Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 12:40am
Sith Marauder

First real trailer is up, so I guess it's time to discuss next summer's big DC movie.

Which tells us absolutely nothing about the story that isn't known to the entire world.

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 01:11am
Jedi Master

Teaser trailers rarely give you meaningful info on the plot.

Created by Instant Sunrise.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 03:03am
Sith Acolyte

Wasn't this trailer released quite a while ago?

People debate against me, to help me.

Still having a huge problem with reflex posting. Got to think twice before posting a reply and creating a thread :banghead:

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 06:26am
Sith Acolyte

It does hint at some ideas though (maybe Superman's parents are not fishermen rather than farmers?). The narrator speech did sound interesting.

Dungeon Keeper 3, under a different name, in the works. On kickstarter.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 09:50am
Jedi Council Member

ray245 wrote:
Wasn't this trailer released quite a while ago?

I remember seeing this with "Dark Knight Rises" in the theater last month.

-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 05:29pm
White Mage
White Mage

Actually, it looks to me like some of Kent's roaming before he found The Fortress and joined the Daily Planet.

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-29 09:19pm
is a laughing fool.

I want to see it regardless of what it is about. :) Yes, I'm a shameless Superman fan. :) I even liked Superman Returns along with its flaws.

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-30 12:04am
Emperor's Hand

At the moment, I have no real interest in this. I'm honestly getting sick of Superman adaptions.

As we get closer and more footage is released, then I'd be willing to see it should it look interesting.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-30 12:22am
Youngling

Russel Crowe as Jor-El?
Should be interesting seeing how he handles the role.

[quote=]Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t![/quote]

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-30 05:44pm
Emperor's Hand

If the S shield at the end of the trailer is any indication I suspect I'm really going to dislike the costume.

'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 12:33am
Emperor's Hand

Batman wrote:
If the S shield at the end of the trailer is any indication I suspect I'm really going to dislike the costume.

Seconded.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 12:40am
is a laughing fool.

I'm thinking that the S shown at the end is the one used by Jor-El not the one Supes uses. I hope anyway.

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 01:32am
Emperor's Hand

JME2 wrote:
Batman wrote:

Seconded.

Interestingly enough, not only does the left one have pretty much the traditional chest symbol, but other than the pointless fish scale look it's actually better than what DC currently has Clark wearing.

'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 10:02am
Sith Acolyte

For those not following the comic book continuity madly, what does that look like?

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 12:33pm
Jedi Council Member

Zixinus wrote:
For those not following the comic book continuity madly, what does that look like?

This: http://www.evilsquirrelcomics.com/image ... erman.jpeg

-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 03:39pm
Sith Acolyte

There is barely any difference between the costumes. At best, the comic book one seems unnecessarily tight in displaying Superman's muscles.
Beyond that, I think the costumes are mostly similar.

Compared to Aaron Diaz's redesign of the guy, there is barely any difference.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 06:31pm
White Mage
White Mage

Zixinus wrote:
Compared to Aaron Diaz's redesign of the guy, there is barely any difference.

Please tell me they did not let him continue this madness?

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 08:16pm
Emperor's Hand

Somebody's working with a different definition of 'awesome' than me. Diana's sword looks bent and blue shift at Mach 10? The artist is apparently not very good at math :D

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 08:29pm
Sith Acolyte

I thought I posted this. Probably closed the tab before clicking the submit button.

The reworks was something the artist made on his blog. It is not "official". He merely wanted to make a point about reboots, using his own ideas and interpretations of the characters (I like the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman in particular).

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-08-31 09:00pm
Emperor's Hand

:wtf: Um-you were the one who posted it? It even shows your name in her ladyship's quote?
And the artist is of course free to do whatever he chooses. We are, in turn, free to think it sucks donkey balls and fervently hope his works never become official.
As for the (presumable) movie costume, yeah, it has a lot of similarities to Clark's new 52 duds. The difference is it manages to marginally avoid looking like total shit (at least from that one still, we'll have to see what it actually looks like in action-or even other stills with somebody actually wearing it) while the Boy Scout's current in-universe garments are just close enough to his traditional garb to make the completely pointless changes to it visually fatal in my not the tiniest bit humble opinion.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel PostPosted: 2012-09-01 09:36am
Sith Acolyte

Batman wrote:
:wtf: Um-you were the one who posted it? It even shows your name in her ladyship's quote?

I was going a bit sleep-deprived when I typed that, so don't mind that bit.

I mean that I thought I've already written a post in response to LadyTevar but I didn't understand

Quote:
And the artist is of course free to do whatever he chooses. We are, in turn, free to think it sucks donkey balls and fervently hope his works never become official.

Each to their own, I guess. Just keep in mind, that the author's primary intent was to demonstrate a point about reboots. I, for one, would be curious at a more radical reinterpretation of some of the characters but that's another discussion I guess.

Quote:
As for the (presumable) movie costume, yeah, it has a lot of similarities to Clark's new 52 duds. The difference is it manages to marginally avoid looking like total shit (at least from that one still, we'll have to see what it actually looks like in action-or even other stills with somebody actually wearing it) while the Boy Scout's current in-universe garments are just close enough to his traditional garb to make the completely pointless changes to it visually fatal in my not the tiniest bit humble opinion.

I sincerely can barely tell the difference. I have to look for them. The differences appear subtle at best to be.