You all need to go watch Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

evilsoup
Jedi Knight

You all need to go watch Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

Post by evilsoup »

It's great.
There's some hilarious stuff like Lincoln having a black best friend in childhood, and I guess you could argue that it sort of trivialises slavery & the QAmerican civil war (though in a more... serious film, vampirism would be a perfect metaphor for slavery). The fight scenes are great, the story is perfectly well-done (so long as you embrace the inherent silliness), it's the most fun film I've watched for a while.
Spoiler
So many great twists, oh my.
'Where is the silver?!'
'It's right - HERE!'

That axe was also a gun; and the fight in the stampede was... fantastic. The fight on the train, with Lincoln's black best friend, was also great... and 'there's more than one railroad'...

Sorry, I'm rambling. But I loved this film. This is what Captain America should have been - over-the-top comic book action.

The one thing I was disappointed with was a lack of vampire John Wilkes Booth
It has vampires and explosions.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Meest
Jedi Master

Re: You all need to go watch Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

Post by Meest »

Can you answer something about the action? Do they use that strobe like effect in the action scenes a lot, it's flashes on and off to black not white and looked off in the trailers I've seen.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Just got back from it and enjoyed myself.
Can you answer something about the action? Do they use that strobe like effect in the action scenes a lot, it's flashes on and off to black not white and looked off in the trailers I've seen.
Nope, no flashing strobes.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Yeah that was just in the trailer.
There is a fight in a horse-stampede, where they jump from horse to horse and the vampire throws a horse at Lincoln.
All sorts of stuff like that, it's fantastic.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

excellent movie
Spoiler
working in the real life death of Willie Lincoln was great. the audience was not expecting that.

movie was like a some alt history where the secret reason for slavery is to provide a food supply for the Southern vampires. ending slavery means having to destroy the vampire plantocracy.
if they'd had the budget i'd have like to have had a couple minutes with General Sherman running into some Confederate vampires leading to him deciding to burn his way through Georgia.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am going to second the positive comments about this movie. You should go see it.

That said, i know this film is going to get some southern panties in a twist.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Spoiler
Am I the only one who predicted that Henry was a vampire before it was revealed in story?

Silly but entertaining, over all. And the 3D wasn't obnoxiously done, which is always nice.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

It wasn't exactly a twist considering his second scene involves him tossing a dude thirty feet into the air.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Moby Halcyon wrote:It wasn't exactly a twist considering his second scene involves him tossing a dude thirty feet into the air.
Leaving aside all the obvious "I'm a Vampire!" crap that he did just after Lincoln wakes up. It really was not much of a surprise.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Lincoln felled a tree in an absolutely epic manner and wasn't a vampire himself. It was pretty clear that vampire hunters can learn to put out superhuman feats of strength. With shocking ease, actually. The foe-toss wasn't necessarily indicative of anything. Though the whole "Why didn't he kill the bastard?" question does get cleared up.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

To be fair a lot of stories float about regarding how ridiculously strong Lincoln was.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

It was a really good popcorn flick. You shush the parts of your brain that whine about historical accuracy and faithfulness to the book of the same name, and bask in the glory of Abraham Lincoln killing vampires.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

And what I'm sure is an anachronistic use of the word "fucking."
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:And what I'm sure is an anachronistic use of the word "fucking."
Shakespeare made a "fuck" joke, and it appears in at least one dictionary (with modern meanings) as far back as the late 1700s. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the usage was in no way anachronistic.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

I'm not saying the word "fuck" is anachronistic. Just that I don't really think anybody at that time would say "Abraham fucking Lincoln."
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Why does he keep on hesitating when introducing himself anyway? In Springfield he always says "I'm Abraham......Lincoln".
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It was an amazing, stupid, awesome, hilariously wonderful movie. For Halloween my fiance and I are going to be Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln, vampire hunters.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Really enjoyed it. Why are the reviews so negative?

This movie is exactly what it says on the tin and delivers exactly what's promised. It's not one of those movies that promises axe-fighting with vampires and you're 30 minutes in wondering when it's going to get started. It also works because they play the concept straight while being ridiculous with the action. A very hard balance to strike.

Compared with Captain America, I felt Cap fell short while having a lot going for it because they were trying to put too much in the film, Red Skull had zero development as a worthy villain, and the need to have him frozen so he could show up in Avengers kept the movie too constrained.

It does feel funny saying that because the train chase is equally as silly in theory as the bomber fight but it felt hell yeah in Linoln and just tacked on in Cap.

Honestly, I don't get why there are so many negative reviews. Iron Sky took a lot of crap as well and again, this is a movie that promised space nazis and did it in a thoroughly entertaining fashion. Contrast with the last Spider-Man which had little web-slinging, a crap villain, and just wasn't entertaining. Go figure.