The Dark Knight Rises (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JLTucker
BANNED

The Dark Knight Rises (Spoilers)

Post by JLTucker »

Someone may as well make a thread.

It's out on Friday and the reviews are coming in. So far it is extremely well-liked. I personally have zero expectations for it because I can't stand Nolan as a filmmaker and the Dark Knight never held up for me on subsequent viewings. Its sequel has one thing going for it, though: the Joker is absent.

I'll just leave the thread here so people can get into it as the week progresses.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Spoilers)

Post by Batman »

The only reason I know of Nolan to begin with are the recent Me movies (if you'd asked me to name any other movie he was involved with I'd have to pass) and those were brilliant (despite my documented hatred of the suits). What is it you dislike about Nolan in general and his Me movies in particular?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I find him visually bland and I don't like the way female characters are written. Though I don't think the female problem will be an issue here because at the moment I can't of a reason why Bats would be a whiny baby because of Catwoman. Also, the exclusion of Joker will be amazing because it may not be a contrived mess like TDK was.

For a second there I had to wonder what the crap "Me movies" meant but then I looked to my left and saw your username. :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That I insist I'm actually positively Me isn't exactly a recent phenomenon you know. The Joker not being in it was a forgone conclusion what with Heith Ledger being dead and how was TDK a contrived mess?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Batman wrote:That I insist I'm actually positively Me isn't exactly a recent phenomenon you know. The Joker not being in it was a forgone conclusion what with Heith Ledger being dead and how was TDK a contrived mess?
I've been absent from the forum for a while.

Everything had to work perfectly for the Joker's omniscient abilities to work. But that's not really the biggest issue I have with TDK. My main issues lie with the writing and the heavy-handed commentary on the political realm in America. You know, the Patriot Act reference and the unsubtle "no one should have this much power" stuff. Usually that's not a problem for me if what I'm watching is that way from the start (like Sorkin's Newsroom, where he preaches like hell because he sees this ideal world for news broadcast). I just don't think it works with TDK. Plus, the action is so damned boring and the elongated run time plays a part in the third act falling to pieces with set piece after set piece of action and inane chaos and anarchy commentary that is in no way insightful or engaging.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-I've been insisting I'm actually Batman for like ten years?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Dude, is this something that's really bothering you? Of all that I've written in this thread, me not immediately recognizing your poor joke is something that's off-putting? I just didn't catch it when I read your post for the first time. Jesus.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

It's something that I'm used to people knowing since I've been doing it pretty much since I've joined this board. No, it doesn't bother me, I'm just no longer used to people not knowing.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Whoever goes to see the movie, let us know your impression on the Superman trailer\teaser that is supposed to show (AFAIK) before TDKR starts. I'm hoping the Superman movie will do better than the last since it is reported that the main villain is Zod but I still have the nagging feeling that Cavill's Supes still looks like he's part of the Sicilian Mob. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

I'm seeing it Saturday meaning I will certainly know everything about it BEFORE I go in.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Wait, what, there's a new Superman movie coming?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Batman wrote:Wait, what, there's a new Superman movie coming?
No, No. They're not making a Superman movie, they're making a Man of Steel movie. That's next summer though.

Why are you surprised? You and Clark are the twin pillars holding up DC's bottomline and always have been.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm not surprised they're doing it, I'm surprised because this the first time I heard of it.
World's Greatest Detective my
Shut up.
And given how not awesome Superman Returns was I'm not necessarily thrilled about them doing another Clark movie.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Batman wrote:I'm not surprised they're doing it, I'm surprised because this the first time I heard of it.
World's Greatest Detective my
Shut up.
And given how not awesome Superman Returns was I'm not necessarily thrilled about them doing another Clark movie.
Yeah, I believe Zack Synder's directing. But don't worry so much Bats, this won't follow from that piece of shit. In fact, they're going to do away with all previous movie continuity and open on a rural couple finding a baby that can lift their truck. Something exciting that the fans have never seen before. :wink:
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
One Two
Youngling

Post by One Two »

JLTucker wrote:Someone may as well make a thread.

It's out on Friday and the reviews are coming in. So far it is extremely well-liked. I personally have zero expectations for it because I can't stand Nolan as a filmmaker and the Dark Knight never held up for me on subsequent viewings. Its sequel has one thing going for it, though: the Joker is absent.

I'll just leave the thread here so people can get into it as the week progresses.
So ... you made a thread about the Dark Knight Rises a week before the movie even comes out (having not seen it yourself). And you're using it as a forum to bitch about Nolan why ... ? No one is even talking about the movie this thread is supposed to be about.

Hey, I have no interest in seeing Step Up Revolution next week, so I guess I'll make a thread about that in a bit.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm really looking forward to it. The Dark Knight is easily my favorite comic book movie, and I want to see how it all ends.

As for Nolan's take, well, it's not for everybody. I'm betting the next reboot of Batman (likely in 2014-15) will be lighter and cheesier. I say "2014" because DC doesn't have any other successful comic book franchises out there, so you can bet they'll re-boot Batman ASAP.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

One Two wrote:
JLTucker wrote:So ... you made a thread about the Dark Knight Rises a week before the movie even comes out (having not seen it yourself). And you're using it as a forum to bitch about Nolan why ... ? No one is even talking about the movie this thread is supposed to be about.

Hey, I have no interest in seeing Step Up Revolution next week, so I guess I'll make a thread about that in a bit.
Oh fuck off, you little shit. I already bought a ticket to see it earlier this month. I made the thread just to get things started since critic reviews were coming in, as could be deduced by the opening post. Thanks for your non-contribution, the bastion of SDN these days when it comes to art.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I want to apologize for the inflammatory remark, One Two. You asked a simple question and it has a simple answer.

To clarify, even though I do not like TDK, I was invited by a friend to see this. I have never seen a film on an IMAX screen and it's because of this that we're trekking 40 miles to see it to make a day out of it. I also saw the other two theatrically so the OCD in me said "complete the trilogy on the big screen."
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Just saw the movie. It is really quite epic in scope. Spoiler
Miranda Tate is taila, batman didn't die and we get to see robin in the movie
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Haven't seen it obviously but the creators of Bane are real mad that Rush thought he was an attempt to mock Romney instead of the real bad guys, Occupiers.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Just saw it. It's as good as TDK, but I'm hesitant to call it better. I picked the whole plot about twenty minutes in, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

The highlight was probably the first Batman/Bane fight. An out of shape Batman gets his clock cleaned, with the famous back breaker.

Also, I liked the ending overall. The Robin thing was weird, but I've no issue with it.

No Superman trailer.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Haven't seen it yet, but I remember getting into fights with fanboys back when TDK came out about how I was a whiny bitch for not being a fan of the treatment of Babs jnr and Renee Montoya Anna Ramirez. The argument was that of COURSE James jnr would be given all the scenes, because Nolan wanted to steer clear of Batgirls and Robins because ew icky.

So having said that, if the rumours are true that Spoiler
Dick Grayson is in this movie
I'm going to be a little pissed off.

...and thrilled, because yay.

And pissed off.

Probably mostly pissed off because Bale's Peter Serafinowicz impression drives me bonkers.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Extra thoughts:

I liked the theme of the film relating to Gotham's "underclasses." It worked well with similar themes in Batman Begins. When people are marginalised, they don't disappear.

Killer Croc reference!

I have a ridiculously small role in the film. The Bane chant heard on the soundtrack used thousands of voices from around the world, one of which belonged to yours truly.

Well acted all around, especially Michael Caine.

Also, this is the least annoying Catwoman ever. Thank fuck she finally has a decent motivation for stuff, basically trying to be Robin Hood.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Before I go into my review, I was strongly recommend that you watch Batman Begins (if you haven't) to understand this film better. This film has more in common with Batman Begins than TDK. In a way, you can probably skip the second movie and still understand this movie pretty well. However, if you are not familiar with the first one, there are certain elements in the movie that might confuse you.

A much longer review and my thoughts on the movie:
Spoiler
This movie was supposedly inspired by the 1966 French movie titled "The Battle of Algiers" and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. However, I believe that this movie never really captured the soul of those two stories. The Dark Knight Rises never really bothered to explain why it is inspired by them.

In a way, I felt that the film left too much things unseen and unsaid for the audience to truly understand the theme of the movie. The whole class warfare angle wasn't fully developed because we didn't get to see the rich poor divide in Gotham. We get occasionally hints of it here and there, but that's all.

In order to understand the ordinary citizens' anger towards the rich, Nolan should let us see just how bad things have gotten for the poor and how much harder it is for people to climb themselves out of poverty.

This also confuses the audience when it comes down to understanding the motivation of Bane. Is Bane targeting the rich in Gotham because of their lack of apathy towards the rest of Gotham? What does Bane truly want with Gotham? This are questions that was not raised nor answered in TDKR.

Another thing that I have a problem with is how Nolan made Batman retired immediately after the 2nd movie. One would assume that Batman would have carried on fighting crime until the police brought things under control, as well as being hounded by the police to his breaking point. It didn't really do justice to the ending of the second film.

The third problem I have with the story is the unnecessary plot twist, where Miranda was revealed to be Taila. It simply doesn't add anything to the story, nor does it help develop a central theme of the movie, that there are people that can help maintain the legacy of Bruce's parents. It also at the same time, undermines the relationship between Bruce and Miranda.

I would give this film a 8/10.

P.S.

By the way, if you look closely, you will see that Selinia Kyle was the lady sitting with Bruce Wayne towards the end.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ray, when you say "the audience," do you mean yourself?

Because the story points you mentioned as confusing seemed pretty damn obvious.

- George Carlin