The OotS Thread III

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread III

Post by PainRack »

Ted C wrote:I just had a thought. I'm assuming that the OotS has not had this thought, but I'm going to voice it anyway.

They're trying to get to Girard's gate before Xykon. Fine.

Exactly what are they planning to do with it once they get there? We've seen in Azure City that destroying it is not a good thing (leaving aside the problem of how the gates are containing the Snarl, and three of them have already been destroyed).

What is the point of getting to the gate first? When they thought they were going to warn Girard, it made a certain amount of sense, but they now know that's a moot point.
Roy already mentioned it. One villain at a time.......
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

10 to 1 Belkar has a new steed.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

868 is up!

It looks like the next one will be interesting...
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Alkaloid wrote:10 to 1 Belkar has a new steed.
Sadly, you lose 8)

Corner A - Belkster.
Corner B - Malack.

Any bets?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

The title was a nice callback to Belkar's getting a riding dog (a dachshund.)
Irbis wrote:
Alkaloid wrote:10 to 1 Belkar has a new steed.
Sadly, you lose 8)

Corner A - Belkster.
Corner B - Malack.

Any bets?
They'll be in close quarters, and Belkar is least likely to trip or otherwise lose initiative. On the overhand, Malack is presumably ridiculously high level, along with Tarquin. Tarquin easily manhandled the whole party just a short while ago, and fighter/warrior level progression is nothing compared to caster growth. Malack's also down just a couple of spells, so far he's used what, control weather and a couple raise dead?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Ahriman238 wrote:They'll be in close quarters, and Belkar is least likely to trip or otherwise lose initiative. On the overhand, Malack is presumably ridiculously high level, along with Tarquin. Tarquin easily manhandled the whole party just a short while ago, and fighter/warrior level progression is nothing compared to caster growth. Malack's also down just a couple of spells, so far he's used what, control weather and a couple raise dead?
Well, if Miko/Redcloak fight shown us anything, Clerics in OotS are explicitly not your 'heavy armour clad, melee maxed' kind of characters your typical minmax PC writes, rather the opposite. Malack was shown being rather frail, and Belkar has both multiple attacks and probably favoured enemy on reptile humanoids. Plus, anti-spellcaster cat. Malack is down all the spells he used to bomb OotS in roof fight, and probably not expecting Belkar; this could go either way, might not even be fight if Belkar inquires first due to surprise (and his fake character growth), with Malack likewise refraining from fight.

Or heck, something no one foreseen, like Malack bowing to Belkar as avatar of his god of death :lol:
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Irbis wrote:Or heck, something no one foreseen, like Malack bowing to Belkar as avatar of his god of death :lol:
Probably not that, but still....this isn't something Malack wanted to do in the first place. I could see Malack casually stomping Belkar with his magic, then just saying "Bah, this is meaningless" and wandering off while Belkar complains about how he'll get Malack next time.

Or maybe Belkar will recall that prophecy about him "breathing his last" soon, and quiz Malack-Priest-of-a-Death-God on the undead killing machine options available for the soon to be deceased.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Only Roy knows about the prophecy about Belkar. Since he heard in while a spirit. Any of the times the others heard it, it got wiped out by the memory charm. Though I think he told Haley though. I think Belkar would be whinging about it a lot more if he knew.

As to Belkar well. Evenone's so looking for the clever way out of the prophecy. I'm thinking Rich will just play it very straight instead. I tend to hope it will be in some very preventable way that Roy will angst about; did he accidently let belkar die when it was easily stoppable becaise of the prophecy/he just doesn't like the guy? How does that fit with lawful goodness? etc.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

869 up!
Spoiler
A little one sided there.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, I wonder if we'll see some Sexy Shoeless God of War action or if this will finally be Belkar's end, as Malack is making the decision to kill the little dude, and yet, didn't do a lethal strike yet.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Some days, it's just not enough to fake character growth.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Has anyone ordered their books before? What are the bonus content? My financial status is a bit loose these days and I'm looking to add to my book collection.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

PainRack wrote:Has anyone ordered their books before? What are the bonus content? My financial status is a bit loose these days and I'm looking to add to my book collection.
I have the two prequel books, the dragon magazine collection book and the first three anthologies on online stuff.

Bonus content's ok. Considers mainly of say a dozenish bonus strips a book. Which are decent enough, not the most amazing stuff he's ever written but still good. But mainly, its the amusing foreword by a character and the author's commentary. So it depends how interesting you find Rich's intermental processes I guess.

But really if you want to buy a book, I'd go for the two prequel comics, since they're best bang for your buck of material you haven't seen.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ah yes, the ever useful "Hold" spells
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote:
PainRack wrote:Has anyone ordered their books before? What are the bonus content? My financial status is a bit loose these days and I'm looking to add to my book collection.
I have the two prequel books, the dragon magazine collection book and the first three anthologies on online stuff.

Bonus content's ok. Considers mainly of say a dozenish bonus strips a book. Which are decent enough, not the most amazing stuff he's ever written but still good. But mainly, its the amusing foreword by a character and the author's commentary. So it depends how interesting you find Rich's intermental processes I guess.

But really if you want to buy a book, I'd go for the two prequel comics, since they're best bang for your buck of material you haven't seen.
Don't Split the Party has somewhere in the realm of thirty bonus comics, since it contains the part where Haley, Belkar, and the Thieves' Guild retrieve Roy's golem-body, which was cut from the online comic for pacing reasons. It does quite a bit to put Haley's later actions toward Crystal and double-crossing the Guild in context.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html

VAMPIRE!!!!!!

I did not see that coming.

Looks like Balkar has now breathed his last but most defently will still be wandering around for a good long time, I wonder if he'll sparkle in Sunlight?
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Yes, that was sure a surprise.
Spoiler
And it puts Malack's comments about his children in a whole new perspective. And ha, as far as the latter goes I just noticed the title; "Death in the Family".

It'll be interesting to see how Belkar reacts...and how the Order does.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The composition of the comic was just a thing of beauty. Especially when he drops all pretense of disguising his voice.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

At least belkar will be happy.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

No, the Belkster will have at least one reason to be pissed off about this turn of events. Check the rules and you'll see why, unless Malek is really nice about the whole thing.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Ha, I like this from the OOTS forum: Spoiler
Winged One wrote:What's the difference between Belkar's past and future?

One is a bloodthirsty little monster, and the other is a vampire.

...you're just jealous that I got to say it first.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Well, according to the SRD, Vampires have exactly 1 round to escape sunlight, but Malack has been out in sunlight many times over the course of the comic, so clearly that's not a limitation of this particular vampire type. Belkar will hate having to avoid garlic, though, if that carries over.

He may also be enslaved to Malack unless Malack releases him from it or dies.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Odds are, Malack is a vampire Lord. The template is from the Wizards of the Coast Website, in the article series "Monster Mayhem."

In short, stronger then normal vampire, that is not damaged by sunlight, and only takes a minor (-4) penalty to attacks, skills and saves when in direct sunlight.

It's also possible he has a magic item, feat, or prestige class that offsets sunlight vulnerability (or even a spell).
I remember reading something like that in the D20 Ravenloft books by White Wolf Press's one imprint, but can't remember where off hand, and haven't put those into my database program yet.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

So, are vampire lords able to glide? Because everyone's been wondering about why he doesn't really seem to use his feet like other lizardfolk.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So, people are really surprised over this? I've been hearing speculation that Belkar would go undead for years now, and it's a pretty obvious interpretation of the whole "Will breath his last" prophecy.
No, the Belkster will have at least one reason to be pissed off about this turn of events. Check the rules and you'll see why, unless Malek is really nice about the whole thing.
Do you mean him being controlled by the master vampire, him losing his Con bonus from raging, level drain or what? I'm drawing a blank on what else you could mean.