The OotS Thread III

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: The OotS Thread III

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:933 up.
Spoiler
VICTORY! :mrgreen:
Kind of. They've lost Durkon and are running away.
They only sort-of lost Durkon, they still have vampire-Durkon. And as for running away, in this situation that is winning; despite Tarquin's delusions of being of central to the plot, he's just a speedbump on the way to their actual goal. Simply getting away from him is a victory since he was never their target in the first place.
Ralin wrote:Wouldn't count Tarquin out yet. Not having a means of flight handy would be a pretty big oversight on his part.
But then he'd also be up against the airship and its armaments & crew, instead of just the Order and Julio. And "killed by one of Julio Scoundrel's nameless henchmen with a harpoon launcher" isn't the glorious finale he's looking for.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

"You always think everything that happens is about you!"

fuckin brutal
JADAFETWA
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Sharp-kun wrote:Kind of. They've lost Durkon and are running away.
Durkon's okay. Spoiler
He was last seen flying to the Mechane in bat form.

Nice to see that Tarquin is at least being embarrassed.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Julio executed that rescue very well; I wonder if we'll see any more of him after the next scene aboard the Mechane?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hurray! Everybody lives Elan! just this once, everybody lives
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

For some reson, I find it ominous that the comic has one and a half pages...
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Ted C wrote:
Sharp-kun wrote:Kind of. They've lost Durkon and are running away.
Durkon's okay. Spoiler
He was last seen flying to the Mechane in bat form.

Nice to see that Tarquin is at least being embarrassed.
When I say lost I mean old Durkon. The whole Western Continent trip hasn't gone well for them other than finding Ian.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Am I the only one who thinks Old Durkon is pretty much for the most part intact still? I mean, there are subtle differences, but the personality is for the most part there. There are things he will have to get used to doing, things he may not even like, and things we might see him having to adapt to later. But the dialogue we've seen is literally Durkon. Not especially vampire Durkon. I think the interesting developments personality wise for him will come later, not now.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So far, Durkon has only interacted with his old friends and his enemies. Being turned into an evil-aligned vampire won't affect how he deals with enemies, except perhaps to make him more ruthless (as in breaking Zz'tdri's neck). How he interacts with his old friends...

Well, put this way. The old Durkon was a very Lawful character, with a lot of scruples- so much so, for example, that he would not willingly fight Miko here along with the rest of the Order. Roy is Lawful Good but was willing to resist Miko anyway- but Durkon is so motivated by his alignment, in particular by the idea that resisting Miko is an unlawful act, that he stays out of the fight.

Now, becoming a vampire reverses Durkon's moral alignment (good/evil), but not his ethical alignment (lawful/chaotic). So he is still a very lawful person, which means he will take old debts and responsibilities seriously, and that he will still feel strongly bound to deal with the overarching threat to the world.

He isn't even the first Lawful Evil person to be willing to help stop Xykon; Tarquin was quite willing to assist Elan. Indeed, Tarquin only switched sides and turned against the Order of the Stick when Nale was able to convince him that it would serve Tarquin's long range goals. That's typical for an orderly character... but what long range goal does Durkon now have, that would override his decision to help the Order beat Xykon?

As he put it, "world still needs savin'." So far, Durkon has been presented with very linear moral choices where being Evil rather than Good doesn't really affect what he does very much.

We'll get a better sense for how (or if) Durkon's personality has changed when we see him in a less restricted environment, one where he deals with more normal NPCs and social rules.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think we'll see the biggest change in Durkon when he comes home. Posthumously, bringing darkness.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

LadyTevar wrote:I think we'll see the biggest change in Durkon when he comes home. Posthumously, bringing darkness.
Maybe that's his long term solution to the sunlight problem: steal the MitD's umbrella.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Well I'm glad they are done with Tarquin at the moment. Julio is right his biggest problem is that he thinks that everything has to always be about him. No matter what happens he may end up dead by the hands of a certain outsider.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sabine is going to have a damn hard time killing any of Tarquin's circle- I'd be interested to see how she sets that up, if she sets that up.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I could see her trying to convince more powerful outsiders to do her a favor. Some would probably even be willing to do it, though the price may not be to Sabine's liking.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Sabine is a Succubus, yes? They can at least 'Alter Self' at a whim. So...assuming she can pull off a convincing enough disguise as some one else (Male or Female) she can get close enough to do some funky physical things. That's not assuming she doesn't start impersonating other people to start sowing discord etc.

How she gets out of the basement to start causing such havoc is the other question, though.
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Getting out of the basement is probably the deal she has to make, I'd say.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Dass.Kapital wrote:Sabine is a Succubus, yes? They can at least 'Alter Self' at a whim. So...assuming she can pull off a convincing enough disguise as some one else (Male or Female) she can get close enough to do some funky physical things.
He has a Ring of True Seeing - the one he caught Nale with. So that wouldn't work.
Dass.Kapital wrote:That's not assuming she doesn't start impersonating other people to start sowing discord etc.
That on the other hand might work, depending on how clever she is about it.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Gaidin wrote:Getting out of the basement is probably the deal she has to make, I'd say.
Like this?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Irbis wrote: Like this?
Well that one strikes me more as asking or calling in a favor more than making a deal to get out of the basement. She was getting a finder's fee there. Getting out of the basement early when stuck there is a bit different than just getting where she needs to go I think.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Am I missing something here? Sabine's not trapped anywhere as far as I know. She was returned to the under planes by the holy word but she can get back, like 24 hours later when her powers return.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

<shrugs>

Figured if things wanted to happen fast it would take a deal. You're not missing anything that I'm aware of.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Crazedwraith wrote:Am I missing something here? Sabine's not trapped anywhere as far as I know. She was returned to the under planes by the holy word but she can get back, like 24 hours later when her powers return.
She is trapped the same way V was trapped on the elemental plane of ranch dressing. She doesn't actually have any inherent ability to get back to the material plane, so unless she's got class levels or an item with that ability, she needs someone else's help.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Grumman wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Am I missing something here? Sabine's not trapped anywhere as far as I know. She was returned to the under planes by the holy word but she can get back, like 24 hours later when her powers return.
She is trapped the same way V was trapped on the elemental plane of ranch dressing. She doesn't actually have any inherent ability to get back to the material plane, so unless she's got class levels or an item with that ability, she needs someone else's help.
I thought she had plane-shift once a day on her own? In the comic link above she was hitching a lift back with a demon to get back early. She actually went back under her own steam iirc.

edit: Yep, shown here
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Getting someone to plane shift her wouldn't be a terribly large favor. Getting someone who could actually cause Tarquin problems would be a large favor. She might be able to sow a little discord by shapeshifting into people and causing a ruckus, but I'm pretty sure Tarquin is smart enough to know about shapeshifters that can do just that and has a way of dealing with it. The ability to assume another person's form isn't exactly unheard of and I'm sure that at least one person with said ability has wanted to disrupt Tarquin's plans. He might be annoyed for a bit, but he'd be able to find her and make sure she's dealt with long-term.

As to plane shifting on her own: SRD indicates she does not have it.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:Getting someone to plane shift her wouldn't be a terribly large favor. Getting someone who could actually cause Tarquin problems would be a large favor. She might be able to sow a little discord by shapeshifting into people and causing a ruckus, but I'm pretty sure Tarquin is smart enough to know about shapeshifters that can do just that and has a way of dealing with it. The ability to assume another person's form isn't exactly unheard of and I'm sure that at least one person with said ability has wanted to disrupt Tarquin's plans. He might be annoyed for a bit, but he'd be able to find her and make sure she's dealt with long-term.

As to plane shifting on her own: SRD indicates she does not have it.
But...the comic indicates she does have it, since she...does it. And says so.