Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 04:29pm
Sith Acolyte

The Idea, a Toy Story movie focused around video game characters. A bad guy from an old arcade standup game similar to Donkey Kong decides that he is fed up with being forced to get thrown off a building and disliked all the time so he decides to try to become a a Video Game hero.

Zor

HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 05:00pm
Sith Acolyte

Seems fun. Is this a SERIOUS effort, i.e., Disney is actually planning to put this in theaters? Or is this a fan creation, as the cameos- Bowser, M. Bison/Vega, and other characters to whom royalties must be paid to the copyright holders- suggest?

Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 05:02pm
Carvin' Marvin

Disney releases fan films in theaters in Real3D now?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin

My Fundie Guide The World Has Ended.....Life Goes On

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 05:07pm
Sith Marauder

Could be they'll be doing the same rights acquiring that they did for the Toy Story movies, as they have the proof that if a character shows in their movies, it does amazingly well. Mr. Potato Head being a prime example.

This does look good, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed,or numbered. I am a free man. My life is my own" Number 6
The Prisoner

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 05:08pm
Jedi Council Member

Sidewinder wrote:
Seems fun. Is this a SERIOUS effort, i.e., Disney is actually planning to put this in theaters? Or is this a fan creation, as the cameos- Bowser, M. Bison/Vega, and other characters to whom royalties must be paid to the copyright holders- suggest?

The relevant Wikipedia article is approximately one year old and is thoroughly sourced. If this is a fan-film/joke, it is an exceptionally well done one.

Reference webpages for fanfic writers.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 05:41pm
Sith Acolyte

Sidewinder wrote:

Its Legit.

Zor

Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-06 10:11pm
Padawan Learner

Wow... this is... epic.

Though when you think about it, Disney isn't too shy to make crossovers with other companies characters. There was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Toy Story (with all the toys), Kingdom Hearts, and that one Cartoon All-Stars drug PSA thing that wasn't very good.

Though I'm curious how terrible the inevitable "video game based on the movie" is going to be. Hopefully not as bad as making a FPS based on the Battleship movie. I mean it shouldn't be too bad if all these video game companies are involved but we all know movie based games are always terrible.

Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-07 07:35am
Jedi Council Member

Chun-Li and Bison? This is going to be good :twisted:

I wonder though, is it recolored "blood" when Ralph hits the pavement after losing game? And who is blue skinned elf lady in the villain meeting? I can't recall her. Original character? How come no one made frame-by-frame analysis on any of the major gaming sites yet?

Edit: Rossum, Disney seems to already made game based on the movie :wink:

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-07 11:26am
Sith Acolyte

Man, they got someone from pretty much every major gaming company from the beginning through the early 90s represented. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Midway (A Warner Brothers subsidiary these days). . .

All we need now is someone from Squarenix to show up and the thing will be complete. Not that they really do arcade style games . . .

But if Sora shows up, I think the universe will implode.

ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-07 02:43pm
Emperor's Hand

Sidewinder wrote:

No, for the fan creation you want this one:

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-07 03:10pm
Jedi Council Member

Majin Gojira wrote:
All we need now is someone from Squarenix to show up and the thing will be complete. Not that they really do arcade style games . . .

But if Sora shows up, I think the universe will implode.

No, what really will make universe explode is appearance of TF2 characters. Sniper? Spy? Heavy?

"Right behind you" would make noise of a million geeks crying in joy then suddenly being silenced :P

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-10 07:47pm
Sith Marauder

I don't know, the concept's been done a few times. But it seems funny and whimsical enough. If I remember and have some money when it comes out, I'll likely see it.

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-10 10:48pm
is a laughing fool.

Vendetta wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:

No, for the fan creation you want this one:

Thanks. I enjoyed that video a lot. :)

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Peppercorn Tomatoes slathered in broken guacamole sauce. Put it in the microwave and press puree. 5 seconds in the dumpster and it is ready to be cooked in the freezer at -350 degrees for twenty minutes. Apply pressure in various hamster spots and scream like a psychotic banshee." My reply when asked what was on my mind.

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." - Dawn of the Dragons

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-06-15 05:44am
Padawan Learner

Seems based on Kid Radd. Miss that webcomic.

Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-12 05:54pm
Sith Acolyte

New Trailer up. Looks good. Felix's last line is pure win :D

Zor

Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-14 10:05am
Sith Marauder

"Why do I fix everything I touch?" :lol:

Well that is one situation where an ordinary hammer is much better than a magic "fix-it" hammer.

How did they ever get releases for all of those villains?

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-14 11:44am
Emperor's Hand

Same way they got the releases for all the Warner Brother folks in Roger Rabbit.
Lots and LOTS of Money!!!! :lol:

Have to say it is looking to be a very good movie. Almost looks like it could have been done by Pixar, which is saying something.

Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-14 02:23pm
Jedi Council Member

Ahriman238 wrote:
How did they ever get releases for all of those villains?

Perhaps by citing Toy Story? They're giving game companies free product placement that even gets featured in the trailer - how could you say no to that?

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-15 07:44pm
Padawan Learner

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Same way they got the releases for all the Warner Brother folks in Roger Rabbit.

Have to say it is looking to be a very good movie. Almost looks like it could have been done by Pixar, which is saying something.

Don't disney own Pixar these days anyway? thus it probably is being done by Pixar.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-15 11:12pm
White Mage
White Mage

Pixar or not, this looks like it's going to be a great movie. Nit and I are already planning to see it.

Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-16 07:59am
Emperor's Hand

fordlltwm wrote:
thus it probably is being done by Pixar.

It's not a Pixar film, though John Lasseter is involved as producer. It's an in-house Disney animated film.

What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-16 07:44pm
Sith Acolyte

Crossroads Inc. wrote:

Plus with video games its free advertisement.

Zor

Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-09-17 07:17am
Sith Devotee

Wow.. Hollywood had an original idea...

I'll be waiting for this one.

The Greeks are somewhat undependable allies when it comes to keeping promises. I am sure the fleet of 300 galleys they promised will turn out to be 3 guys in an oversized cooking pot. (Thanas, revealing the plans for German world domination)

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-11-03 01:35am
Sith Acolyte

Definitely a good movie, if not up to WALL-E or Toy Story standards (which is hardly a sin). The references, while plentiful are not intrusive. Sergent Calhoun is awesome, Fix It Felix has plenty of good moments and is charming and the Relationship between Ralph and Vanelope, which carries much of the film works well and is charming.

Their is also a rather good minimalist cartoon that they show beforehand called Paperboy. Cheesy but well executed.

If you have kids or like animation watch it.

Zor

Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor

Post subject: Re: Wreck it Ralph PostPosted: 2012-11-03 04:08pm
Sith Marauder

I really enjoyed it. While I obviously was giving it a lot of unfair +1's for all the video game tie-in gags, I think it really does a nice job of handling itself independent of the theme. Solid characterization, and while it had a problematic section where I felt it was unfairly giving a "know your place" message, the movie came back around and everyone got treated more fairly at the end. I would have liked if there had been a stronger Mea Culpa by the responsible parties so I knew they actually understood why what they were doing was hurtful. There's a few places they could have done that. But it was a really nice movie, a