Avengers Movie Force Sub: Movie X-Men

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: Avengers Movie Force Sub: Movie X-Men

Post by Ted C »

Shannon wrote:Factors to consider:
1. The movie Avengers (Black Widow, Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Man and Thor) include some very heavy hitters and they all have combat experience ranging from 'some' to 'extensive'. All teams of X-Men also have some heavy hitters, but while being trained (to some degree or other), for the most part they have far less actual combat experience. They could probably deal with the Chitauri infantry and the flyers, but do they have anyone who can take down a Leviathan?
I'd say the only X-Man with real shot at a Leviathan is Magneto.
Shannon wrote: Can Storm interdict the gate as well as Thor did?
Given the number of tornados she whipped up in X2, I think should could do a pretty good job of keeping any flying enemy from being able to get through.
Shannon wrote: Can anyone (safely or otherwise) redirect the nuke to take out the Chitauri mothership?
Once again, Magneto.
Shannon wrote:2. Loki. Do the X-Men have anybody who can smash him (in whatever way)?
Colossus could go toe-to-toe with him. The "blasters" (Cyclops and Havoc) could probably incapacitate him with enough solid hits. I would be very wary of attempting a telepathic attack on him.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Colossus, to my dismay and knowledge, has never been able to go toe-to-toe with Thor or Loki. He is certainly not in the Hulk's class. Most certainly not in M:TA Hulk's class.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Comics Colossus can't stand up to comics Loki/Thor/Hulk. Movie Colossus vs movie Thor/Hulk/Loki? Remember that movie Captain America was not instakilled by Loki (though that may admittedly have been on purpose) and Hawkeye's arrow blowing up in his face did if nothing else take him by surprise and marginally inconvenience him for a while. We both know what comics Loki's reaction would have been.
Also, movie Stark managed to stand up to Thor (at least for a while) without having to break out a purpose built unobtanium custom armour so I don't think we're talking comics power levels here, both relative and absolute.
Unfortunately, especially with the exclusion of X3 I don't think there's any way to determine how strong (or not) movie Colossus is.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Havok wrote:Colossus, to my dismay and knowledge, has never been able to go toe-to-toe with Thor or Loki. He is certainly not in the Hulk's class. Most certainly not in M:TA Hulk's class.
I wouldn't expect Colossus to hold his own against Thor, but in a fist fight, he should be quite capable of matching Loki (even in the comics, it's the magic that makes it uneven there).
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:On the fighter issue, it didn't look to me like the pilot had much choice in closing in on the Hulk, I don't think he would have had a shot from much farther out. Also, what else is he going to use to get the Hulk's attention but the autocannon? Its not like anything he's carrying is going to do much more than piss the Hulk off, anyway, and anything that would, would probably do more collateral damage than it was worth.
Heck, thinking about this in terms of carrier ops, that jet (definitely an F-35) may not even be carrying missiles or bombs.

Planes don't normally spend their time on the decks and hangars of a carrier loaded down with weapons. The weapons are dangerous, expensive to replace if damaged, and can explode and kill people by accident. Suppose someone sent up an F-35 from the helicarrier's sole working runway/launchpad as a measure to get some observation of the carrier's outside, or to try and shoot down the VTOL troop transport or whatever. That belt of 20mm ammo may be the only weapon the plane is even carrying.
Ted C wrote:I'd say the only X-Man with real shot at a Leviathan is Magneto.
How does Colossus compare to Hulk for brute force? Might Cyclops stand a chance if someone could get him into position to laser-eye the gaps in the thing's armor?
Shannon wrote: Can anyone (safely or otherwise) redirect the nuke to take out the Chitauri mothership?
Once again, Magneto.
Though I love the image of Cyclops trying to shoot down the missile with laser-vision from a mile or two away. It might seem unreasonable, but if he can see it he can zap it, and I don't know what his maximum range is... still, it's a desperation ploy, so yeah, Magneto.
Colossus could go toe-to-toe with him. The "blasters" (Cyclops and Havoc) could probably incapacitate him with enough solid hits. I would be very wary of attempting a telepathic attack on him.
Agreed; he's tricksy and his mindscape is probably a maze.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov