Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news (minor spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news (minor spoilers)

Post by Vympel »

Note: do not talk about upcoming plot events in this thread. Characters only.

Leaked audition tape confirms Edmure Tully, Catelyn's brother and heir to Riverrun, will be cast
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news (minor spoilers)

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Has Catelyn ever mentioned Edmure before in the TV show? I've heard Riverrun mentioned a couple of times, but never Edmure. It's going to be kind of strange for them to just suddenly introduce Catelyn's brother, conveniently in time for him to be engaged to marry at the Twins.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The marriage in question will probably be in the end of the season. If they introduce Edmure in the opening episode, the way they did Stannis in S2, he'll have plenty of screen time before that happens.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Has Catelyn ever mentioned Edmure before in the TV show? I've heard Riverrun mentioned a couple of times, but never Edmure. It's going to be kind of strange for them to just suddenly introduce Catelyn's brother, conveniently in time for him to be engaged to marry at the Twins.
I don't think there was ever any need to mention him. She mentioned her father, and I can't imagine many viewers being surprised that she has a brother who will be her father's heir. It stands to reason.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

fgalkin wrote:The marriage in question will probably be in the end of the season. If they introduce Edmure in the opening episode, the way they did Stannis in S2, he'll have plenty of screen time before that happens.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Spoiler
It's been confirmed that the wedding will end the season.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

God, what a season ending. If they do it right, the "Holy shit!" factor will be even greater than when Ned was beheaded.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

More casting news

Actors for Daario Naharis, Shireen Baratheon, and Brynden Tully (aka the Blackfish) are being sought. The last one is seen as very likely, not confirmed, given the now-gone audition video.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Guardsman Bass wrote:God, what a season ending. If they do it right, the "Holy shit!" factor will be even greater than when Ned was beheaded.
Eh, Ned's death was shocking because it sort of broke the rules of the genre. This, however, was so blindingly obvious, one could see it coming from half a book away, if not earlier. I mean, if one misses all the other clues, there is this:
Spoiler
“Enough,” Lord Walder broke in. “You may weep and whisper after you’re wed, heh. Benfrey, see your sister back to her chambers, she has a wedding to prepare for. And a bedding, heh, the sweetest part. For all, for all.” His mouth moved in and out. “We’ll have music, such sweet music, and wine, heh, the red will run, and we’ll put some wrongs aright.
Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Guardsman Bass wrote:God, what a season ending. If they do it right, the "Holy shit!" factor will be even greater than when Ned was beheaded.
I don't know what's coming up (though I have an idea), but do you think it will provoke this kind of fan reaction? [Warning: much foul language, including repeated use of Mark Furman's favorite N-word]

Here's a follow-up after the guy regains his composure. Well sorta:

Apparently the producers and Sean Bean got a kick out of the YouTube meltdown:

:lol: :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The reactions will be pretty big like that, although I won't confirm whether they'll be "wow, that was awesome!" or "damn it, what the fuck?!" :D
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

LOL, Larry Williams :)
I don't know what's coming up (though I have an idea), but do you think it will provoke this kind of fan reaction? [Warning: much foul language, including repeated use of Mark Furman's favorite N-word]
Its going to provoke an epic reaction if it can be kept under wraps. Might be difficult to do, it really depends on how many people who watch the series avoid googling the book wiki and then blabbing it all over. That would've been easier to do in Season 1 than in Season 3.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

FYI someone spoiled Larry about the thing in Book 3, not the why or the how but the fact that it happens and who dies as a result was spoiled.
To the eternal shame of all since I was looking hunting for a good scotch to enjoy his episode review after the thing. He's not brilliant, he's not super insightful but his honesty and seeing the reactions of someone who has never read the books as he watches the show is highly enjoyable.

EDIT: fixed for spoilers, Vym.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Edited your post very slightly for spoilers. This is a thread about casting, got off topic real quick lol.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Mr Bean wrote:FYI someone spoiled Larry about the thing in Book 3, not the why or the how but the fact that it happens and who dies as a result was spoiled.
To the eternal shame of all since I was looking hunting for a good scotch to enjoy his episode review after the thing. He's not brilliant, he's not super insightful but his honesty and seeing the reactions of someone who has never read the books as he watches the show is highly enjoyable.

EDIT: fixed for spoilers, Vym.
Shit, as far as I'm concerned, Larry's most interesting moment would have been seeing his reaction to that. It's always fun, unfortunately there was a dearth of instant reaction videos to Ned's death.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

I hope they don't bother too much with, you know, the lisp. It was annoying to read about thapphires, Kingthalyer.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well, the leaked audition tape above would seem to indicate they're not insisting on it. Don't know what the rules for auditions are though.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so which season should "Ser Pouince" be appearing in?

come on we have to have the kittens of incredible daaaaawwwwwww

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Vaporous wrote:I hope they don't bother too much with, you know, the lisp. It was annoying to read about thapphires, Kingthalyer.
Yeah, but it would sound much better on TV. Unfortunately they may not want to take the time to make the character scary in spite of his lisp and just give him an accent instead.

And lol at Larry's face as he received that poster.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Reeds are in, and so is the Blackfish

This list of confirmed new cast for Season 3 is incomplete:-
Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.
(Beric Dondarrion was seen in Season 1, but according to the comments the actor who played him was never "officially" cast, so they could recast him later on. Ok ...)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Wish list?
Tormund Giantsbane:Brian Blessed
Don't care if he's a little old for the role, Tormund is Brian Blessed much like Tyrion was Peter Dinklage.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Holy shit, that's everybody. I figured they'd cut a few minor characters.

The Blackfish's inclusion is interesting. He must have an important role in the last two books, since he's never more than a minor character in the first five.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Guardsman Bass wrote: The Blackfish's inclusion is interesting. He must have an important role in the last two books, since he's never more than a minor character in the first five.
True, but he's a "famous" character in-world, rather like Kevan Lannister. He's a gifted tactician and leader, and he doesn;t appear in the fifth btw ;).

I don't understand the logic of inserting the Reeds after cutting them, it's easy to do I suppose "stumble on them in the north's wilderness", but whatever :P.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I don't understand the logic of inserting the Reeds after cutting them, it's easy to do I suppose "stumble on them in the north's wilderness", but whatever :P.
Because they serve a role going forward but were not necessary in Season 2. Like the guy said in the interview, introducing too many characters in a single season is not good for a non-reader audience. They have a massive cast.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

So, does this mean my dream of seeing Summer Glau as Meera Reed still has a chance?

(Well, no - Peter Dinklage is all the "fantasy cast" we're likely to see)

The Tullys being cast this late in the game is interesting. The Blackfish as a sort of estranged uncle who hangs around Cat is one thing - I guess there could be a thousand ways to explain him being around. Edmure, however, requires shining light on House Tully and the Riverlands. Which will look incredibly random. This is the same area Tywin was stomping around in for most of Season 2 - where the HELL was House Tully? Who are they fighting for? They're the Lords of the Riverlands - you can't just have them ignore giant armies on their turf. And for what? What's so dang important about Edmure Tully by this point? His greatest accomplishment was fucking up Stannis's attack by keeping Tywin in the East - which seems to have happened on it's own here.

On the other hand - Shireen is cast, and Selwyn is not. I forsee some scenes with Stannis and his daughter, which should be comedy GOLD given Liam Cunningham's perfect performance so far.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar