Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

Post by Captain Seafort »

Block wrote:Again, how is that actually important to the story of the Hobbit? I know all of the backstory, I've read all of the books, but frankly the Hobbit does just fine on its own without all that extra stuff. In fact it's probably better without the extra, because it's a well paced as is, the animated version was pretty much perfect as far as the storyline to follow without being slow.
It works fine as it is as a stand alone story, but once you start looking at it in the context of the War of the Ring it becomes far richer for the additional material, because with hindsight you can see the opening moves of the war - key pieces being moved into place or eliminated. It one of, if not the best aspect of the world Tolkein created - individual stories hold up well on their own, but the more layers he added the better they became.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Block wrote:Again, how is that actually important to the story of the Hobbit? I know all of the backstory, I've read all of the books, but frankly the Hobbit does just fine on its own without all that extra stuff. In fact it's probably better without the extra, because it's a well paced as is, the animated version was pretty much perfect as far as the storyline to follow without being slow.
Its not important to the story of 'The Hobbit', but with the inclusion of the third movie Jackson is creating a 6-movie story that tells the entire 'War of the Ring'.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Captain Seafort wrote:
It works fine as it is as a stand alone story, but once you start looking at it in the context of the War of the Ring it becomes far richer for the additional material, because with hindsight you can see the opening moves of the war - key pieces being moved into place or eliminated. It one of, if not the best aspect of the world Tolkein created - individual stories hold up well on their own, but the more layers he added the better they became.
Well I guess that's kinda what my objection is, I didn't really care for Jackson's interpretation of the LOTR. Basically everything he changed made things worse than the books, and I'd rather not see that happen with the first non-children's book I ever read.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Block wrote:Well I guess that's kinda what my objection is, I didn't really care for Jackson's interpretation of the LOTR. Basically everything he changed made things worse than the books, and I'd rather not see that happen with the first non-children's book I ever read.
He made a mess of the second two movies certainly, but the chances of that happening with The Hobbit are a lot less, as the book itself is a lot vaguer, and so lends itself better to a screen adaptation. The applies doubly so to the actions of the White Council during the period, given that they're mentioned only in the form of the vaguest of historical notes.

And if you're talking about the Hobbit rather than LotR when you talk of a "non-children's book", you're sorely mistaken.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm coming in late, but I have mixed feelings about this.

One one hand, it feels like a money-grabbing stunt. On the other hand, we've come full circle with del Toro's original proposal for the adaption and if Jackson can pull it off, I'd be curious to see it work.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Block wrote:Well I guess that's kinda what my objection is, I didn't really care for Jackson's interpretation of the LOTR. Basically everything he changed made things worse than the books, and I'd rather not see that happen with the first non-children's book I ever read.
He made a mess of the second two movies certainly, but the chances of that happening with The Hobbit are a lot less, as the book itself is a lot vaguer, and so lends itself better to a screen adaptation. The applies doubly so to the actions of the White Council during the period, given that they're mentioned only in the form of the vaguest of historical notes.

And if you're talking about the Hobbit rather than LotR when you talk of a "non-children's book", you're sorely mistaken.
I mean as opposed to Encylopedia Brown, the Hardy Boys, Curious George, stuff like that.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I always thought it was rather annoying to have the Purging of the Necromancer as "oh, the elves were off doing this", or a historical note in the timeline. Once the Necromancer was tied to Sauron, it just seemed like a footnote. I have to wonder if Tolkien was going to edit it into its own book.

Although his last books were less novels and more dry history than anything Interesting. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The freaking Lord of the Rings was a trilogy of history books with a narrative tacked on as an afterthought. The only Ring War books that were actually fun were 'The Hobbit', and (marginally) 'The Fewllowship of the Ring'. The second and third movie being far less compelling than the first was essentialy due to the failure of the source material, and even so they managed to be a lot more fun than the books they were based on.
I don't want a lecture on the history of Middle Earth. I want the Hobbit.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman wrote:I don't want a lecture on the history of Middle Earth. I want the Hobbit.
I don't want a lecture either, I want to see an EPIC.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I want a lecture. Maybe with some nice maps and scenes of things happening.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Read the damn books then. They've been there for the taking for half a century or more. When I go to the movies, I want entertainment.And for me, the history of Middle Earth does not qualify as such.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote:Read the damn books then. They've been there for the taking for half a century or more. When I go to the movies, I want entertainment.And for me, the history of Middle Earth does not qualify as such.
I did read the book. Now I want pictures.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Heck it's your money. I still think the movies would be a lot better off concentrating on the actual novel but as long as nobody's making me watch them who am I to argue if that's the kind of movie you want?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Exactly. ;)

I like exposition in films, and had the first LoTR film just been hours of The Council of Elrond, I would have seen it more than five times. Of course, I also like action. So if a lecture could segue into a fight scene, I'd be set.

- George Carlin
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Its not important to the story of 'The Hobbit', but with the inclusion of the third movie Jackson is creating a 6-movie story that tells the entire 'War of the Ring'.
Yeah. I'd bet people financing the Hobbit asked him to include cast from previous movies 'for continuity's sake' so that typical moviegoer has no doubts they're the same successful series (and it thus more motivated to spend money). At which point writers went over original material again, found something filmable White Council actually did in the book (thus, less whining about changes from tryhard Tolkien fans) and thrown it in during boring parts of journey to satisfy both requirements.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Okay serious question here
How many years until the ultra special edition hits with all six movies and an extra twenty hours of content, assuming they keep the four discs per special edition formal that's means the six movies will have twenty four blue rays total for a combined total something like six hundred gigabytes of data for six movies. I assume the entire thing will be bundled with the ultra special 25th disc for the 2025 twenty year anniversary.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

By then, we'll be over-joyed to get it (although probably not in disc format), and we'll be bitching about how it's the real Lord of the Rings film version, and not that crappy 2021 Full-CGI Trilogy Remake.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Mr Bean wrote:Okay serious question here
How many years until the ultra special edition hits with all six movies and an extra twenty hours of content, assuming they keep the four discs per special edition formal that's means the six movies will have twenty four blue rays total for a combined total something like six hundred gigabytes of data for six movies. I assume the entire thing will be bundled with the ultra special 25th disc for the 2025 twenty year anniversary.
I'd guess 5 years, assuming they're going to be putting out 1 film a year starting december 2013.
ImageImage
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

LOL, I'll start the campaign now, Aragon shot first.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LadyTevar wrote:
Batman wrote:I don't want a lecture on the history of Middle Earth. I want the Hobbit.
I don't want a lecture either, I want to see an EPIC.
Then you don't want The Hobbit.

The Hobbit is the story of Bilbo going There and Back Again. It is not the story of necromancers or prequels to the Lord of the Rings, and should not be bent out of shape until it is, because that can only dilute the narrative drive of what the story is actually about (hint: It is about an unassuming person finding reserves of character in extreme circumstances). It's not even an epic, despite the events that happen being fit for one, because of the perspective and character of Bilbo.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Can't the exact same thing be said about LotR, though? Frodo goes there and back again, epic stuff happens in background. Another unassuming person that fails the quest this time around, you can cut, say, Pelennor Fields out the same way Necromancer wasn't shown in Hobbit, little of the above would be lost.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Irbis wrote:Can't the exact same thing be said about LotR, though? Frodo goes there and back again, epic stuff happens in background. Another unassuming person that fails the quest this time around, you can cut, say, Pelennor Fields out the same way Necromancer wasn't shown in Hobbit, little of the above would be lost.
The thing is, the Hobbit is literally the story of Bilbo, from his point of view. We see almost nothing unless Bilbo sees it or it is directly about him. The Fellowship series follows the adventures of the nine, jumping around extensively and staying on certain characters for an extended period of time.

The Hobbit is about the Hobbit, but the Fellowship is about the entire Fellowship.
ImageImage
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I don't think it's invalid for a new depiction of art to change the focus. Jackson likes making cinema epics; if that means telling the story of "Bilbo and the thirteen dwarves and other important stuff happening elsewhere at the same time," then maybe it'll be a good story even if it lacks the homely charm Tolkein wrote into it.

I only feel like complaining about a movie adaptation of a book that reimagines what the book is about if it's bad.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So a "new" trailer was released within the last day or so. Fair warning, it isn't substantially different from the one everyone has seen already, but there are a few new bits and pieces. And it seems to be available in 3D (click on the gear symbol on the player toolbar). So for the sake of the completionists among us, enjoy:

Here is the first one, if you feel like comparing the two. See if you can spot the differences!

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I've never bought a movie soundtrack in my life, but I'm going to get the one for Hobbit.
ImageImage