The OotS Thread III

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: The OotS Thread III

Post by LadyTevar »

She has Planes-shift once per day. Therefore, she can make her own way back after the limit of the Holy Word ends.

A pity Nale didn't get to hear her say she loved him before he died.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:She might be able to sow a little discord by shapeshifting into people and causing a ruckus, but I'm pretty sure Tarquin is smart enough to know about shapeshifters that can do just that and has a way of dealing with it.
Like this? :wink:
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

934 up!

Guess who still continues to drag himself into the plot by every mean possible! :twisted:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looks like I yelled out ffs enough already way too early.

eta: this better end in Tarquin been mobbed and killed to death by the order/ airship's crew.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2013-12-07 10:33am, edited 2 times in total.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Wow, a long way off from his collected normal self, huh?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

This is just getting way too old now...
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

new comic is up - 934

it's not over yet...

EDIT: apparently already longer than I thought...
Last edited by Raesene on 2013-12-07 01:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Gaidin wrote:This is just getting way too old now...
Yeah, I was ok up to the escape, but this confrontation is seriously dragging now. It feels like its taken more strips than the Azure City battle.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Tarquin just got conned to hell and back by his son, without his own team knowing about the plan know less. The ones that had a clue didn't really understand what was happening. You'd think this is the kind of progress that, as a bard instead of a fighter, the father would be looking for, but instead it just pisses him off. No. The annoying encounter just drags on. Dude needs to die. With disintegrate.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

V needs to end this one, Disintegrate-style.

Or, possibly, he decides to talk the caster down (blasting her down would be Old-V style, New-V might want to change).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Yeah I am getting really... Really... REALLY Tired of this whole thing...

I am also sick of this utterly obsessive idea of Tarquins that his son should be the "Hero" of the story.
Where the fuck did that ever come from? The whole thing seems really out of 'character' for him. he wants his son to fulfill the archetype of good son, slaying evil dad and taking over the kingdom.. Or something...
But this whole "As long as you have your friends you will never be the 'Hero' so I have to kill them all" is just bat shit crazy.

What happened to the Tarquin who seemed 4 steps ahead of everyone else? Who was calm and planned and saw the constant attempts by the Order to escape, kill him, etc, as a good thing! I mean, hew have had him around the order for HOW long and he just came to this "Oh your NOT the leader?"

Elan from the start told him he's just a bard, and just support... Tarquin seemed FINE with that.

Where the hell is all of this coming from, and WHY do we have to keep dragging it out?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Burlew, stop making the villain be right. For the past year and a half, he has been the antagonist of this series.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Tarquin was fine with the Bard thing because he thought Elan was ruling the party from behind the "leader" who was a figurehead, much like Tarquin was the brains behind the throne of the dragon queen. He's fine with not seeming to be the leader, but not OK with not being the leader.

And this all comes from ego. Tarquin wants to be The Villain, the one about whom tales are told of defeating. If Roy is the leader of the party, that makes all this bullshit with Tarquin a character-building subplot, like the Thieves' Guild story with Haley. As long as Roy is the hero, Xykon is the villain, and that means Tarquin is second (third, after Redcloak) fiddle.

Also, just because I understand doesn't mean I'm not also tired of this fight.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't recall Elan actually ever saying he was just support until Tarquin was making a big deal of it. But even if he did. The situation is exactly analogous to Haley and her dad believing she was the leader. No matter how much Roy said he was Ian just thought it was behind the scenes shenanigans.

But anyway *dons hipster glasses* I was sick of Tarquin before it was cool.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I think we will see the death of Julius now.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

God, Burlew is much too in love with Tarquin. At first he was interesting, now he's just an anchor dragging back plot development.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Has anyone else figured out this whole Elan thing is a result of Tarquin failure to save his son Nale?

The failure to win back his son, the guilt at killing him and causing his dear friend death, all of this seems to have caused a stress disorder that's causing him to fixate on Elan.

And when Elan now exhibits the same defiance as Nale.........................
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Lord Relvenous wrote:God, Burlew is much too in love with Tarquin. At first he was interesting, now he's just an anchor dragging back plot development.
It depends.

Elan's made at least one major breakthrough because of his interaction with Tarquin recently- realizing that his family was never going to get fixed, and that his family members are irretrievably screwed up. This includes Tarquin.

Durkon's undergone a life-altering change which will have major consequences for his interactions with the rest of the party- because of Tarquin, within the last fifty strips.

There's some potential for character development here still, though not so much for plot development.

On the other hand, on the subject of plot development... I think the one thing to bear in mind is that once we're done with Tarquin, the strip is going to proceed towards the final gate and the final confrontation with Xykon within... I honestly suspect the next 200-300 strips. Maybe less. We are in the part of the series where stories must be wrapped up, in a fashion satisfactory to any readers who care about them.

Tarquin comprehensively ended one of our major sideplots within the last twenty strips, too. With Nale finally pissing off someone powerful enough to put an end to him with his chronic, serial arrogance and betrayals, he's disintegrate-gust-of-winded toast. If it takes a few more strips of combat for the party to get free of him, I'm not going to complain.

The main artistic problem here is simply that Tarquin wasn't introduced until Strip 700 or so, so his villainy isn't enough to carry the comic as well as it should. What Burley should be doing is giving the other characters a bit more agency to fight him.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I just want to see how a Caster/Psion fight will end.

But, this is page 41, and like Julius it's a bit long in the tooth. Time to start a New Page!