing is, honestly, rather off with the needless flash forward starting it out.

It's very formulaic as well, with one beloved cast member dying in the first issue to illustrate that NO ONE IS SAFE!!! That target, a fan favorite (even a minor meme on 4chan) who happened to be: non-white, not from the continental united states, who recently had sex and 'wears' red.

His name was Ken. Yes.

Quote:
OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED KENNY! YOU BASTARDS!


The kill itself tries to be a noble sacrifice, but we simply don't spend enough time with him to have it work to much (and lines before that contradict the noble nature of the sacrifice to some degree). It ends up being more about his girlfriend (whom he saves) than him. In other words, its a classic Fridging, only gender inverted.

The only light of success appears to be hints that it could all be a VR sim, with Arcade 'killing' them by driving them into the darkness he saw in their hearts. Because he's seen to many heroes revive. But that might be as bad as the psychosis theories for Mass Effect 3's ending.

Some of the online reviews from the review sites describe it as 'fun'. Where the get that I don't know, but it speaks to a true failure in the book's narrative as it's pretty clear that 'fun' is not the order of the day from the way the book is put together. They also fail to describe what is fun about it (beyond 'camp'/'schlock' appeal). Given that the most successful of these things worked because off the deeper meaning/undertones, that's not exactly praise.

Overall, 2/5, maybe 3/5 if you're new to the characters. But the more you know, the dumber it becomes.

It's not "Manos" bad, but it is "Teenage Caveman" or "Deadly Mantis" bad.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-12 01:01am
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
I shared your opinion that the creators were associating themselves with the villains of these stories, and I agree with it even more now that I've seen the spoiler. My reaction is simple disgust. Not at Arcade but at Hopeless, for writing a love letter to this mean-spirited joke of a character in the gore of other, better characters.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-20 07:30pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
Strangely enough, #2 was a marked improvement, mostly by focusing on the original characters (and only one perspective) and thus avoiding many of the things that caused the first issue to suck. Still had it's problems (a 'new'/'not used in a decade with only minor appearances before then' character dies without saying a damn thing in what amounted to a visual pun for "Fight or Flight"), but it does have a sign of what it could be.

Nah, it just makes me wish Hopeless was writing with a different core premise.

If I had to rate this one #2 is solid 3/5, carried in part through the art (which was spectacular, and the colorist was actually doing more than just going through the motions--actively setting mood with tints). The shadow of the premise looms pretty large in my book and the pointless death I described are real detractors. Without that death, it would have been a 4/5. Not jokin'.

Still, there's enough there to make fun of if one wishes to crack jokes.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-26 12:56pm
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2005-01-01 07:30pm
Posts: 1486
Location: I need you to relax your anus.
The most amazing thing about this series is that anyone even cares about it. Seriously, no-name writer doing a series that kills off a bunch of no-name characters by one of the most lame X-men villains ever. The only thing even remotely noteworthy about it is that it features the two most boring Runaways (and I don't know anyone who's given a shit about the Runaways since Whedon ran their series into the ground) and X-23, and straight up the best thing that could come out of it is that X-23 is permanently excised from the Marvel U.

(X-23 is so bad, guys)



Image
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"

"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"

"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-26 01:20pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
Manus Celer Dei wrote:
The most amazing thing about this series is that anyone even cares about it. Seriously, no-name writer doing a series that kills off a bunch of no-name characters by one of the most lame X-men villains ever.


The characters that were established prior were cult hits. They didn't sell spectacularly, but they sold steadily in the case of the Avengers Academy cast, and for Runaways--that's still many people's gateway series.

Quote:
The only thing even remotely noteworthy about it is that it features the two most boring Runaways (and I don't know anyone who's given a shit about the Runaways since Whedon ran their series into the ground)


*raises hand* A lot of people like those two Runaways in particular, and as part of the team, Nico holds it together. She dies, the team falls apart. Damn girl got a statue even.

And it was Terry Moore who ran the Runaways into the ground. Whedon's run was the best selling run with the characters (I didn't think it was that great overall, but not bad). Moore's run is universally considered poor. Which is sad because Kathryne Immomen's run was building back steam when it got axed out from under her, too much damage had been done.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-30 11:14am
Offline
Mostly Harmless Nutcase
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Posts: 35211
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
Isn't Nico's magic partially blood fueled?

So near end game she retcons the whole of Avenger's Arena using everyone whose died blood, plus her own?



Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-31 01:43am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
It's actually fueled by personal suffering. An ancestor of hers tortured her for a few days to give her a power boost.

Unless Hopeless does what many bad writers have done with Nico and nerf her repeatedly with "Oh, I'm running out of spells to cast" or other such nonsense. "Why doesn't Nico solve the problem with a spell" is dramatic hurdle to many stumble with and overcompensate for.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-31 01:55am
Offline
Mostly Harmless Nutcase
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Posts: 35211
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
Oh god, super mega mind rape?!? anyone, let her make Arcade feel all the pain and suffering he causes times three.....



Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2012-12-31 12:08pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Oh god, super mega mind rape?!? anyone, let her make Arcade feel all the pain and suffering he causes times three.....


If I were writing it, I'd take a cue from Code Geass a little on that one. Specifically the fate of Mao. Though, a bit more deserving.

Suppose the Avengers or whoever capture Arcade, rescue the kids, but as Arcade is being taken away to whatever superjail they want to not seem like cardboard this week, Arcade rants and raves how he truly killed them and that they won't be heroes or some such.

Then Nico just says this: "Arcade! Inside Out!"

And Arcade is turned inside out. Alive, in excruciating pain and barely able to form cogent sounds other than shrill, impotent screams. Everyone looks on horrified, except the survivors. Nico looks at Arcade and says this: "What's the matter? You got what you wanted, right?"



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-01-03 11:34am
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2013-01-02 05:31pm
Posts: 188
I don't know which characters are involved, but I find myself hoping it won't include characters I like. Which is never a good sign.



Image
"OK, I get it. You don't believe in the truce any more. Fair enough. Hands up - who fancies draining a nice juicy breather?"
"Oh, me!"
"Anyone else?"
...
"Good."

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-01-03 09:56pm
Offline
Mostly Harmless Nutcase
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Posts: 35211
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
well here's a thought, Inside out would also be "Warp Spasm" in Celtic Myth....



Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-03-28 12:34pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
6 issues of this thing are out an I've formulate a complex opinion on it.

Thankfully, I write for a blog, so I can afford to ramble.

Part of the reason some are praising it, I think, is that they are simply unfamiliar with the genre. So to rectify that, I preface the review with 2 separate articles on Gladiator Games and on how the genre has been used in media following Rome's downfall (mostly as a storytelling device.)

And, for your reading pleasure or pain, here are those articles:

Part 1: a history lesson - Learn yourself some things about gladiators. I freely admit the best source was a Terry Jones Documentary focusing on them, and it's hard to top his writing work, but there's enough new data here to justify itself.

Part 2: Present - This part focuses on movies and books which use Gladiator games and similar ideas and how the genre has evolved and adapted over time. From Chessmen of Mars to Fight Club and beyond.

Part 3: Future - Skip to the review if you want, but the other parts help set it up. The sad thing is, I don't even get to mention half the errors in Arena that I wanted to due to space constrictions.

Feel free to tell me how I screwed up this review. Because I probably did, somehow.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-03-28 05:48pm
Offline
Mostly Harmless Nutcase
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-21 02:38am
Posts: 35211
Location: Dave's Not Here Man
may the Nico brand clothing and perfume endorsements commence. (knowing something about popularity of gladiators)



Image

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-03-28 07:51pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
Majin Gojira wrote:
Feel free to tell me how I screwed up this review. Because I probably did, somehow.

The graph is upside-down, at least for me.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-03-28 09:52pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-08-06 11:27pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Philadelphia
Coming up right side for me, and I really can't control how the pictures ended up after I submitted them. One thing I can't really correct, I guess.



ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: So . . . Avengers Arena PostPosted: 2013-03-29 12:07am
Offline
Jedi Council Member

Joined: 2011-12-10 10:13am
Posts: 1584
Really? So when you look at this, the text is right side up?

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group