The OotS Thread III

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread III

Post by Simon_Jester »

I was honestly not aware of Malack being a vampire in the first place, so this caught me totally off guard...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

He's pale with red eyes, his clothes are black and hooded against the sun. It makes perfect sense in retrospect while being easily overlooked the first time. I love it!

Crap. What are the DnD rules about vampire sires again? Does Belkar have to obey Malack in all things, can he hurt Malack or work against his interests? It'd be a shame for Belkar to have to turn his coat and join the Linear Guild (or when that inevitably falls apart, Team Tarquin.)
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Holy Mother of God... I did NOT see that coming!!!

I thought Malack was just ALBINO...
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I was hoping we were going to have more albino lizards, I like albinos, where's elric when we really need him....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote:Holy Mother of God... I did NOT see that coming!!!

I'd heard speculation about him being a vampire before, but I'd ruled it out because we'd seen him in sunlight.

That said, I'm still not convinced he is one. He could be some other sort of energy draining undead, though I'm drawing a blank on good possibilities. Or he could be alive and using some sort of granted power that lets him energy drain with natural attacks.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Ralin wrote:So, people are really surprised over this? I've been hearing speculation that Belkar would go undead for years now, and it's a pretty obvious interpretation of the whole "Will breath his last" prophecy.
No, the Belkster will have at least one reason to be pissed off about this turn of events. Check the rules and you'll see why, unless Malek is really nice about the whole thing.
Do you mean him being controlled by the master vampire, him losing his Con bonus from raging, level drain or what? I'm drawing a blank on what else you could mean.
Being Mal's servant. The perks of being a vampire outweigh the loss of Con.
Ahriman238 wrote:He's pale with red eyes, his clothes are black and hooded against the sun. It makes perfect sense in retrospect while being easily overlooked the first time. I love it!

Crap. What are the DnD rules about vampire sires again? Does Belkar have to obey Malack in all things, can he hurt Malack or work against his interests? It'd be a shame for Belkar to have to turn his coat and join the Linear Guild (or when that inevitably falls apart, Team Tarquin.)
The SRD isn't specific, though there may be more in the MM or Libris Mortis. I would imagine that it basically boils down to not being able to disobey the master vampire's orders.

There's an outside chance that Belkar will be freed. Not terribly likely, though.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Ralin wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Holy Mother of God... I did NOT see that coming!!!

I'd heard speculation about him being a vampire before, but I'd ruled it out because we'd seen him in sunlight.

That said, I'm still not convinced he is one. He could be some other sort of energy draining undead, though I'm drawing a blank on good possibilities. Or he could be alive and using some sort of granted power that lets him energy drain with natural attacks.
No, Burlew himself has said that Malack is a vampire on the OOTS forums.

As for the sunlight, there's apparently various ways around that, especially for a high level character like him.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:No, Burlew himself has said that Malack is a vampire on the OOTS forums.
Ah, well then.
As for the sunlight, there's apparently various ways around that, especially for a high level character like him.
I do remember a 2nd edition Ravenloft spell that let a vampire caster temporarily remove vampire weaknesses by swapping them for his powers, starting with the most useful powers for the most minor weaknesses (energy drain for deathly pallor, etc) and ending with sunlight vulnerability. So there is precedent for it. Not sure I like it thematically, but I suppose that yes a high level vampire with Malack's resources should be able to find a way around the sunburn issue.

EDIT:

Aww, I just realized, odds are Belkar can't keep Mr. Scruffy as his animal companion anymore. The rules say that most familiars won't stick around with a vampire master, and while I don't think it says anything about animal companions I suspect many DMs (including Burlew) would be inclined to make a similar ruling.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I remember Malak said he was worried he wouldn't have that 'special bond' with any new children. Is it possible that might have a double meaning in light of this revelation? Like Belkar might not end up under his control?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Possible. Or he may be referring to nothing more than an emotional attachment. We'll only be able to wait and see.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote:I remember Malak said he was worried he wouldn't have that 'special bond' with any new children. Is it possible that might have a double meaning in light of this revelation? Like Belkar might not end up under his control?
I was just skimming threads at the Order of the Stick forums and saw someone quote the dialogue from that exchange. It was in response to V pointing out that the empire must have a lot of orphans. I think the implication was just that living kids wouldn't be vampires and hence wouldn't have the same bond with him.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

He's saying "i miss the company of my own ilk", which strongly implicates he misses being around other vampires. You know, having like-minded people with like-minded problems and the same lifestyle-choices.
Complete mind-control would ruin that point.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So, was Nale "child slaying" possibly a neutral/good act? I mean, if Malak meant just killing three vampires instead of real kids...

Huh, must go and re-read the scene.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

So, does a vampire servant still retain his alignment or???
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

PainRack wrote:So, does a vampire servant still retain his alignment or???
Not much of an issue in this case, because Belkar is Chaotic Evil.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The SRD says "Always evil (any)"

Still somewhat relevant since Malack is probably Lawful, but I don't think that aspect would change, no.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

there is something wrong:

my brain imagined vamp belker rolling around in gold dust so that he would sparkle, plotting to get some action with the now very dead and unresserectable Tesuddio, (sp), Lost boys/Salem's Lot shout outs, Hailey going back to being a goth just to take out the master vamp, etc....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Raise hand who saw it coming :mrgreen:

Malack is sooo evil.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

By which I assume he means 871 is up and it was a bait and switch on Belkar's demise.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

D&D wiki tells me that Death Ward makes the subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects. But does it make one immune to vampirism?

--------EDIT-----------

People were pointing out that a Don't Split the Party bonus strip there was a mention that Belkar was gonna save Hinjo's life twice. If that were on the main comic, I would have liked this twist. But without the book, it just looks like Rich is messing woth his readers for no reason.

I would like to see Belkar as a vampire. Oh well.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Spekio wrote:D&D wiki tells me that Death Ward makes the subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects. But does it make one immune to vampirism?
As I believe that the victim must die by vampiric energy drain to become a vampire, death ward would effectively block the transformation.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

...This is really silly, but I'm going to seriously think less of Durkon if he sticks to being a vampire bigot.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Ralin wrote:...This is really silly, but I'm going to seriously think less of Durkon if he sticks to being a vampire bigot.
It sounds a bit silly, yeah. May I ask why?

The comic established pretty early on that Durkon hates the undead. So passionately that the mere mention of them (or anything sounding vaguely like a mention of them) is enough to send him into a flurry of Turn Undead.

Of course, he also passionately hates Ogres and Trees. So much hate for a man of the cloth.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Ahriman238 wrote:It sounds a bit silly, yeah. May I ask why?

The comic established pretty early on that Durkon hates the undead. So passionately that the mere mention of them (or anything sounding vaguely like a mention of them) is enough to send him into a flurry of Turn Undead.
It touches juuust enough on how actual bigotry works to make me uncomfortable. Like I said, I know it's silly.

I mean, he's cool with agreeing to disagree about thinks like worshipping Nerull and working to run a blatantly Evil empire. Just seems really sad that he would draw the line at Malack being the wrong creature type.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Ralin wrote: It touches juuust enough on how actual bigotry works to make me uncomfortable. Like I said, I know it's silly.

I mean, he's cool with agreeing to disagree about thinks like worshipping Nerull and working to run a blatantly Evil empire. Just seems really sad that he would draw the line at Malack being the wrong creature type.
This is an unfortunate consequence of a setting with creature types that are always evil. Durkon is a pretty live and let live sort of dwarf regarding religion, and seeing Malack as a respected colleague he can mentally distance him from the Empire's evils. But vampires are universally evil and Malack is a murderer having at least killed those he previously sired.

Same deal with Redcloak, really. He's a cleric, intelligent, well-educated, reasonable, and with that dry wit he'd probably be a fun guy to hang out with. But he's also the dedicated servant of a God whose agenda does not work out well for non-goblinoids. So being intelligent and reasonable just makes him dangerous.