GoT:Clash of Kings Season 2 Spoiler Free

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Aniron
Padawan Learner

Re: GoT:Clash of Kings Season 2 Spoiler Free

Post by Aniron »

I wonder if I'm the only one who is growing tired of this "sexposition" stuff. It's fine if the dialogue is put front and center, but that wasn't the case in season one when Little Finger was doing his stuff while we saw Ros and her cohort doing theirs. During this episode, Theon's dialogue was not put in front either. It even ends in a force plow that doesn't need to be there. Do the creators really think this is an excellent decision? It obviously works on paper, but not on screen. I had to watch the scene multiple times to understand his back story. Could they have not had him talking about this on horseback with his sister?
Last edited by Aniron on 2012-04-10 01:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

To which Jon will reply "yeah, sure, but at least I don't sacrifice babies to Others." :)

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Elfdart wrote:Anyway, back to the story. Why does Jon Snow go running off into forest at night without his dire wolf?
Ghost often breaks away to hunt. Jon is sure that he's near by, and Ghost always shows himself when he calls him, but he doesn't follow too closely to the riders which is welcome since the horses are uneasy around him.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Rogue 9 wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:How is Renly a wimp? I mean, aside from not being like his brother Robert and wanting the 'good old days' where either there was a tyrant on the throne or a war in which a lot of people were killed, he hasn't shown any wimpiness that I remember. Heck, I wouldn't call that wimpiness either, I'd call that sanity.
Well, he cannot stand the sight of blood, for starters. :P
Eh I don't think its the sight of blood he can't stand. After all, he did go hunting even if it wasn't a favorite activity and was a regular at the tournaments where blood was often spilled. The scene you are thinking of I think he was more shocked that because the blood was his after having just been cut by the guy shaving his pits lol.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

TheHammer wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:How is Renly a wimp? I mean, aside from not being like his brother Robert and wanting the 'good old days' where either there was a tyrant on the throne or a war in which a lot of people were killed, he hasn't shown any wimpiness that I remember. Heck, I wouldn't call that wimpiness either, I'd call that sanity.
Well, he cannot stand the sight of blood, for starters. :P
Eh I don't think its the sight of blood he can't stand. After all, he did go hunting even if it wasn't a favorite activity and was a regular at the tournaments where blood was often spilled. The scene you are thinking of I think he was more shocked that because the blood was his after having just been cut by the guy shaving his pits lol.
Loras very pointedly did that because Renly can't stand the sight of blood.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Is the "Lord of Light" a brand new god, or is he/it worshiped in King's Landing? I am having difficulty finding out which god goes in which pantheon as i have not read the books.

Everything i mentioned before came completely form the episodes dialogue.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

lordofchange13 wrote:Is the "Lord of Light" a brand new god, or is he/it worshiped in King's Landing? I am having difficulty finding out which god goes in which pantheon as i have not read the books.

Everything i mentioned before came completely form the episodes dialogue.
The Lord of Light is one of the most prominent gods in Essos, but he is barely known in Westeros. He is not worshipped in King's Landing so he, as well as the Drowned God of the Ironmen (Cthulhu?) are two new deities introduced this season.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Was this established in the first season at all? I don't remember it being so, but it's been a while since I've seen the episodes. Well, aside from the odd tree thing Bran was praying to.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I doubt that this is spoiler material, but just in case...
Spoiler
The "odd tree thing" is a manifestation of the old gods, the gods worshipped by those who inhabited Westeros before the first invasion. Recall when Jon spoke his oath, he and his fellow recruits were asked if any of them "kept the old gods". The Lord of Light is new to this season.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Crown wrote:
Elfdart wrote:Anyway, back to the story. Why does Jon Snow go running off into forest at night without his dire wolf?
Ghost often breaks away to hunt. Jon is sure that he's near by, and Ghost always shows himself when he calls him, but he doesn't follow too closely to the riders which is welcome since the horses are uneasy around him.
Which reminds me: the way Ghost was added to the shot looked great. It was so much better than the way Robb's wolf was done, which looked really fake. Ghost looked like an actual wolf, though a huge one. I've always been of the opinion that it's almost impossible to create believable artificial humans and animals with special effects because we as humans are taught from birth AND naturally inclined to notice the tiniest bits of body language from our own species and familiar animals. It looks as though with Ghost, they used footage of a real wolf, enlarged it, and spliced it in.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Some basic stuff on the religions of this world. I don't think it will "spoil" your view of the show since it is only a brief explanation of the religions on the story, but I'm going to "spoilerize" it anyway just in case. Some details on the religions have not been shown yet and the last one will show up on upcoming seasons, but I don't think this will affect your enjoyment of the show:
Spoiler
- The old gods: worshiped by the Children of the forest, worshiped by the First Men. The main religion on The North and beyond the Wall. It is sort of the "spirits of nature" and the white face trees are where you go to pray to them. It is unknown how many of them there are and they have no names.

- The Faith of the Seven: Basically the Christianity of their world. One single god with seven faces. The main religion on the Seven Kingdoms (except for the North and the Iron Islands). Brought to Westeros by the Andals when they invaded several thousands of years before. They have churches (septs), priests (septons), nuns (septas) and a pope (the high septon).

- The Drowned God: Religion of the Iron Islands. they believe on this underwater god who died and came back to life stronger than he was before. He has a counterpart called the Storm God and they are in eternal struggle.

- The lord of light/Red God/ R'hllor: One of the main religions on Essos (the eastern continent). Practically unknown in Westeros. God of light, god of fire. Basically his followers bellieve that this is the only true god and any other gods are false and a manifestation of R'hllor's nemesis with which he's in eternal struggle.

- The Great Stallion: god of the Dothraki. As everything else on their culture, it's a horse.

- The Great Shepherd: the sheep god of the Lhazar, some people butchered by the Dothraki by the end of first season. The maegi Mirri Maz Duur was a priestess of this god.

- The Faceless God: God of the faceless men (an assassin brotherhood on the free city of Braavoss). Basically: Death. It considers that all the gods of Death from any other religion is just another face of their god (including The Stranger from The Faith of the Seven)
Those are all I can remember right now...
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

That, that is exactly what I'm talking about that's fucking spoilers and book knowledge, this is a thread about the show not the books.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It's definitely book knowledge, although only the last part has serious spoilers for the show. I guess you could ask Mayabird or Steven to clean it up, rather than cluttering this thread with spoiler boxes.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Elfdart wrote:Which reminds me: the way Ghost was added to the shot looked great. It was so much better than the way Robb's wolf was done, which looked really fake. Ghost looked like an actual wolf, though a huge one. I've always been of the opinion that it's almost impossible to create believable artificial humans and animals with special effects because we as humans are taught from birth AND naturally inclined to notice the tiniest bits of body language from our own species and familiar animals. It looks as though with Ghost, they used footage of a real wolf, enlarged it, and spliced it in.
I think they used a forced perception shot myself, with Ghost in the foreground and the girl in the background, but yeah I agree with you, which is why I suspect Robb and Grey Wind were shot at night under minimal lighting.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

L.A. Times: Third Season on the way.
"Game of Thrones" is getting another season, HBO officially announced Tuesday.

Though most people assumed the hit fantasy series would be back again -- it's been receiving rapturous reviews and great ratings -- its third season is now guaranteed.

Ratings for the second season premiere hit a series high, with an accumulated gross audience of 8.3 million viewers over the episodes multiple airings.

"Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season -- and then surpassed them," President of HBO Programming Michael Lombardo said in a statement. "We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we've received for the series, and can't wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season."

If Benioff and Weiss continue to follow the pattern they've established in the first two seasons, then the third season of "Game of Thrones" will takes its story lines from the third book in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, titled "A Storm of Swords."

"Swords" is one of the longest books in the series and many believe that in order to fit all the events into the television series it would need to be spread out over more than one season. Benioff and Weiss have spoken openly in the media about the idea of playing it out over the course of two 10-episode seasons. The first two seasons have managed to fit in most of the events of the first two books. However, HBO has not yet greenlighted a fourth season.

The idea of playing out the books over multiple seasons will probably be a relief to Martin, who is hard at work on the sixth book in the series, but has said that it'll take him a couple more years to finish it. Nothing like the locomotive of a TV series in production to spur an author's output.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, that's good news. I am curious what they are going to do if they get to season six, when there are only five books out.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, that's good news. I am curious what they are going to do if they get to season six, when there are only five books out.
Book 3 is Seasons 3 and 4 this has pretty much been confirmed. Books 4 and 5 will together be Seasons 5 and 6 which gives Martin three more years to get them enough to do a Season 7 out of a Times of Wolves and he has enough notes to produce Episode 8. It might be a Full Metal Alchemist situation where suddenly Kaiser Wilhelm invades but he's got enough set out already to easily fill out a 8th or 9th Season.

*Edit
Questioned about this at a Q&A awhile back Martin confirmed he had enough material from A Time for Wolves to produce Season 7 right now. His books is not done but it's Martin fucked up writing style that results in A Time for Wolves already being 35% done while A Dream of Spring is supposedly 40% done.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

Mr Bean wrote: Book 3 is Seasons 3 and 4 this has pretty much been confirmed. Books 4 and 5 will together be Seasons 5 and 6 which gives Martin three more years to get them enough to do a Season 7 out of a Times of Wolves and he has enough notes to produce Episode 8. It might be a Full Metal Alchemist situation where suddenly Kaiser Wilhelm invades but he's got enough set out already to easily fill out a 8th or 9th Season.

*Edit
Questioned about this at a Q&A awhile back Martin confirmed he had enough material from A Time for Wolves to produce Season 7 right now. His books is not done but it's Martin fucked up writing style that results in A Time for Wolves already being 35% done while A Dream of Spring is supposedly 40% done.
Wait, isn't book six going to be 'The Winds of Winter' and book seven 'A Dream of Spring' (previously titled 'A Time for Wolves')?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Shadow6 wrote:[
Wait, isn't book six going to be 'The Winds of Winter' and book seven 'A Dream of Spring' (previously titled 'A Time for Wolves')?
I might have gotten the names wrong but that's the idea, two books left both some what done and they are seasons 7-10 IE could be season 7 and 8 or 7,8,9 or a full tenology... whatever you call a ten show series.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, a woman can compete in a tournament, but can't be part of the Kingsguard, is there something I'm missing here?

Also, I loved how Tyrion was able to give the same story except for who the Queen's daughter was going to, and determine who couldn't be trusted that way. Although, what was he going to do if more than one person told?
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, a woman can compete in a tournament, but can't be part of the Kingsguard, is there something I'm missing here?
It's not a matter of rules, just social taboos.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, a woman can compete in a tournament, but can't be part of the Kingsguard, is there something I'm missing here?

Also, I loved how Tyrion was able to give the same story except for who the Queen's daughter was going to, and determine who couldn't be trusted that way. Although, what was he going to do if more than one person told?
He'd be able to bust them, too. Tywin gave him strict instructions to crush anyone (naming those three in particular) who showed the tiniest hint of disloyalty.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

That's an understanding queen that Renly has.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

She definitely understands that it's a political marriage, first and foremost.

Natalie Dormer is pretty damn hot, too.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood