Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." - Abba Eban, Israeli statesman (1915-2002)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-08-24 10:51am
NERRRRRDS!!!

Arawn Fenn wrote:
aieeegrunt wrote:
Guy takes a book that was always thought to be impossible to film

Thanks to a lack of CGI in earlier eras.

aieeegrunt wrote:
and knocks it out of the fucking park.

Thanks to CGI.

Lord of the Rings actually used significantly less CGI than one would expect. It was used for obvious stuff like the Eye of Sauron, Trolls, Ents, and various forms of magic. But they put a lot of work into perspective tricks to, for example, make the actors playing Hobbits appear Hobbit-sized without having to use any CGI.

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-08-24 02:22pm
Youngling

DesertFly wrote:
Just because certain themes and elements appealed to him so much that he couldn't help but include them in an unrelated work does not mean that it was ever intended to be linked.

I don't think I'm the one being dense here. If the characters in The Hobbit get their weapons from a treasure trove that originated in Gondolin, how is The Hobbit an "unrelated work"?

DesertFly wrote:
Remember, the original edition had references to (iirc, among others) policemen and China. Does this mean that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth?

Policemen and China LOL.

No, I think the most obvious clue that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth was the use of birthday presents. And dragons.

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-08-24 08:49pm
Emperor's Hand

Arawn Fenn wrote:
DesertFly wrote:
Just because certain themes and elements appealed to him so much that he couldn't help but include them in an unrelated work does not mean that it was ever intended to be linked.

I don't think I'm the one being dense here. If the characters in The Hobbit get their weapons from a treasure trove that originated in Gondolin, how is The Hobbit an "unrelated work"?

It doesn't. Neither does it make the fact those weapons are from Gondolin in any way shape or form relevant to the story of the book.
Quote:
DesertFly wrote:
Remember, the original edition had references to (iirc, among others) policemen and China. Does this mean that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth?

Policemen and China LOL.
No, I think the most obvious clue that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth was the use of birthday presents. And dragons.

I as usually don't get the joke. And as someone who DOES live on modern-day Earth (if not the real one) and DOES have to deal with dragons from time to time I don't find that part of your point necessarily all that convincing. :P

'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kids with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-08-26 11:40am
Jedi Council Member

*winces*

Thanks for pointing out that typo Spoonist...obviously I meant LOTR...

Lord of The Rings though shouldn't be much of a judge on the Hobbit. At least the parts that are actually from the Hobbit book. They are two very different stories, and it shows to those who read them. So for the actual Hobbit parts I'm going to judge Jackson on his talent, not how he did LOTR. The Ring War stuff though...that's closer to his older movies, so I can judge them compared to LOTR. :P

SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-08-26 12:11pm
Youngling

Batman wrote:
Neither does it make the fact those weapons are from Gondolin in any way shape or form relevant to the story of the book.

I guess that's true, although it does explain why Sting's enchantment is so reliable.

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-09-19 11:51am
Sith Devotee

New trailer:

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-09-19 11:54am
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Location: The Great, Green Pacific Northwest! It's Raining...
Looks tits. Can't wait.

The Liberal Hate Machine
Kill them all!
-The Governor

Post subject: Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie PostPosted: 2012-09-20 10:27pm
Youngling

I cannot wait for this movie to come out!