Guardians of the Galaxy Coming to Marvel Cinematic Universe

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Guardians of the Galaxy Coming to Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by JME2 »

From Newsarama

It had already been all but confirmed, but it's great to know that the Guardians will be the next MCU film. It makes sense given the end-credits reveal from The Avengers and the threat Earth now faces. And Rocket Raccoon will be part of the team line-up. I cannot wait to see our favorite snarky, obsessive-compulsive, and ray gun-wielding sentient raccoon on the big-screen. :twisted:

And on a side note, it's all but confirmed Bucky Barnes is the antagonist of the second Cap film. Bring on the Winter Soldier, baby! :twisted:
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Coming to Marvel Cinematic Unive

Post by Skylon »

JME2 wrote:
And on a side note, it's all but confirmed Bucky Barnes is the antagonist of the second Cap film. Bring on the Winter Soldier, baby! :twisted:
I'm really not sure how I feel about jumping right into Winter Soldier. Part of the reason it worked was because we had literally decades of the established fact that "Bucky is dead." He was one of the few people in comics who was staying dead. I also, always felt Cap lost something with Bucky's return. Not exactly angst, but I feel he was so tied to WW2 and the entire WW2 generation all knew that friend who didn't make it home.

Keep in mind, I really liked the Winter Soldier arc, but I feel like it should be reserved for maybe the third movie - get Cap more in line with the present day, get him comfortable then give him the shock of having Bucky suddenly back from the dead. But, it sounds like its done, so let's see how it goes.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Skylon wrote:
JME2 wrote:
I'm really not sure how I feel about jumping right into Winter Soldier. Part of the reason it worked was because we had literally decades of the established fact that "Bucky is dead." He was one of the few people in comics who was staying dead. I also, always felt Cap lost something with Bucky's return. Not exactly angst, but I feel he was so tied to WW2 and the entire WW2 generation all knew that friend who didn't make it home.

Keep in mind, I really liked the Winter Soldier arc, but I feel like it should be reserved for maybe the third movie - get Cap more in line with the present day, get him comfortable then give him the shock of having Bucky suddenly back from the dead. But, it sounds like its done, so let's see how it goes.
I'm not crazy about that either. I did like the Winter Soldier story but I agree with you that it works better if it happens after Cap has been in the present for longer. There's still stuff there since Bucky has been used and abused while Cap was out of it but the more extended time period gave it a little more impact IMO.

As for the Guardians of the Galaxy. I am glad that they went with the present day version instead of the future one. They are just a big more interesting than the originals even thought I like the original team. If this version takes off they could end up with some really interesting Marvel characters that I would never have thought would make it into a movie. Besides, Marvels big space giant cross-overs (Annihilation, and Annihilation: Conquest in particular). Lets hope they don't manage to botch things up like DC did with the Green Lantern movie.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Hi, person who does not read comic books here. That shit with dudes named "Groot" and "Star Lord" and a talking fucking raccoon looks dumb as hell.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

DudeGuyMan wrote:Hi, person who does not read comic books here. That shit with dudes named "Groot" and "Star Lord" and a talking fucking raccoon looks dumb as hell.
Hi, person who does not read comics. While we're discussing stuff that looks dumb as hell, how about that movie with dudes named "Chewbacca" and "Grand Moff" and a talking fucking squid. Yeah, that's pretty dumb all right. :roll:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Technically Grand Moff wasn't Tarkin's name, it was his rank and we never saw Ackbar copulate on-screen :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Details, details. "Grand Moff" is a title, and "Star-Lord" is Peter Quill's alias.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Sorry dude but a talking raccoon with an attitude just screams "90s XTREME!!!1"
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Sorry dude but a talking raccoon with an attitude just screams "90s XTREME!!!1"
He's a product of the 70's actually.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Skylon wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Sorry dude but a talking raccoon with an attitude just screams "90s XTREME!!!1"
He's a product of the 70's actually.
hmm why am I not supriced :wink:

that said I wonder how they're gonna pull this off without it looking really silly.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

As far as I'm concerned, being absurd is part of his appeal. Especially since most times he is introduced to a new character, the reaction is "You've got to be kidding" or something similar.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Majin Gojira wrote:As far as I'm concerned, being absurd is part of his appeal. Especially since most times he is introduced to a new character, the reaction is "You've got to be kidding" or something similar.
Hence I'm hoping we get a scene like this in the movie. This is one of my favorite Rocket Raccoon bits.

One of my friends and I also have this amusing mental image of Rocket Raccoon and Robert Downey Jr. knocking back hard liquor at a bar. It'd be not unlike Ted.

I also guess they're going with the Guardians as opposed to the Nova Corps given GL bombing last year.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I was a huge fan growing up of the original Guardians of the Galaxy but I'd be crazy to call them anything but dated now.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I guess we know why the GotG are in the Avengers Movie tie-in Mini series.

"You feel safe flying in this?"

"It's the most advanced aircraft on Earth."

"Why the Hell Thanos wants this planet is beyond me."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Majin Gojira wrote:As far as I'm concerned, being absurd is part of his appeal. Especially since most times he is introduced to a new character, the reaction is "You've got to be kidding" or something similar.
Exactly. He's a harmless-looking critter that likes big guns and shooting big guns. The contrast between his appearance and demeanor is intentional.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Getting back to Bucky for a minute, I too have concerns about the Winter Soldier coming in this early. It would be better suited to a third movie.

But, I think it'll work if done right, especially given that the sequel is going to be post-Avengers. Steve's still trying to adapt to this brave new world, but the victory against the Chitauri and his new comrades-in-arms is a major boost to his adjustment and confidence

And then comes this blast from the past and it threatens to detail all of it.

There's also potential other avenues to explore that could jeopardize his relationship with the Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D. before the next team-up. Remember, in the comics Black Widow had a relationship with the Winter Soldier. How would Cap react if he finds out Natasha knew all this time what had happened to Bucky, but said nothing? Fury at least had the defense that while he knew of the Winter Soldier's existence, he didn't know his identity.
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

He'snot so "90's" in action.

And since the movie isn't out yet, let's see Capcom's rendition:

Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yaaa, which is funny because I live with tons of the little ninjas and realize that in this park they (Procon Lotor) are far smarter than us (Homo Sapiens)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Man, Marvel just keeps shitting all over DC.

Marvel is in a position to not have to worry about a reboot for the next 15 years if the really want. DC can't even get Superman going right.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Havok wrote:Man, Marvel just keeps shitting all over DC.

Marvel is in a position to not have to worry about a reboot for the next 15 years if the really want. DC can't even get Superman going right.
Funny enough if you take a talented director, excellent talent and a huge budget you can get an good movie as long as you have a decent script and it's not like there's not what seventy years worth of comics to pick from?

Look at Marvel's biggest and most massive success the first Iron Man, it was an origin story like most superhero movies right? Except we (the movie going public) had never seen Iron-Man's origin unlike Batman.. unlike Superman which are DC's two strongest brands everyone knows. They can't just make a movie where Superman is Superman... because ancient Voodoo curses or something. Batman Begins worked so well because Nolan managed to make a Batman we all wanted to see, the Arkham Asylum style grim gritty there really could be this kind of Batman running around in our world style Batman.

The second thing was even back in Iron Man they planted plot hooks to other possible movies, they gave them self someplace to go the instant Samuel L Jackson walks in and starts talking about the Avengers Initiative. They had a plan.

DC by contrast has hopes... Superman Returns felt like the sequel to a movie we never saw and the only place it went was into another Superman movie. Man of Steel I'm guessing will be the exact same way. They farmed their property out so much they have half a dozen crews pulling in a dozen different ways, there's no coordination so there can be no building towards the Justice League. And worse DC suffers from the long term realism gap, except for Bats lots of DC's Heroes are the capes and superpowers variety, they are very inhuman.

And third they just seem to strike out with script choices, look at Green Latern, or just very weird movie choices like Catwoman or Jonah Hex or hell Steel (Remember when Shaq had an acting career?)

The other thing is simple volume, Marvel has a 3 to 1 movie ratio to DC. By simple metrics they have more material to work with and sans Elektra I think everything at least made back it's budget before DVD sales were added in which means they have nothing but profit from even the flops with the successes being record setting successes and the old records being broken are other Marvel movies.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm staying in that drawer for a reason.
I'm honestly not sure what the powers at DC are thinking (if they're thinking at all)-their animated stuff is decent enough (I really look forward to Young Justice resuming-assuming it ever does, and GLTAS wasn't so bad either, nor were the DTVs) but on the live action front, they not only seem to not really know what they're doing, they're not doing much of anything to begin with. For the 21st century, there's the Nolan Me movies (the first two of which were admittedly awesome-DKR doesn't open here until the 26th so no opinion yet), Superman Returns which was...less than stellar and Green Lantern, which, while actually a pretty okay movie, was not worth anywhere near its production cost.
Marvel had what, 16 movies in the same time?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Maybe after DKR, we'll see some better DC movies.

And maybe you'll find a portal through to this world, and bring your corporation and tech with you.
I can dream, can't I?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Batman wrote: and Green Lantern, which, while actually a pretty okay movie, was not worth anywhere near its production cost.
No, it really wasn't. It introduced a character to humanize Hal Jordan (IE: "Look! He's a nice guy! He treats his little cousin well! He's not TOTALLY a jerk!") and dropped the character completely after that. Literally, it was an extremely forced attempt to make the lead more human that not only did not really work, it had NO BEARING on Hal's development or the rest of the movie other than for that one scene.

It might as well have been a stray dog that he pet, because at least THAT could exit the movie without anyone thinking about it.

That, and the villain went from "Giant Yellow Space Bug" in the source material to "The Great Mighty Poo". Who the hell thought that was an improvement.

Sure, there's worse, but it's still bad on a basic script structure level. That's not "Pretty ok" bad. That's demonstrably bad. I only rant because, as someone trained as a screenwriter, that first point is a cardinal sin that should NOT have made it through an A picture's development and only speaks to how problematic the entire production for this must have been. Characters with names who have no bearing on the plot really should not be introduced in the first 30 minutes unless it's part of a gag, or they are or will be a corpse.

Why couldn't they have just made an anthology movie like the "Tales of the Green Lantern Core" movie their animated house did? I mean, we could have had a live action version of "Mogo doesn't socialize."

Man, there's a reason I read Hal Jordan's lines in Zap Brannigan voice . . .
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Because nobody outside the fan community has a clue what the Green Lantern Corps is. 'Emerald Knights' worked because it was aimed a that community. This movie was aimed at the general audience.
And yes, they ruined Parallax, but as far as I'm concerned so did DC Comics, and again, that's something only the fan community would care (or know) about.
As a standalone movie, to an audience that doesn't know much if anything about the Green Lantern subset of the DC universe, I maintain this movie was okay. Certainly not brilliant and definitely far less than that to the fans that do know the universe, but nevertheless okay, popcorn movie level.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Batman wrote:Because nobody outside the fan community has a clue what the Green Lantern Corps is.
I'm going to point to Iron Man, because the same could have been said for him. The argument is equally false.
'Emerald Knights' worked because it was aimed a that community.
Actually, I think it to had its share of flaws. But I'm a jerk that way, and those flaws are relatively minor.
And yes, they ruined Parallax, but as far as I'm concerned so did DC Comics, and again, that's something only the fan community would care (or know) about.
That doesn't really address the nature of the complaint. It's hard to make a villain who looks like a pile of urine and fecal matter with a face pasted on it credible in any sense of the word. It works in comedy (The Golgotham comes to mind), but not for a serious villain.

He literally looked like crap.
As a standalone movie, to an audience that doesn't know much if anything about the Green Lantern subset of the DC universe, I maintain this movie was okay.
Even in the face of a massive structural flaw, which was just one of several within it? Shit, that's not even a mistake "Attack of the Crab Monsters" makes! I happen to like "Attack of the Crab Monsters" too, but I understand that it is a very bad movie. "So Bad its Good" bad.

Don't let your personal liking of a movie fool you into thinking that it's anything other than extremely flaws or downright bad.

Green Lantern has, from what I recall of my one viewing, an unlikable protagonist which is given the flimsiest and most offhanded humanization I have ever seen. That is the core flaw that sinks the entire picture. There's other problems, I admit, but I really don't want to track them down bit by bit, the unlikeable protagonist is, to me, the core one, and the structural problem created to try and cover for that just exacerbates the problem. There's more problems with the character, but simply pointing out the flaws of the film isn't really going to do much to change your opinion, I think. Hell, I'm realizing more as I think about.

And it's not, in my opinion, limited to the movie. Hal Jordan himself is the sort of character that pretty much died with John Wayne. Modern audiences and modern sensibilities simply cannot accept that sort of hero straight in a modern production. There's a reason I made that last comment regarding Zap Brannigan. Parodies and subversions are more common and acceptable these days. Part of me thinks it's a bit sad in some cases, but that's where we are now.

We need our heroes to be more obviously flawed.
Browncoat