Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Steve »

Well, new episode up, and to start my review off; we finally see Amon's power. And it is frightening.

Amon has Energybending*.

Somehow, apparently through contacting the Spirit World, Amon has learned the bending art Aang used to depower Ozai. We see him use it on several Triad members to great effect. And hence the goal of the Equality movement is revealed; to deliver Benders to Amon to be forcefully depowered.

And their ability to fight Benders is damn good too; Electric batons for stunning and Ty Lee's chi-blocking techniques (confirming a theory stretching back to the announcement of the series) to temporarily cripple.

I think that whatever mechanism Amon had on his wall, the real threat is that he intends to use Energybending on Korra herself, destroying the Avatar Cycle. And as we know from the White Lotus master's comment in the pilot, Korra is going to be extremely vulnerable to a spiritual attack like that. At least as she is currently, having generally ignored the spiritual side of being the Avatar. It makes Amon the perfect nemesis, really; physically she is a powerful young woman with strong bending abilities, but spiritually she is undeveloped, while to accomplish this Amon's a spiritual heavyweight on par with the Avatar and Ozai (remember how close Ozai came to beating Aang in the duel of spirits).

Of course, like any good early Revelation (heh), it almost asks more questions than it answers. Amon's claims of his backstory aside... who is he? Is he really just the only survivor of a family wiped out by a criminal Firebender or is that a cover story? If he is in contact with the Spirit World, how did he learn of it and how did he use it to learn how to Energybend? We know his goals, but there is still a strong enigma about him.

And on lighter notes: Paku is clearly the Momo to Naga's Appa. Mako and Bolin's backstory has a very eerie similarity to Amon's claimed backstory (hmmm), and the whole thing of losing his parents at age eight to a (Firebending) mugger screams of being a Batman homage. And one wonders if Mako's really working at the power plant as claimed...

We meet the organizer of the Pro Bending fights, a greedy dickhead who confiscates all of the Fire Ferrets' winnings and demands more money from them to enter the tournament, knowing full well they're broke orphans. I hope Korra puts him in his place.

Korra is finally getting through the spinning gates, so she's starting to grasp the fundamentals of Airbending. Given Airbending's emphasis on defensive maneuver and tactics, it should prove useful against the Chi-blockers. And the scene of Jinora and Ikki teasing Korra over Mako was much-needed humor in an episode that became very, very dark.

As a final note: I love the 1930s serial-style recap at the beginning of the episode, with the Pro Bending play-by-play commentator providing the narration. Don't really like the abbreviated opening, but if it gives us another minute of story it's a sacrifice I can live with.

I'm eagerly awaiting next week's episode.

*Two notes. One, I believe some have referred to the Lion-Turtle's technique as Spiritbending, not Energybending. Two.... a part of me is skeptical, a bit, over whether Amon really has the skill or if it's just a very advanced form of chi-blocking.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Steve »

Now, for some real horror, imagine the system Amon would have to create to maintain a Bender-less world. He would need to erect a supremely powerful State capable of maintaining close watch on the populace to discovery any Benders arising out of the population. Since it occurs in children, we're now talking about a State that would swoop down on a family and seize said child to be brought to Amon (and any theoretical students he teaches the practice to) to be forcefully depowered. To keep such a State in power against dissent would require the elimination of any real democratic concensus, with all parties having to be approved by the Equalists for having sufficient Equalist credentials.

In other words... a surveillance state with special (secret?) police to find benders, taking children from parents to force de-bending, and an aversion to democracy since such would require forbidding any dissent against anti-bending policies. And Republic City would probably also end up in a war with the Fire Nation at the very least, since Firebending seems part and parcel of their ruling government. The Earth Kingdom is also a likely foe.

Amon could very well trigger another world war in trying to impose Equalism upon the entire globe. At the very least he's looking to turn Republic City into a totalitarian state, complete with a cult of personality around himself, that would be at war with its neighbors.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, even with his tech and Ty Lee's chi-blocking arts, Amon's playing a dangerous game.

Even if he assumes totalitarian control over Republic City and de-powers its benders, the threat he poses to bending could be enough to bring down the others cultures' armies on him -- or launch similar civil wars in those countries. And the irony is that as per his rhetoric, it's bending -- albeit his - that'll bring down about another war.

I also don't think Amon came clean with the masses either - or at the least, I think there may be a grain of truth in his story. You're analysis of Amon's threat paints him in a different light and you're right; it makes him the perfect foil for Korra in Book 1.

That Amon knows energy-bending doesn't surprise me. What one person discovered, someone else could discover or learn. It makes you wonder if someone else picked up where Hama left off. But if really he was contacted by the Spirit World, then who could be stirring up trouble like this? Koh? It may just be advanced chi-blocking, like you speculated.

I'm also guessing it'll speed up Korra's training in the hopes of speaking with Aang's spirit for counters on dealing with this.
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

And on lighter notes: Paku is clearly the Momo to Naga's Appa. Mako and Bolin's backstory has a very eerie similarity to Amon's claimed backstory (hmmm), and the whole thing of losing his parents at age eight to a (Firebending) mugger screams of being a Batman homage. And one wonders if Mako's really working at the power plant as claimed...

Didn't we see him working at the power plant in the episode?
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

We see him welding something. Could just be the power plant.... or it could be something else.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I think it was a power plant, using Lightning bending to charge batteries. Which is hillarious to me.

Also, stupid fan idea: Amon is a servant of Koh, the Face Stealer and HAS NO FACE under the mask. How can he speak/eat/sense? Spiritbending Koh taught him.

Probably not true but imagine the mask coming off and seeing NO FACE behind it.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Steve wrote:*Two notes. One, I believe some have referred to the Lion-Turtle's technique as Spiritbending, not Energybending. Two.... a part of me is skeptical, a bit, over whether Amon really has the skill or if it's just a very advanced form of chi-blocking.
I suspect the two are one in the same. Chi-blocking is the basic technique that's survived through normal humanity, the most basic form of energy-bending. The Lion-Turtle's gift was the most advanced technique; one which was dangerous as hell to Aang to do ONCE. Yet Amon repeats it several times.. Amon's packing some interesting power.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

First off thanks to Nick for streaming these online for free on the same day. So nice not to have to DVR this or hunt a stream.
Second I already love this series and this episode show because again the tiny details like Amon being reflected in the eyes of the mob boss who's powers he takes.
As for Amon he's got a great little possibly fake backstory and I don't think he's a victim/discipline of the face-stealer because he has eyes and Koh takes everything.
Also another comment I love Amon's lackies, he's got spec-ops ninjas riding motorcycles, he's got gravel voiced lightning right hand man and unlike the hordes of faceless fire-benders of Aang's times the Chi-blocking Ninja's of Amon are actually intimidating not only because they look like they can fight but how they fight. They get in close mix it up and have gadgets, the faceless Firebenders of Aang's time threw a little fire got bonked on the head and they were out, the only time Aang and co felt like they were in danger was mixing it up with Azula and her bunch. Now maybe as the series goes on the group will start taking on ten at once like Aang was doing by Season 3 but some-how I don't think so.

OAN:Korra hates mornings, good to see the Avatar is getting the wisdom part down early. :P

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Majin Gojira wrote:Also, stupid fan idea: Amon is a servant of Koh, the Face Stealer and HAS NO FACE under the mask. How can he speak/eat/sense? Spiritbending Koh taught him.

Probably not true but imagine the mask coming off and seeing NO FACE behind it.
We do see his eyes behind the mask.

Two general observations...
1-Lightning has become allot more common since Avatar: TLA. Only members of the royal family could shoot lightning beforehand back during the war. Now there are Firebenders providing power for the city as blue collar workers and criminals like Lightning Bolt Zolt can do it. Guess bending advances with technology. A good idea.
2-Pabu is so adorable. You combine the Ferret...
...with the Red Panda...
...the result is so lovable. Guys working in genetic engineering, work to defictionalize the fire ferret ASAP.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

1-Lightning has become allot more common since Avatar: TLA. Only members of the royal family could shoot lightning beforehand back during the war. Now there are Firebenders providing power for the city as blue collar workers and criminals like Lightning Bolt Zolt can do it. Guess bending advances with technology. A good idea.
I wonder if we're thinking about this the wrong way. Are metalbending and lightning bending really advanced skills at all? Maybe the royal family were the only ones who could lightning bend because they were the only ones who really tried. Toph was one of the most powerful Earthbenders on the planet, if not the most powerful, but maybe she was the first one to find a way of doing it, and after her it wasn't that hard for others to follow. Or, alternatively, the standard of bending has vastly improved, so that benders are more powerful than before.

I was pleased to hear Amon talking about the spirits. But it's curious that he is the one to mention it, not Tenzin. For someone who uses technology so much, I would have expected him to be secular. Unless of course he really did have contact with the Spirit World.

I wonder if they'll touch on how secular bending has become (i.e. it's now a sport).

Did anyone also see Tenzin go all shifty-eyed when Korra mentioned Amon having the ability to take away someone's bending?
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

The Nickolodean website mentions that Zuko is still alive, travelling the world as an ambassador after having abdicated the throne in favour of his daughter.

Also, it mentions that the most powerful waterbenders can bloodbend. So I guess we'll be seeing that in the series. Maybe doctors can do it?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

hongi wrote:The Nickolodean website mentions that Zuko is still alive, travelling the world as an ambassador after having abdicated the throne in favour of his daughter.
So he's in his late 80's; not bad for the pony tailed brat we were introduced to in "The Boy in the Iceberg".

Might explain Dante Basco's unknown role later in the season.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

hongi wrote:
I wonder if we're thinking about this the wrong way. Are metalbending and lightning bending really advanced skills at all? Maybe the royal family were the only ones who could lightning bend because they were the only ones who really tried. Toph was one of the most powerful Earthbenders on the planet, if not the most powerful, but maybe she was the first one to find a way of doing it, and after her it wasn't that hard for others to follow. Or, alternatively, the standard of bending has vastly improved, so that benders are more powerful than before.
I'd go more with the former. Iroh said that only the best benders could master ligthning bending, however it's likely that the technique is difficult to perform (even Azula wasn't perfect) and its something a master would only even think of teaching to their best students. Maybe with the increasing need for lightning benders they are just trying to train anyone they can. That being said, Mako did say that he was making some good money doing the work, so clearly lightning benders are still in demand and it's not like everyone can do it. I would assume that metalbending is the same, with only a select few capable of actually using the technique, making the elite skills of the three bending arts we know of Bloodbending, Metalbending, and Lightning bending. Hopefully we end up finding out what Airbending's special skill is over the course of the series.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

hongi wrote:
I'd go more with the former. Iroh said that only the best benders could master ligthning bending, however it's likely that the technique is difficult to perform (even Azula wasn't perfect) and its something a master would only even think of teaching to their best students. Maybe with the increasing need for lightning benders they are just trying to train anyone they can. That being said, Mako did say that he was making some good money doing the work, so clearly lightning benders are still in demand and it's not like everyone can do it. I would assume that metalbending is the same, with only a select few capable of actually using the technique, making the elite skills of the three bending arts we know of Bloodbending, Metalbending, and Lightning bending. Hopefully we end up finding out what Airbending's special skill is over the course of the series.
If memory serves Aang only ever mastered 48 of the 49 or so air bending techniques required to be a master ( but because he invented that air ball technique, it was considered a +1 so he was given his master tattoos) so Aang did not know ALL the master airbending techniques, so there may be something he never passed onto Tenzin.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, I haven't seen this episode yet. But I am going to make a big speculation. What if the energy bending actually allows Amon to steal a bender's powers, as well as depowering them? Thus the revolt of the equalists is just a fascade.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm going to say that unless there was a big change in how energy bending works or is animated, it's not really energy bending. Energy bending, when we saw Aang perform it on Ozai, made them both glow their inner selves, which we did not see with the Triad members or Amon. Amon was wearing a mask, so that might have camouflaged it, but we still should have seen his victims spirits glow. I say it's an act the Triad are performing in conjunction with the Equalists to rally support. After all, that's what Amon was after, word of mouth.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Zor wrote:fire ferret
Polar bear-dog is best fictional pet.Image

:P
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

FaxModem1 wrote:I'm going to say that unless there was a big change in how energy bending works or is animated, it's not really energy bending. Energy bending, when we saw Aang perform it on Ozai, made them both glow their inner selves, which we did not see with the Triad members or Amon. Amon was wearing a mask, so that might have camouflaged it, but we still should have seen his victims spirits glow. I say it's an act the Triad are performing in conjunction with the Equalists to rally support. After all, that's what Amon was after, word of mouth.
I thought that glowy thing was just for the benefit of the viewers, and that what we saw between Ozai and Aang was really on a spiritual, invisible level. I doubt the Korra creators would be so careless with the details as to not include the glowy visuals if it was truly necessary to energybend.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

mr friendly guy wrote:Ok, I haven't seen this episode yet. But I am going to make a big speculation. What if the energy bending actually allows Amon to steal a bender's powers, as well as depowering them? Thus the revolt of the equalists is just a fascade.
Completely unlikely speculation: Spoiler
What if Amon is Firelord Ozai? "Preserved" due to Aang's energybending freezing his aging, and him having learned how to do it, due to it being done to him?
It would tie in nicely, explain him having access to a "power" reserved to the Avatar, and his exceptional Charisma, fighting skills and organizational abilities.
(Especially with the comic last establishing Zukkoh as bending back backwards for his father :roll: , so he could have escaped, although it would seem a bit odd that no one mentioned something like that.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FaxModem1 wrote:I say it's an act the Triad are performing in conjunction with the Equalists to rally support. After all, that's what Amon was after, word of mouth.
If it was an act, then why would the Triad be willing to go along with it ?
If they pretend to have lost their bending, then they become less intimidating. Making it harder for threaten people into giving them money.

What about Bolin ?
If it was an act and had Korra and Mako not stepped in, he would have to pretend his bending was gone. Which means he's out of the pro-bending game, which is his main source of income.
Then there is the issue of hiding whatever he got in return for playing along from Mako.

I can't see the loss of bending being an act, such a plan has too many holes.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Completely unlikely speculation: Spoiler
What if Amon is Firelord Ozai? "Preserved" due to Aang's energybending freezing his aging, and him having learned how to do it, due to it being done to him?
It would tie in nicely, explain him having access to a "power" reserved to the Avatar, and his exceptional Charisma, fighting skills and organizational abilities.
(Especially with the comic last establishing Zukkoh as bending back backwards for his father :roll: , so he could have escaped, although it would seem a bit odd that no one mentioned something like that.
Spoiler
While seventy years might be too short, the idea of an immortal outliving his infamy is hardly a new one. Or even if he was not "preserved", he wouldn't be the first ~110 year old in the show to still be a powerhouse.
I don't think it's true, but it's an interesting theory.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

General Schatten wrote:
Zor wrote:fire ferret
Polar bear-dog is best fictional pet.Image

:P
Its going to have a hell of an upkeep cost though.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Regarding the more widespread metalbending/lightningbending, it may simply be the case that training has gotten a lot better in the last 100 years. When Aang was running around, the world was at war, resources were being rationed, and bending secrets were being horded for the combat advantage they present. It's probable that only the Fire Nation had any kind of public schooling system, and not surprisingly they also had a whole lot of benders even though their nation had lost their spiritual base. So most of the benders we saw back then were trained haphazardly, with a wide variety of teaching styles and quirks and little optimization.

By Korra's time, though, I could very easily see public schooling getting benders basic training very early, especially in Republic City. Techniques that were considered super advanced may not actually have been that advanced, but rather nobody bothered teaching it to any but the most promising students because it is considered rare, a self-perpetuating cycle and one that Aang would probably have rejected.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

My thoughts on Energy-Bending:

If removing a Bender's abilities is based on Chi-blocking, Aang would have had serious problems with it because he was using a Master Technique when he had none of the basics. That alone would make it dangerous.

Next, add in the fact that the Chi-blockers seen so far have been Non-Benders. While we can agree that a Bender wouldn't need taught Chi-blocking, let's focus on the Non-bender angle for a moment. A non-bender has no elemental connection, has no bright showy abilities. It is all internal, a focus of willpower and technique.

Thus, my theory is that Energy-Bending was so dangerous to Aang because of who he was -- AirBender & Avatar, as well as a novice attempting an advanced technique. If Aang had done it wrong, he would have been the one locked, and it would have possibly ended the Avatar Cycle completely. It was dangerous because it was Bender vs Bender. One of them was sure to lose everything.

Amon, a non-bender and possible Chi-Master, knows what he is doing (regardless of where he learned it). It is obvious that the FireBender was fighting back, the gouts of lightning that weakened to fire and then trickled down to nothing demonstrated that he was losing, as lightning weakened to fire, then to a trickle of sparks before winking out. There is nothing seen from Amon because he has no Elemental connection, nothing to make a visual sign of the battle of wills. Nothing to show, and nothing to lose, as Chi-Blocking is not based on innate bending, but on technique, skill, and willpower.

Thus, Aang was in danger because he was risking everything, while Amon risks nothing because he has no Bending to lose.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

I think it's probably less complicated than that. When we saw the energy crap with Aang, it was from his point of view. We're seeing things, roughly, from Korra's point of view, so that's why there's no energy.

Yeah, so this show is awesome. Anyone surprised by how much Korra and the Ferrets suck at fighting though? The Equalists owned them.