Homestuck Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Homestuck Thread

Post by Instant Sunrise »

ANDREW HUSSIE presents MS Paint Adventures: Homestuck.

What is it?

The style of Homestuck is similar to a text-based adventure game with graphics.

Except that the interpreter hates you.

And has a wicked sense of humor.

It is the 4th comic in the MS Paint Adventures series, following JAILBREAK, BARD QUEST, and PROBLEM SLEUTH.

What is Hamsteak about?

It's about four kids that play a game that causes the end of the world.

More or less.

You should read it, this thread is to discuss it.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Re: Homestuck Thread

Post by open_sketchbook »

Thank you for making this thread. I've been into Homestuck in a big way recently and I need to discuss it with other people at something less than the insane breakneck speed of the MSPA forums.

I'm sort of disappointed they cut away from Dave and Karkat's hilarious shenanigans, though the hilarious shenanigans of Jade and John have almost made up for it. Any ideas what John will see in his sleep?
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Well I guess Roxy just walked all over John in his sleep.

So question answered then.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Oh hey, we finally got a thread for this here.

So who else is expecting a sudden perspective shift to a tangentally related character?

Come to think of it you could say that after any update...
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Also, please click the ANDREW HUSSIE link in the OP to read the greatest comic ever written.

I think we'll have a few more pages of this before getting back to the alpha kids. But I'm used to perspective shifts, since I've been reading since Act 3 or so.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I don't know, maybe if we cut to Jade and Davesprite? But I think we're leaving John here, every other time we've seen someone in that position we've changed perspective in the next panel, so yea.

When I got up to date we were about at the start of Act 5 Act 2, so it's not like I'm not used to perspective twists either.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Okay I am just LOVING Meena

aka

SASSY TEEN CONDESCENCE
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

She just wants to fill people with holes to pass the time, adorable.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Wow, John hadn't died in a long while. I was beginning to get worried.
Think about it.

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

He's like the new Daniel Jackson
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Oh good, I thought I might annoy people if I told them about Homestuck. Now someone else has done it. I've been reading it for almost half a year now, checking fan works pretty regularly, and even following the Tumblr crowd. Gogdamn, I am following this comic with an intensity I have seldom felt. I feel that Homestuck has attained a 'breeder reactor' level of fandom that will create enough stuff to keep itself going even if the story were to suddenly terminate due to the death of Hussie or something. That's probably due at least in part to the masterful trolling of the shippers and Troll Romance.

And yeah, even Dave and Karkat know that John dying is no big thing.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Looks like we're getting a flashback to Terezi's reaction right after "Make Her Pay"

Should be interesting.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Nerdfang exposition! Looks like we're going to find out what happened in the pre-scratch session, which might shed some light on the Batterwitch, assuming we don't get some stuff with Karkat/Dave with Meenah doing that too of course.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

So damn many new characters, I'm utterly confused. Need a new recap.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

The current goings-on are really interesting. We sort of assumed that the Pre-Alternia trolls were pacifistic or something, but it looks like that's an oversimplification.
Think about it.

Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

open_sketchbook wrote:The current goings-on are really interesting. We sort of assumed that the Pre-Alternia trolls were pacifistic or something, but it looks like that's an oversimplification.
well, they're pacifistic relative to the A2 troll society

which will make nearly anything seem pacifist in comparison.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Aw crap, He Is Already Here alright, but damn if I don't love character!Hussie's reactions to all of this.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

I guess with Hussie dead, that's the end of homestuck.

RIP
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

He should wait a week to update, just for the lulz.
Think about it.

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

...HUSSIE! Damnit, stop fucking around and get back to the story.

Oh, and the new Album is out.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

And now nothing until 4/13, gods damn it.

On the upside it means another epic page though!
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Holy shit dudes, what a twist. We're going to get some weird troll fusionsprites!

He has an odd number of bodies. Though odds are we get a Feferi/Eridan sprite, it'd be funny if Eridan ends up forever alone, even in death.
Think about it.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I posted this a little bit after Cascade, and it sums up my opinion on Hometuck:

A few days ago I decided I would doubleteam Homestuck and Berserk, and I am now up to date with the former (and the latter). So anyway I thought I should bring some class to this establishment.

First things first: Homestuck is actually pretty bad. As a story its basically complete drivel, and more than that it is atrociously paced. I can't imagine how you people managed to survive actually reading along. Howeverrrrrrrr it is complete drivel which has a lot of effort put into it. I realised last night that part of what makes Homestuck what it is is the fact that no one is quite as bad as Andrew Hussie when it comes to story telling. He is quite simply the worst there is.

Not only has Homestuck been dragged out for so long that its frothy entrails have been wrapped halfway around the world, pretty much every plot revelation has been a load of shit, wrapped in a mess of completely irrelevant/self-indulgent time/fourth wall wankery. None of it really adds up to a very compelling narrative as such. But I mean that's the charm.

You see it might be an awfully paced load of horseshit but it's also pretty funny. Most of the genuine comedy gold is in the pesterchum logs/trollian memos, which basically means that the saving grace of Homestuck is the kids and the trolls. Admittedly there are some good visual jokes in the panels proper, like the unbelievably ill Huggy Bear in the clouds thing as John decides not to pass through the seventh gate.

Basically if the main cast of characters was any less rad the whole thing would be a total wipe, ill beats and elaborate flash videos notwithstanding. I mean, honest to fuck, who cares about Doctor Cueball and his ridiculous pool table themed boss? The answer is everyone who isn't a giant retard. They only care because the cool as ice cast happens to be jacked right into the cascade of nonsense. I mean all that stuff with regards to the Derse Agents doing shady business? If it wasn't just irons in Vriska's sick fires I can't imagine it being even remotely interesting. Maybe some people go for the superficially elaborate stable timeloop stuff, but Problem Sleuth ended up being boring as all get out largely because the cast were just pawns in weird overlong puzzle shit.

Okay, I'm rambling. But basically the cast saves it. They have such colourful personalities and engage in colourful banter. They feel real enough and and lame enough to be really convincing as characters, so its easy to get invested in their success or failure, even if the actual events in which they succeed or fail is, as aforementioned, a whole bunch of bullshit. It's like, I spent the whole time finding their idiosyncrasies, insecurities and try-hard overcompensation (note that this mostly applies to the trolls, as the kids are a little less like deranged alien psychos). Like pretty much every conversation Dave has is a total winner, especially if its a conversation in which he is just shooting the shit with Terezi. I especially liked the playable sections because the conversation windows had so much personality, like Vriska's dramatic hair flip or Karkat's various facial expressions. Admittedly some of the characters are less interesting than others, like how Eridan is really only notable for being a GIGANTIC SADCASE or Nepeta for the meta shipping stuff, but these are decent jokes in and of themselves so you know, no big.

So yeah, characters I like usually doing stuff I hate. Kind of fascinating.

PS. Terezi owns.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

TLDR, Ford thinks Hussie sucks ass at writing, but loves the character's Hussie writes. He critiques the pacing-but loves the stuff that takes up most of the 'bad pacing'. Ford is probably going to need to freebase some fanfic, and I recomend Promstuck if you don't mind John <3 Karkat, Rose <3 Kanaya, and Dave <3 TH3 S33R OF PROM.

Also, we are now down one horrible fusion-sprite abomination against nature. Everyone who said that was what was going to happen has now been refuted by the Author. Who is dead.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

I read most of Problem Sleuth, and that shit just got too convoluted and silly for me to stomach near the end, and at some point I just couldn't bring myself to care about the updates anymore because it things got too self-referential and over the top. Someone recommended me Homestuck a few months back and I read it for about half an hour before realising it was going to follow in those same footsteps, particularly when someone told me it gets even more ridiculous than Problem Sleuth. And since it hadn't done enough to draw me in in that first half hour, I dropped it and moved on. I'm quite happy for it, but I might give it a try again someday. It must have some redeeming qualities if so many people who I share interests with also enjoy it.

MSPA has spawned something I love, though, and that's PREQUEL. Aka "Making A Cat Cry: The Adventure". Has many of the things I enjoyed from Problem Sleuth, lacks a lot of the things that drove me insane, is funny and dramatic and face-palm worthy. It's fun and I like it.

Something I find amusing is that a dude created a song making fun of Homestuck fans, and it's actually rather popular with Homestuck fans.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ