Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Skgoa
Jedi Master

Re: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Post by Skgoa »

Gandalf wrote:
Alkaloid wrote:I dunno, I always thought the last few chapters in the book would have been better if the PM actually deployed the army to fight the armed gang of magical terrorists. That way there could have been artillery and AA guns mounted in the castle turrets, posh army officers getting to defend a castle and thinking it's the best thing ever and MBTs sallying from the castle to have running battles with giants in the grounds. Execution is almost always more important than concept.
The only way for that to not suck would be if Rowling put in a moment where Voldemort and his cronies basically have a magical "off switch" for the tanks and such, rendering them useless. It'd shut up the damn gun wankers who ruin too many discussions, and be pretty funny to watch.
That's built into Hogwarts, as has been referenced throughout the series. Not only that but why would a slap of metal and ceramics be any use against magical curses? I have touched on this in my previous post but I feel it bears repeating: it's incredibly childish to think one is more intelligent then everyone else in a given fantasy setting, just because one knows of solutions that work in real life but that have not been used in the respective setting. OBVIOUSLY there is a reason wizards don't use tanks or they would have them. OBVIOUSLY there is more to magical currency than meets the eye, or counterfeit money would be ubiquous. (And actually, in book 4 iirc we are shown that you can't get money through magic and Hermione had said as much even earlier.)

edot: That's the biggest failing of this Fanfic. It's not methodological or rational, it's pure author fiat and nerd wank.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Skgoa wrote:That's built into Hogwarts, as has been referenced throughout the series.
Perpetuating the continually annoying "Science vs. Magic" cliche (not that aspects of the story don't go there).

Or you could call it a fiat to get around having to write magic mixing with tech.

Ah, for the days of Jenny Calender the Techno-Pagan.
Not only that but why would a slap of metal and ceramics be any use against magical curses?
Given what we've seen, we already know that dense materials have an innate resilience towards Magic. I like Dumbledoor's magic eating dancing armor. Is their spell eating the result of some other spell, or an effect of the metallic construction? Then there's the large magical creatures which all feature magical resilience. I speculate that the large size (and necessitated increased density in many cases) may be the root of it.
I have touched on this in my previous post but I feel it bears repeating: it's incredibly childish to think one is more intelligent then everyone else in a given fantasy setting, just because one knows of solutions that work in real life but that have not been used in the respective setting.
Given that the Harry Potter series runs on Whimsy, that gives the setting far to much benefit for the doubt. Especially given their insular, reactionary, elitist construction.
OBVIOUSLY there is a reason wizards don't use tanks or they would have them.
I can think of several reasons that are more social and psychological rather than "They have the power to overcome this."
edot: That's the biggest failing of this Fanfic. It's not methodological or rational, it's pure author fiat and nerd wank.
And I'm just reminded of the Main Page and the Federation's lack of heavy artillery, armored ground vehicles and special weapons technology and how it is treated there.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Alkaloid wrote: I dunno, I always thought the last few chapters in the book would have been better if the PM actually deployed the army to fight the armed gang of magical terrorists. That way there could have been artillery and AA guns mounted in the castle turrets, posh army officers getting to defend a castle and thinking it's the best thing ever and MBTs sallying from the castle to have running battles with giants in the grounds. Execution is almost always more important than concept.
So you think the climax of a seven book story. Should ignore all its characters it set up of the course of the series and instead have a bunch of normal people with guns come in to save the day.

You are an idiot.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Just to put in my two cents...yes it can get annoying when someone goes 'LOL science pwns Magik!!'. Especially in the setting...its Harry Potter for Gods sake! Not some science story. Sorry, that is one of my pet peeves...(when people have guns slaughter the Wizards, or indeed vice-versa).

Also, people tend to not like Ron or Dumbledore. And at the heart of most Ron-haters, is a Harry/Hermione fan. Seriously, if you actually look, a lot of the anti-Ron/anti-Weasly stories relate to people who are ticked off that their pet ship didn't happen.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think that's a big part of it but there are other reasons. Ron being disloyal in Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows for example. Plus the later books and the films really play up the comic relief sidekick aspect of Ron's character. In those later books when did Ron really contribute or do anything useful? There's like one paragraph in Deathly Hallows that describes that Ron's become a real force of encouragement driving the horcrux hunt after Harry and Hermione make a mess of it at Godric's Hallow. But that's just a paragraph of exposition and is quickly forgotten when the Malfoy Manor section gets going.

not to get deeply into shipping (aw hell why not?) but Harry/Luna is the only alternative ship I can see that could/should have been canon.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Skgoa wrote:That's built into Hogwarts, as has been referenced throughout the series. Not only that but why would a slap of metal and ceramics be any use against magical curses?
People tend to dive for cover when said magical curses are flying around? If you dive for cover, it's a sign that you can avoid being hurt by getting out of the way, or hiding behind something.
I have touched on this in my previous post but I feel it bears repeating: it's incredibly childish to think one is more intelligent then everyone else in a given fantasy setting, just because one knows of solutions that work in real life but that have not been used in the respective setting.

OBVIOUSLY there is a reason wizards don't use tanks or they would have them. OBVIOUSLY there is more to magical currency than meets the eye, or counterfeit money would be ubiquous. (And actually, in book 4 iirc we are shown that you can't get money through magic and Hermione had said as much even earlier.)
In a setting like Harry Potter, where the 'magical' population is actually very small, the obvious reason why no one has tanks is because there aren't enough people fighting large-scale wars to make it worth the effort. It is strongly implied that the population of "magical Britain" is... I don't know, small enough that they can send practically all their children to Hogwarts. That doesn't sound like enough people to justify creating massed standing armies with artillery and armored support.

And counterfeit money- what of it? I don't know why you even mention it...
I'm having trouble grasping your definition of "nerd wank." Is it "nerd wank" to think "this setting would be greatly disrupted by an outside-context problem?"
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Just to put in my two cents...yes it can get annoying when someone goes 'LOL science pwns Magik!!'. Especially in the setting...its Harry Potter for Gods sake! Not some science story. Sorry, that is one of my pet peeves...(when people have guns slaughter the Wizards, or indeed vice-versa).
Agreed. Any kind of story that reduces to "A trashes B without even trying very hard" should be kept to short-story length or less, because the strength of the premise won't carry it beyond that length.

Insofar as the Methods of Rationality story has enough strength to run longer than that, it's only because there are other themes- discovery, some degree of character evolution, and multiple conflicting lines of scheming. Insofar as it's a weak story, it's mostly because of the "A trashes B" stuff running in thick veins throughout the plot.
Also, people tend to not like Ron or Dumbledore. And at the heart of most Ron-haters, is a Harry/Hermione fan. Seriously, if you actually look, a lot of the anti-Ron/anti-Weasly stories relate to people who are ticked off that their pet ship didn't happen.
[/quote]The friendship between Harry and Ron also makes a lot more sense with the 'real' Harry of Gryffindor than with the comically Ravenclaw Harry we get in this story. There's just no level on which this version of Harry and the normal version of Ron would actually connect with each other, whereas there's plenty of common ground to let Harry and Hermione connect with each other.
Last edited by Simon_Jester on 2012-04-03 03:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...true. I forgot about how Ron's character went severely down hill in the latter books/movies. Still though, the shipping war is part of it. Which annoys me since I tend to stay far away from that stuff, but it is almost impossible to find a good HP fic where it isn't involved. Though I could have seen Harry/Luna too.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I'm like 50 chapters into this thing so I must like it well enough, but one thing bothers me.

It's not that science pwns magic, or vice versa, or anything. So far Harry's "combine magic with science, become god" plan has amounted to one little trick of limited utility, and a whole lot of frustration.

It's not that Harry is too much of a Mary Sue in the classic sense. Not everyone likes him, he makes a certain amount of trouble for himself, and even this super-smart nerdwank version gets whipped by Hermione at almost everything.

But I swear to god if the pretentious little shit brings the story to a screeching halt one more time to describe some fucking sociology experiment or whatever in vastly more detail than the situation demands, I am going to fucking barf. He'd get slapped in the mouth talking the way he does.

Fuck you, Fanfic Harry. Hermione is still smarter than you, and she manages not to be an asshole about it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

(Spoiler...I haven't actually read this fic :P )

So wait...uber-smart Ravenclaw Mary-Sue Harry is still not as smart as Hermione?! :shock: How the heck did the author manage that? I was under the impression that this Harry was a butthole who was smarter than anyone else (Hermione included).
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

I never read the actual HP books, but this fic's version of Hermione has a near-photographic memory, memorizes whole books in short order, and has kept ahead of Nerdwank Harry in everything except transfiguration (where his one small science-related payoff came) and broom flying, the latter of which both feel is stupid and doesn't count. She does this while still seeming like Hermione, and not an authorial mouthpiece.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

DudeGuyMan wrote:But I swear to god if the pretentious little shit brings the story to a screeching halt one more time to describe some fucking sociology experiment or whatever in vastly more detail than the situation demands, I am going to fucking barf. He'd get slapped in the mouth talking the way he does.
I got about as far as you. This shit was a main factor in why I gave up on this. It just kept happening. All the time. And I got sick of it. The story just wasn't interesting or engaging enough to make up for having the author constantly use Harry as a mouthpiece for pretentious bullshit speeches.

It was the other characters that kept things moderately interesting, like Hermoine, yeah.

That said, my favorite moment happened fairly early on, when Harry realised who'd been leaving the notes. About the game. That whole bit actually entertained me a fair bit. I laughed.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I think one of my favorite scenes in this fic is when Harry helps stop some Gryfindors from bullying a Slytherin, Snape uses this to learn about Harrys invisibility cloak and then asks Harry for advice about "a friend" who's girlfriend left him for someone else.

Harry then says "Well, I don't know about this stuff personally but I've read books that say women are attracted to people with money and looks due to genetic predisposition resulting from generations of pre-Enlightenment humanity... blah... blah... it sounds like this girl is just shallow and the guy the left him for is a jerk and a bully but he's rich and has confidence and that's why it happened." (Okay yeah, I can barely remember what he said.)

Snape (looks at Harry): You know Harry... you almost died today.

Harry: Wait... what?!

Snape: That friend of mine? Was me. The girl I was in love with was your mother and the "jerk" who stole her from me was your father. If I was slightly less in control of myself I'd probably smack you upside the head or kill you for what you just said. As it is, I strongly suggest you learn exactly what someone is asking before you give them advise like you just did.

I don't know. I just find that scene so perfect for Rational!Harry who pulls out all sorts of sociological theories to apply to everyday things, then have him unintentionally insult a guy to his face and have to be told to cut the crap.

If it's any consolation: I think in this universe the reason harry acts like such a manipulative entitled shithead is that he has a piece of Voldermorts soul lodged in his brain and its giving him increased intelligence without the maturity or whatever to use it. Doesn't excuse the author tracts though.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

DudeGuyMan wrote:But I swear to god if the pretentious little shit brings the story to a screeching halt one more time to describe some fucking sociology experiment or whatever in vastly more detail than the situation demands
I find this amusing as all of Eliezer's technical lectures are like that. I mean yes, this stuff is quite important and realistically most people aren't going to go read the Kahneman trilogy just because you gave it a glowing review, but it does tend to crowd out the actual subject matter. I suppose that's just a reflection of the 'with medidation we can become superrational superhumans' theme crowding out the actual AI stuff at the SIAI.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rossum wrote:I think one of my favorite scenes in this fic is when Harry helps stop some Gryfindors from bullying a Slytherin, Snape uses this to learn about Harrys invisibility cloak and then asks Harry for advice about "a friend" who's girlfriend left him for someone else.

Harry then says "Well, I don't know about this stuff personally but I've read books that say women are attracted to people with money and looks due to genetic predisposition resulting from generations of pre-Enlightenment humanity... blah... blah... it sounds like this girl is just shallow and the guy the left him for is a jerk and a bully but he's rich and has confidence and that's why it happened." (Okay yeah, I can barely remember what he said.)

Snape (looks at Harry): You know Harry... you almost died today.

Harry: Wait... what?!

Snape: That friend of mine? Was me. The girl I was in love with was your mother and the "jerk" who stole her from me was your father. If I was slightly less in control of myself I'd probably smack you upside the head or kill you for what you just said. As it is, I strongly suggest you learn exactly what someone is asking before you give them advise like you just did.

I don't know. I just find that scene so perfect for Rational!Harry who pulls out all sorts of sociological theories to apply to everyday things, then have him unintentionally insult a guy to his face and have to be told to cut the crap.
Wow. That's less that being 'rational' Harry has downsides. And more that Snape is really really obsessive and fucked up. Which is kinda in character for him.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Alkaloid wrote: I dunno, I always thought the last few chapters in the book would have been better if it ignored the characters and concepts that the series had been about in favour of my completely out of place masturbatory fantasy.
Fixed that for you.

Also, this is why J.K. Rowling is a wildly successful author, and you aren't.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

So you think the climax of a seven book story. Should ignore all its characters it set up of the course of the series and instead have a bunch of normal people with guns come in to save the day.
No, I think that Voldemort destroying the isolation and uniqueness of the only world he felt was worthy of him in his efforts to control it and his final defeat being brought about by people he despised would have been nice. I think that Harry, when exposed to what he was actually expected to do to defeat Voldemort would have been entirely justified by going to people he had been told he was never allowed to go to for help but who didn't expect him to kill himself to solve their problems for them would have in some ways been a more satisfying ending. And I think that the wizarding world really really needed to see that when they systematically isolated and destroyed a lot the most capable, reasonable and compassionate people amongst them in an effort to preserve their own isolation and superiority to a world they felt they were better than, they created a system where Voldemort or someone like him would be able to get his hands on far more power than he should. And Harry saving the wizarding world like that rather than through voluntarily having himself killed would have in some respects been more satisfying. I don't really dislike the suburban mums and dads band together to fight terrorists ending, but I think it might have been too idealistic for the world that was presented in the last three books.
Or, you know, body chemistry, general care taken for appearance, sense of humour, never using racial epithets toward you, any of the countless other things that aren't money or looks that affect human relationships on a daily basis that aren't money or looks. I seriously question whether some of these people have ever actually ever met another human being.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Snape was an unforgivable moron in that scene just for asking such a question of an eleven-year old (even a super smart one) and treating the answer as anything more than meaningless noise.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I found a couple of the scientific tidbits i hadn't heard about before interesting, but most of the psychology/sociology stuff was plenty familiar to me.

I like that a sizeable number of Harry's schemes in this fic fail utterly. And that he's still a small fish in a big pond, so Quirrel and DUmbledore are still capable of manipulating him most of the time.

My favorite part, it was early on, Harry was going over his options for dealing with a problem until he got to Plan D: inform a responsible adult, and immediatly asks himself why this wasn't Plan A. As a teacher, I frequently ask why this wasn't some student's first resort, but the answer is always depressing.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Majin Gojira wrote:
Skgoa wrote:That's built into Hogwarts, as has been referenced throughout the series.
Perpetuating the continually annoying "Science vs. Magic" cliche (not that aspects of the story don't go there).

Or you could call it a fiat to get around having to write magic mixing with tech.

Ah, for the days of Jenny Calender the Techno-Pagan.
I agree. It would actually have been interesting to see how the muggle-born kids could impress their wizard-born peers with "magic" that wasn't magic.

Majin Gojira wrote:
Not only that but why would a slap of metal and ceramics be any use against magical curses?
Given what we've seen, we already know that dense materials have an innate resilience towards Magic. I like Dumbledoor's magic eating dancing armor. Is their spell eating the result of some other spell, or an effect of the metallic construction? Then there's the large magical creatures which all feature magical resilience. I speculate that the large size (and necessitated increased density in many cases) may be the root of it.
Were des the energy go, then? Clearly, if they interacted at all, a powerful curse would impart quite a lot of energy on the victim's clothes. This is true for several of the spells we see, but many of the curses used in combat don't even singe the combatant's clothes. And I just realized you could simply heat a tank up untill the crew is dead. This is an actual tacitc that has been used successfully in war. And the wizard could fly higher than the canon can track or put up a magic shield. So yeah, tanks are useless...

Majin Gojira wrote:
Given that the Harry Potter series runs on Whimsy, that gives the setting far to much benefit for the doubt. Especially given their insular, reactionary, elitist construction.
It's still the setting and no one but Rowling gets to decide its rules.

Majin Gojira wrote:
OBVIOUSLY there is a reason wizards don't use tanks or they would have them.
I can think of several reasons that are more social and psychological rather than "They have the power to overcome this."
That's nice for you. The important point is that there are reasons and that going "they shoulda jused tanks LOL!" is stupid and arrogant.

Majin Gojira wrote:
And I'm just reminded of the Main Page and the Federation's lack of heavy artillery, armored ground vehicles and special weapons technology and how it is treated there.
Because that's exactly the same situation. :roll:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Vendetta wrote:
Alkaloid wrote: I dunno, I always thought the last few chapters in the book would have been better if it ignored the characters and concepts that the series had been about in favour of my completely out of place masturbatory fantasy.
Fixed that for you.

Because she's aggressively traditional?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've been enjoying some of it, but not other parts.

There's great ideas and some clever moments, but they're increasingly buried by Harry being an obnoxiously non-11 year old cunt.

The bit with the time travel experiment was probably my favourite thus far, if not for the coda that Harry appends.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Fixed that for you.

Because she's aggressively traditional?
Because she understands that the solution to your arc should come from things already established in your arc not something entirely out-of-context. How does Harry defeat voldemort in the end? The power of love and self-sacrifice and (sadly) wandlore. Both of those were established to one degree or another in the very first book.

Now granted the sudden introduction of the Hallows in DH is a weakness of that book but if it had been Harry calls in muggles to win the day that would be the same problem only thousand times worse.

----

Now people saying this fic is trying to advertise AI or transhumanism or something is just hilarious if its true. It just reminds of the global warming episode of Futurama and Al Gore's speech:

'As I say in my book 'Earth in the Balance' and the much more popular 'Harry Potter and The Balance Of Earth' we need to protect the world from climate change... as well as Dark Wizards'
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I keep up with the story. I find enough enjoyment in it to suffer through the monologues, and the "Victory in 24 hours" aside had me in stitches.

Mainly, though, I like it when Harry gets put in his place. Yesterday's chapter is a sterling example; Dumbledore took him to school figuratively as well as literally.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Skgoa wrote:Were des the energy go, then?
Refraction, Reflection, conversion into other forms, depends on the target.
Clearly, if they interacted at all, a powerful curse would impart quite a lot of energy on the victim's clothes.
Given that most clothes are permeable and an active spell acts, as near as physics can determine without introducing Ghostbusters or Atomic Robo science into it, as a gas, I really don't see a problem with a gas passing through a permeable substance to take an effect on a less permeable substance.

In truth, most spells operate on the defunct ideas of Spiritualism, where an ectoplasmic medium is used to convey the things, and the spell activating on a human target would be activating in their ectoplasmic matrix.

Or some such bullshit.

Yeah, Spiritualism lives on in modern fantasy.
And I just realized you could simply heat a tank up untill the crew is dead. This is an actual tacitc that has been used successfully in war. And the wizard could fly higher than the canon can track or put up a magic shield. So yeah, tanks are useless...
And right there, you show you clearly don't know what a tank is used for in warfare. This is like saying an Attack Helicopter makes the tank obsolete.

It sort of does, but not for its current role (which is being made obsolete due to the types of wars we now fight).

Or, to use an example you think you aren't calling on:

This is like claiming that Phasers make body armor obsolete in Star Trek, when it also can protect against abrasions, melee combat and other situations beyond handling direct weapons fire.

Or that Transporters make Personnel Carriers obsolete, in spite of the fact that they can be jammed by natural phenomenon and man-made devices.
It's still the setting and no one but Rowling gets to decide its rules.
Pardon her for being consistent with what she set up, and so what if you don't like it.

Go read the Dresden Files series instead if that sort of thing bothers you.

No, really go read it. It's pretty darn fun.
That's nice for you. The important point is that there are reasons and that going "they shoulda jused tanks LOL!" is stupid and arrogant.
My point is to dismissed the idea that their lacks of tanks held any latent "They don't need them" affinity attached to it.

That's like arguing that Star Trek society is less advanced than Star Wars tech due to the latter's lack off transporter tech and then claiming that said tech would provide them an advantage in a conflict.

I mean, which is more believable: That Wizards have unseen magics (which were not used in their WAR) which can overcome tanks, or that an elitist, secretive society would be unaware of a technological advancement made by those they consider their inferiors, reluctant to use such advancements due to preexisting and rigid prejudices that society has against said inferiors or have trouble incorporating that technology due to the nature of their magic having a bad effect on digital technology in particular.

Since the first appeals to the unknown, we go with the later due to Occam's Razor. Q.E.D.
Because that's exactly the same situation. :roll:
You're claiming, as near as I can tell, that their lack of a specific technology shows within a society shows that they do not need it or have a method of reproducing/super effectively countering it upon the battlefield.

Which is the EXACT claim made by trekkies on those mentioned pages regarding Trek's lack of heavy weaponry, armor, special weapons, etc.

So, yeah, it is relevant.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

God, I just see a tone of errors in that post that I can't correct ATM.

Well, for the Ghetto Editing:
My point is to dismissed the idea that their lacks of tanks held any latent "They don't need them" affinity attached to it.

That's like arguing that Star Trek society is less advanced than Star Wars tech due to the latter's lack off transporter tech and then claiming that said tech would provide them an advantage in a conflict.
SHOULD be:
My point is to dismissed the idea that their lack of tanks held any latent "They don't need them" affinity attached to it.

That's like arguing that Star Wars society is less advanced than Star Trek tech due to the Former's lack off transporter tech and then claiming that said tech would provide them an advantage in a conflict.
Browncoat