Armour of Game of Thrones (TV show)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Re: Armour of Game of Thrones (TV show)

Post by Pelranius »

Seems to bear a close resemblance to Stormlands armor than any other, but that's to be expected to some extent. They're not going to make them fancy as Lannister armor, and Dornish armor is too little for their style (though I expected Doran's guards to have something heavier than that padded armor).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Anybody else notice the very early rapier the Dornish prince had? Looked very good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

White Walkers!

Thanas wrote:Anybody else notice the very early rapier the Dornish prince had? Looked very good.
Here's an ultra hi-res:

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/g ... ires/7.jpg

And from the previous episode, a better look at the Tyrell men:

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Do you happen to have a sideview of the Rapier?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sorry no - these are ultra hi-res publicity shots from the episodes themselves, almost exclusively. We should get a good look at them at the next Game of Thrones expo, though. They add the new season's new props every year.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I wonder if that thing on the Night King's breastplate is his sigil, or just a simple choker?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Pelranius wrote:I wonder if that thing on the Night King's breastplate is his sigil, or just a simple choker?
It's theorized as a sigil since it has the Tower of Nightfort, someone did a graphical breakdown showing it's in three parts. And it's just like the designers to sneak in something obvious like here's the Night King's sigil... but it's black on black on black and that's not where your looking.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Thanas wrote:Anybody else notice the very early rapier the Dornish prince had? Looked very good.
Not that early if it's got a clamshell guard like that. The earliest rapiers were open ring hilt designs. It does look swanky, though I don't think I'd want the extra weight of that big snake coiling around the guard.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That's why I need to see a sideview, because I am unsure if it is a clamshell guard at all.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It's theorized as a sigil since it has the Tower of Nightfort, someone did a graphical breakdown showing it's in three parts. And it's just like the designers to sneak in something obvious like here's the Night King's sigil... but it's black on black on black and that's not where your looking.
Really? We've barely seen the Nightfort, how'd they figure that?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Thanas wrote:That's why I need to see a sideview, because I am unsure if it is a clamshell guard at all.
It's definitely a half shell with a pierced plate. There's nothing else that could be; you can see the inside of the plate.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Thanas wrote:That's why I need to see a sideview, because I am unsure if it is a clamshell guard at all.
It's definitely a half shell with a pierced plate. There's nothing else that could be; you can see the inside of the plate.
The other part of the hilt just look very Italian 16th century, but why put a clamshell there at all? Very curious to see if they got a historical basis for that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Probably because he didn't want to get his hand stabbed, the same as why plates were eventually put on the ring guards historically. Early shell guards were just plates over a ring hilt, after all. I've seen swords with only a single plate as well, which is what this seems to have, though I can't say with 100% certainty that they're historically accurate.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

For example, it is similar to the wallace collection Dussack

and many other blades - mostly pallash (straight cavalry swords, coexisting with sabres - for the uninitiated :D ) type.

This kind of one-sided clamshell is used when you have to expect fighting against slashing weapons and you don't want to bother with a gauntlet all the time - it's basically plate armor for the outer side of the hilt. It's an in-between step between a basket hilt arming sword and a proper rapier. It's usually on the outer side, protecting the back of your hand where you expect hard strikes, while the fingers are only protected by a knuckle bow guard.

For someone using a rapier in a land full of sabre-fighters, a good idea.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The thing is though he already got that oversized snake protecting his hands, anything in between there would be a very fortuitous strike. Might be far better to just either go full Pappenheimer and lose the extra tendons, or have the quillons protect him. With that huge snake the weight must already be pretty heavy on that side.
------------
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

If you look closely, the snake is just a fancy rim of the clamshell, a very badly placed loop guard - much too low. Other than that, it only has forward and rear arms, but no side rings. Thus, it has almost no defensive value if you don't fill the space between it and wher the side rings should be.

This design puts a pierced plate in there, doing away with most of the side rings. It will be a bit more heavy, but I doubt it weighs much more than a more regular design - maybe 100 grams extra. Not so much that it would really hamper use, as most of the weight is very close to the hand.

It is a fancy royal teenager show-off weapon, remember.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

WHITE WALKERS
Just looking at these pictures, I'd almost call the texture "Rubber". Yes, I know it's not, but that's the 'feel' I get from it.

It's most likely inch-wide strips of leather, sewn overlapping the lower stripe to get the chevron pattern the second Walker has. The pauldrons and chestplate confuse me. They're leather as well, with either oblong studs or thinner strips of leather woven through pierced slits. The second method has no realy protective value as far as I can fanthom. It seems just decorative.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Could be leather thonging, to attatch to the jerkin, getting snug fit. Not sure why, but they seem to prefer it tight. Perhaps so it's not flapping about in those blizzard winds?

Still, fairly light leather armour would protect against sharpened obsidian, I'd imagine.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

when you consider that obsidian and valyrian steel are the only things that seem to hurt the White Walker in any signifigant degree it could be possible that what "armor" they got is more to show of rank or to intimidate then to actually protect them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

LaCroix wrote:If you look closely, the snake is just a fancy rim of the clamshell, a very badly placed loop guard - much too low. Other than that, it only has forward and rear arms, but no side rings. Thus, it has almost no defensive value if you don't fill the space between it and wher the side rings should be.

This design puts a pierced plate in there, doing away with most of the side rings. It will be a bit more heavy, but I doubt it weighs much more than a more regular design - maybe 100 grams extra. Not so much that it would really hamper use, as most of the weight is very close to the hand.
from what I remember the snake looked very massive, but I don't have screenshots so I'll concede that. But filling in the space isn't really necessary, many rapiers do not do so.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote:
WHITE WALKERS
Just looking at these pictures, I'd almost call the texture "Rubber". Yes, I know it's not, but that's the 'feel' I get from it.

It's most likely inch-wide strips of leather, sewn overlapping the lower stripe to get the chevron pattern the second Walker has. The pauldrons and chestplate confuse me. They're leather as well, with either oblong studs or thinner strips of leather woven through pierced slits. The second method has no realy protective value as far as I can fanthom. It seems just decorative.
If we're thinking armour against obsidian, I'm reminded of the Aztecs-- quilted fabric was what they used, IIRC.

It does look kinda rubbery but it's probably just dark leather in low light. Given how the White Walkers don't have to worry about (most) weapons, I don't have much issue with the idea that their armour is mostly decorative in nature, especially now that most of Westeros is ill equipped to fight them anyway.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Thanas wrote:
LaCroix wrote:If you look closely, the snake is just a fancy rim of the clamshell, a very badly placed loop guard - much too low. Other than that, it only has forward and rear arms, but no side rings. Thus, it has almost no defensive value if you don't fill the space between it and wher the side rings should be.

from what I remember the snake looked very massive, but I don't have screenshots so I'll concede that. But filling in the space isn't really necessary, many rapiers do not do so.
It is pretty massive, about 2/3 rds of the size of a finger, but the quillions, knuckle guard and the arms are very thin to make up for the weight.

A version of this kind of hilt was quite common for a Schiavona - which is a ancestor/battlefield version of the rapier.

And as the "Sinclair hilt" on Dussack/Saber types:
http://www.antique-swords.eu/B45-17C-Sc ... essak.html

We do know that for a proper rapier, the rings alone suffice. But this is a rapier in a country where the prominent sword is a light saber. And nobody esle seems to use this kind of sword, as far as I can see - so this is a one of a kind weapon, where the smith is trying something new and fancy, probably roughly based on a blade or description given by a bravosi teacher.

In this regard, it's like Aria's Needle, which is also a prototype weapon.
It has a smallsword triangular stabbing blade, but with something akin to a 'Grosse Messer'/'Lange Messer' hilt (only crossguard and an outer ring), instead of the double clamshells. It doesn't even have finger rings, which would be pretty much essential for a weapon like this.

For both blades, the smith did have some good ideas, but the design could be improved upon.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'd say the hilt is actually along the lines of what's called a 'pillow sword' or 'sash sword'.

It strikes me that for weight the snake could possibly be gilded leather sleeved upon a steel quillion? It doesn't look quite like that but who knows. Hollow-cast (lost wax method) is also possible, and if he's a prince, he can afford it.

Cute flowers on the hanger, though :P
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

LaCroix wrote:
Thanas wrote:

It is pretty massive, about 2/3 rds of the size of a finger, but the quillions, knuckle guard and the arms are very thin to make up for the weight.

A version of this kind of hilt was quite common for a Schiavona - which is a ancestor/battlefield version of the rapier.
Eh...no. The Schianova was not a battlefield version of the rapier, nor its ancestor. It's design goes back to broadswords of the renaissance/balkans, not the rapier.

Anyway, I finally got a hold of a proper angle of the rapier. Looks much more tame and ordinary than I remember it.
Seems all it is really are some quillons formed like the snake and ordinary on the other side, with clamshells added. There is almost a direct parallel to that in the Solingen blade museum.
------------
------------
My LPs