Chuck does Gargoyles

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jedi Master

Re: Chuck does Gargoyles

Post by avatarxprime »

Ahriman238 wrote:Chuck has since done reviews for Long Way to Morning
Ah, the source of one of my favorite lines, "I don't know who's stupider, him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I watched his review of The Mirror and he brings up a point there at the end that matches with my own views.

Q: Why don't the Gargoyles get Puck to fix x problem for them?
A: They aren't stupid enough to ask him for more than the bare minimum needed to get him to fix the previous mayhem.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I never really considered how much of an extra mile of evil Demona went there. She literally went around town, picking random people off the street with a mace for fun.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:I never really considered how much of an extra mile of evil Demona went there. She literally went around town, picking random people off the street with a mace for fun.
There's a reason Demona is my favorite Disney villain after Maleficent. At the very least, she's the House of Mouse's most complex antagonist and a gift to Western animation.

Her confrontation with the Weird Sisters remains a favorite scene of mine. They're essentially right when they throw her questions right back in her face. The massacre at Castle Wyvern -- and by extension, the entire series -- is all Demona's fault. And she can't accept it because she's too consumed by guilt, blaming the humans instead. Goliath's disgust at her ignored epiphany is poignant and really underscores the tragedy of Demona.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

JME2 wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I never really considered how much of an extra mile of evil Demona went there. She literally went around town, picking random people off the street with a mace for fun.
There's a reason Demona is my favorite Disney villain after Maleficent. At the very least, she's the House of Mouse's most complex antagonist and a gift to Western animation.

Her confrontation with the Weird Sisters remains a favorite scene of mine. They're essentially right when they throw her questions right back in her face. The massacre at Castle Wyvern -- and by extension, the entire series -- is all Demona's fault. And she can't accept it because she's too consumed by guilt, blaming the humans instead. Goliath's disgust at her ignored epiphany is poignant and really underscores the tragedy of Demona.
Yeah the whole thing that makes Demona such a great antagonist is that she has meaningfull reasons for why she's the way she is and in case you're wondering what I mean by meaningfull, I mean that those reasons aren't there just to give her a tragic backstory but rather they affect her actions in the present for good or worse.

All too often a villian is given a "tragic backstory" but it really doesn't change anything about the villian, you don't really view the villian's actions in any different light then before and that backstory doesn't seem to have any effect on the present.

Pretty much all the antagonists in gargoyles (at least the first 2 seasons) had some desent reasons from a story PoV as to why they act the way they do, those reasons might be stupid from an in universe PoV but at least they seemed like those reasons truly mattered.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n