A question about Bane from the Dark Knight Rises

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

A question about Bane from the Dark Knight Rises

Post by Zor »

He must wear that mask at all times. How the hell does he eat?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: A question about Bane from the Dark Knight Rises

Post by Gandalf »

I assumed that enough of the mask is removable for him to take quick mouthfuls of things. So he can take a deep breath of whatever it is, hold it, remove the mask, insert food, and put it back on.

Or there's a hole for straws.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

With an IV?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Ahriman238 wrote:With an IV?
He seemed to know how to place a needle very quickly in his entrance.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Can one live a life with a lot of running and punching from an IV feed alone?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The mask doesn't keep him alive, it merely keeps him from suffering incredible amounts of pain.

I would assume he is able to endure the pain for short amounts of time to eat and such but isn't able to do things like fist-fight or drive a motorcycle at high speeds through busy traffic with it off.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

To be fair, the pain seems to knock him on his arse pretty quickly.

- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Gandalf wrote:To be fair, the pain seems to knock him on his arse pretty quickly.
Wasn't that during a fight and a bit of a surprise to boot? I'm guessing if he mentally prepares himself beforehand he can manage.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I would assume he is able to endure the pain for short amounts of time to eat and such but isn't able to do things like fist-fight or drive a motorcycle at high speeds through busy traffic with it off.
Well even having it damaged for a few seconds was enough to put Bane in enough pain to seriously disorient him during a fight.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

it also occured to me Bane could use high protien fluid supositories......

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm sure there is another way to alleviate the pain for short periods of time that allow for consumption of food, or you know, a blender and a straw.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Brushing his teeth must be an issue, it's one of those look cool designs but was made with the intent of making bane look more scary then practical or not being a hinderince to his personal life in any way.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Korgeta wrote:Brushing his teeth must be an issue, it's one of those look cool designs but was made with the intent of making bane look more scary then practical or not being a hinderince to his personal life in any way.
You assume he even has teeth. I imagine some gaping fucked up hole where his mouth should be with the mask holding everything together.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Odd that you see that. Someone mentioned to me that it looks like a goatse mask and now I can't unsee it!
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Hey, if Bane can manage to break into the stock market and take hostages (making world headlines in the process) and still bankrupt a huge multibillion dollar corporation without anybody calling for an investigation or fraud or even ever mentioning it again later, he can probably trick his body into not needing food either. Because he is magically delicious, I mean evil.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Flagg wrote:
Korgeta wrote:Brushing his teeth must be an issue, it's one of those look cool designs but was made with the intent of making bane look more scary then practical or not being a hinderince to his personal life in any way.
You assume he even has teeth. I imagine some gaping fucked up hole where his mouth should be with the mask holding everything together.
He annunciates far to well to not have teeth, lips and and a whole functioning mouth.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Havok wrote:He annunciates far to well to not have teeth, lips and and a whole functioning mouth.
The mask could be translating for him. The tech in the DC universe likely exists for that.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jub wrote:
Havok wrote:He annunciates far to well to not have teeth, lips and and a whole functioning mouth.
The mask could be translating for him. The tech in the DC universe likely exists for that.
main DC sure, but isn't the point of the Nolanverse that it's essentially modern earth.

also isn't simpler to assume that he has a normal mouth and uses other means to eat say for example stronger painkillers, then to assume he has no mouth and the mask some how has has the technology to translate the noises his throat makes in to clear speech and still have enough room for the injection systems for the painkillers he needs.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote:main DC sure, but isn't the point of the Nolanverse that it's essentially modern earth.

also isn't simpler to assume that he has a normal mouth and uses other means to eat say for example stronger painkillers, then to assume he has no mouth and the mask some how has has the technology to translate the noises his throat makes in to clear speech and still have enough room for the injection systems for the painkillers he needs.
It would be pointless be sure, but then again this is a comic based license and you just never know.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jub wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:main DC sure, but isn't the point of the Nolanverse that it's essentially modern earth.

It would be pointless be sure, but then again this is a comic based license and you just never know.
you never know for absolutly sure true, but for the most part Nolan staid true to the "essentially modern earth" vision for the first 2 films (I haven't seen the third yet) and when he did deviate he tended to show/foreshadow it, so assume something that's totally impossible today and has no foreshadowing in the film seems illogical to me.

not to mention there's a much simpler way to explain it that's possible with modern tech. Most (if not all) really strong pain medication tends to reduce your reformance considerbly, so it wouldn't be odd for Bane to use a weaker drug in his mask as long as it's strong enough.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote:you never know for absolutly sure true, but for the most part Nolan staid true to the "essentially modern earth" vision for the first 2 films (I haven't seen the third yet) and when he did deviate he tended to show/foreshadow it, so assume something that's totally impossible today and has no foreshadowing in the film seems illogical to me.

not to mention there's a much simpler way to explain it that's possible with modern tech. Most (if not all) really strong pain medication tends to reduce your reformance considerbly, so it wouldn't be odd for Bane to use a weaker drug in his mask as long as it's strong enough.
You're obviously right, I was just making jokes about how comic book based things tend to go the moment a genius decides something needs explaining.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Here's the thing. Painkillers don't magically get flushed out of your system the moment you stop ingesting it. In real life, what happens is that syringe drivers or other constant delivery system are present to give you low yield doses, so as to promote maximum pain relief with minimal side effects. And the standard advice is before you do something that will cause more pain or interrupt pain delivery.... just give a breakthrough, systematic dose in advance.

Bane mask poses more problems than eating though. Breathing in a drug means you're getting systematic relief as opposed to a local, with the advent of transdermal patches,well, a syringe driver isn't needed for people who are still active. There isn't any painkillers which are administered through breathing..... save for stuff like marijuana and anaesthesia. Maybe some other pain adjuvants too.

I leave it to your imagination just what is Bane breathing through that mask.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

It is clearly the smoke created by burning the cocoons of gypsy moths.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Lord Revan wrote: main DC sure, but isn't the point of the Nolanverse that it's essentially modern earth.
Tell that to the rotors on the bottom of the batcopter
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

JLTucker wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:With an IV?
He seemed to know how to place a needle very quickly in his entrance.
I didn't quite understand why he did that.

Worth noting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZW5qyc2g6U
Last edited by ryacko on 2012-09-10 01:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.